Yuuki-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

Aug 31st, '11, 13:32

Re: Yuuki-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

by teaisme » Aug 31st, '11, 13:32

please let me know how it is tead I've been looking at them for a while now :)

Sep 1st, '11, 12:41

by Tead Off » Sep 1st, '11, 12:41

teaisme wrote:please let me know how it is tead I've been looking at them for a while now :)
I've only had 2 sessions with the Miyazaki Tokujo Kamairicha. Both yielded good results. This is quite different than sencha. It doesn't have the oceanic quality that many senchas have yet has a clear and lingering green flavor that sits squarely on the tongue and back of throat. Clear liquid, no muddiness with a bit of a drying finish in the mouth. In some ways, it reminds me of Korean green tea. It's a nice change from the usual sencha/gyokuro repertoire.

Sep 1st, '11, 13:59

by teaisme » Sep 1st, '11, 13:59

Thanks!

Had a chance to try some of their $5 bancha. Very different from their senchas. It's smell reminded me of a green first flush darjeeling I had (but much more subtle). Taste also seemed similar, along with leaf appearance. very little flower, very little fruit. Perhaps this is what a green darjeeling is like before it is oxidized to turn it into a black? (never had a green darjeeling). Went down nice and I get the feeling this one has plenty of efficacy in promoting good health!

Sep 13th, '11, 06:59

by Tead Off » Sep 13th, '11, 06:59

Organic Kumamoto Yabe Supreme Sencha.

This is a really delicious tea. A Saemidori cultivar which is mid-steamed (chumushi). Very smooth, sweet, and, full flavored. Buttery mouth-feel. One of the most delicious senchas I've ever had. This one moves to the top of my list!

Sep 26th, '11, 09:54

by Nathaniel87 » Sep 26th, '11, 09:54

I placed an order from Yuuki-Cha this month instead of my usual from Ippodo because I thought a change of pace might be nice.

Of the 450 grams I ordered I have only tried the Organic Kumamoto Sencha Yabe Supreme and Organic Kagoshima Sencha Kirishima No Kaori
so far. Of the two, the first is certainly a bit nicer even though I wouldn't say it is necesarily a direct comparison.

However, both teas lack the deep richness that I have become addicted to thanks to Ippodo's Sencha offerings.

My biggest complaint so far would be that there are a far greater number of stems and oxidised leaves than I am used to...which I can't say has a profound effect on the final taste but is nonetheless unexpected in higher priced teas in my opinion.

While the Yabe Supreme has been enjoyable, the Kirishima No Kaori has been a disappointment so far...but I am still holding out hope that I will find a nicer way to brew it.

Also, I do have 50g of one of their Kamairicha that I am still looking forward to try.

In terms of service, I have never had any problems with them and have ordered a kyusu, teabowl and a few orders of Sencha so far... With the exception of this most recent order, these orders were all last year before the Yuuki-gate scandal broke.

Sep 27th, '11, 16:15

by teaisme » Sep 27th, '11, 16:15

yeah I understand what you mean when it comes to richness
Not as much of that slap you in the face pow

I kind of like it like that though. It seems like this preference has evolved. Initially disappointing might have described what I felt, then I drank more, now I can't go back too often to the other because it just seems too bold and dare I say less 'harmonious'.

Sep 28th, '11, 01:16

by Nathaniel87 » Sep 28th, '11, 01:16

Yes, there is certainly something to say about simply growing accustomed to certain tastes. I think perhaps part of my initial disappointment came from the fact that I had been drinking a very different style of sencha almost exclusively for so long that the difference I noticed in Yuuki-cha felt like something was off. However, I will say that after getting through about half of each of those teas so far my overall impression is growing more positive. I could see how someone would even prefer this type of sencha.

