Favorite tea producing region of Japan ?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aichi
No votes
Fukuoka
5%
Gifu
No votes
Kagoshima
25%
Kumamoto
5%
Kyoto
50%
Mie
No votes
Miyazaki
No votes
Saga
5%
Shizuoka
5%
Other
5%

Total votes: 20

Sep 26th, '11, 05:19

by zencha » Sep 26th, '11, 05:19

Sep 26th, '11, 08:03
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Favorite tea producing region of Japan ?

by Chip » Sep 26th, '11, 08:03

For those wondering where is Uji, Yame, Ureshino ...

Uji is in Kyoto
Ureshino is in Saga (Kyushu Island)
Yame is in Fukuoka (also on Kyushu)

Sep 26th, '11, 08:29
Vendor Member

by Xell » Sep 26th, '11, 08:29

Most tea that i drink comes from Ureshino, so it's Saga, though i didn't try yet everything on list. Need to fix this soon :D But it's not clear lead and can change depends on mood or even weather.

Sep 26th, '11, 10:11

by JRS22 » Sep 26th, '11, 10:11

Maybe an OTTI with samples from each of the regions.......... This morning my favorite is Uji, because that's where my beloved Sencha Otsuusan is from. Although I believe it's a blend, so who knows? That's why I voted other.

Geographic origin and cultivar are such big issues with fine Chinese greens but until you asked this question I didn't consider it for Japanese greens. More pre-purchase homework, but at least the "test" in this course is drinking the tea.

Sep 26th, '11, 10:38

by Chip » Sep 26th, '11, 10:38

JRS22 wrote:Maybe an OTTI with samples from each of the regions.......... This morning my favorite is Uji, because that's where my beloved Sencha Otsuusan is from. Although I believe it's a blend, so who knows? That's why I voted other.
Well, the imminent OTTI 11 will have selections from several prefectures/regions. :mrgreen: Some info is here, but yopu will have to check out the new topic on Wednesday to find out which regions: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 95#p207715

Sep 26th, '11, 11:01

by Chip » Sep 26th, '11, 11:01

I have always favored Kagoshima a bit over Uji (Kyoto), and Shizuoka, And Yame (Fukuoka).

I (over)simplify my approach this way ... and rank ...

Kagoshima, innovative with the advantage of warmer climate enabling the use of more varietals. Up to 5 years ago, there was virtually 1 and only one source for Kagoshima leaf to the West. I used to scour the internet trying to find more sources. Suddenly the market opened up. Hopefully in the long term this will not dilute the quality of Kagoshima teas.

Uji, steeped in tradition. Incredible asamushi comes from Uji where the Yabukita varietal reigns supreme by a huge margin.

Shizuoka, the workhorse region ... tea for the masses. But great teas come from here (and often not so great). They have been hurt by the radiation fallout issue ... I finally took a hardline stand in the Spring and stated I would reassess my position in around 6 months. However I am likely to soften my stance on Shizuoka tea.

Yame, best known for gyokuro, but also producing sencha and matcha.

I would lump several others together as they are "best of the rest" more by default since there is not a lot of exposure to West for many other regions. Ureshino(Saga), Sayama, Mei, Aichi ... are most notable for me.

Sep 26th, '11, 11:53

by NOESIS » Sep 26th, '11, 11:53

Uji (Kyoto). Definitely.

Sep 26th, '11, 12:44

by sherubtse » Sep 26th, '11, 12:44

Here is the link to an interesting chart, relevant to this discussion. It is from the Teas of Japan website, operated by fellow TCer flonihoncha:

http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... &chapter=0

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Sep 26th, '11, 14:46

by bambooforest » Sep 26th, '11, 14:46

I went with Uji but am not entirely confident with my choice.

Number two would probably be Kagoshima.

On some level I just don't feel like I've had enough different Japanese green teas to know the answer to this thoroughly.

I think that all the regions of Japan are capable of producing the same quality... I basically went with Uji because grassy tasting sencha is probably my favorite style and it seems they make it in this style more from this region than others. In fact, the only vendor I've had grassy tasting sencha from is o-cha.

Sep 26th, '11, 16:16

by shinobicha » Sep 26th, '11, 16:16

I agree with bambooforest, on some level, I too, don't feel like I've had enough teas from different regions to make good judgment for myself.

Yet, I chose Shizuoka (mostly Honyama) - by far my most favorite teas have come from here. However, this is only because I've had (by far) the most teas from here. That will hopefully change in time. :)

Outside of Honyama, I really like Yame (Fukuoka). I have had so little tea from Kagoshima (just 2011 YM and Chiran Sencha, which were both very good), so it's hard to know. The gyokuro I've had from Uji was excellent, but the sencha didn't compare to the other regions. As I said though, I have very little to go by (O-cha Kirameki was very good, but Maiko Maruyama was not so good, imo).

Sep 26th, '11, 16:17

by brlarson » Sep 26th, '11, 16:17

Yame teas are my favorites, so Fukuoka for me. Their sencha, gyo, and matcha always put a smile on face. Kyoto (Uji) is a strong second with Kagoshima in third. I've had one tea from Gifu Shirakawa that bowled me over, so Gifu might move up in my list in the future.

Sep 27th, '11, 02:19

by Oni » Sep 27th, '11, 02:19

UJI, although I like Kagoshima sencha for that citrusy aroma, but Uji was the first love, and they have the best gyokuro and matcha....

+ Post Reply