Sep 28th, '11, 06:35

by Tead Off » Sep 28th, '11, 06:35

Nathaniel87 wrote:Yes, there is certainly something to say about simply growing accustomed to certain tastes. I think perhaps part of my initial disappointment came from the fact that I had been drinking a very different style of sencha almost exclusively for so long that the difference I noticed in Yuuki-cha felt like something was off. However, I will say that after getting through about half of each of those teas so far my overall impression is growing more positive. I could see how someone would even prefer this type of sencha.
While there is certainly a difference in the way we taste a given tea and we all develop preferences based on various influences, I have found the Yabe Supreme to be a superb sencha. As a fan of both Ippodo and Yuuki-Cha, I will go as far as saying this is one of the best senchas I have tried to date. Deep and rich with full mouth feel and long lingering finish. The difference could be in the way we brew our teas and the water we use. I only put 5 grams into a 140ml Banko kyusu. 60c/60sec. 2nd, 62c/pour off quickly. 3rd, 65c/15sec. 4th, 65/1'. 5th, 70c/2'. I will order more of this tea.

I haven't tried the Kirishima No Kaori so I don't have any comment.

I have tried the Gyokuro kin un only once and was not too impressed although I would like to have another go or two at it altering leaf ratio and water temp.

Sep 28th, '11, 10:25

by Nathaniel87 » Sep 28th, '11, 10:25

Tead Off wrote:
Nathaniel87 wrote:Yes, there is certainly something to say about simply growing accustomed to certain tastes. I think perhaps part of my initial disappointment came from the fact that I had been drinking a very different style of sencha almost exclusively for so long that the difference I noticed in Yuuki-cha felt like something was off. However, I will say that after getting through about half of each of those teas so far my overall impression is growing more positive. I could see how someone would even prefer this type of sencha.
While there is certainly a difference in the way we taste a given tea and we all develop preferences based on various influences, I have found the Yabe Supreme to be a superb sencha. As a fan of both Ippodo and Yuuki-Cha, I will go as far as saying this is one of the best senchas I have tried to date. Deep and rich with full mouth feel and long lingering finish. The difference could be in the way we brew our teas and the water we use. I only put 5 grams into a 140ml Banko kyusu. 60c/60sec. 2nd, 62c/pour off quickly. 3rd, 65c/15sec. 4th, 65/1'. 5th, 70c/2'. I will order more of this tea.

I haven't tried the Kirishima No Kaori so I don't have any comment.

I have tried the Gyokuro kin un only once and was not too impressed although I would like to have another go or two at it altering leaf ratio and water temp.
Sounds fairly similar to what I have been doing. The Yabe supreme has definitely been the tea that I have most enjoyed so far. I have had the best results brewing 150ml for 60 sec at 70c in a preheated pot with Korean Sam Da Soo water. This is how I most often brew ippodo sencha as well, but I am curious how different it might be at 60c as you mention. I am already looking forward to giving it a try tomorrow morning...after already going through 15-20 grams of Sencha today I am beginning to feel I need to learn some self control haha.

By the way, do you fill the banko up to the top? Or would the water in be a little less than 140?

Sep 28th, '11, 12:27

by Tead Off » Sep 28th, '11, 12:27

I'm guestimating at the size, but, I do fill it up. Cooler water seems to bring out the sweetness and fruitiness of the tea and less of the astringency. But, others seem to like that.

Dec 3rd, '11, 19:41

by sencha » Dec 3rd, '11, 19:41

Chip wrote:Posting reviews is a privilege earned by actively posting members in good standing over time. The rule applies to everyone.

This is also to prevent what we refer to as false testimonials by new members affiliated with a vendor. Or a vendor joining under a user name and posting negative reviews about competition.
Ah, oops. I did not know this was a rule. :oops: I've already posted a few reviews about Upton's tea on here and I'm a new member. Sorry for breaking so many rules Chip. :cry:

Dec 3rd, '11, 21:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 3rd, '11, 21:35

sencha wrote:
Chip wrote:Posting reviews is a privilege earned by actively posting members in good standing over time. The rule applies to everyone.

This is also to prevent what we refer to as false testimonials by new members affiliated with a vendor. Or a vendor joining under a user name and posting negative reviews about competition.
Ah, oops. I did not know this was a rule. :oops: I've already posted a few reviews about Upton's tea on here and I'm a new member. Sorry for breaking so many rules Chip. :cry:
This is a TeaVendor forum "rule." This does not apply so much to the general forum unless their is an obvious "plant." The rules for TeaVendor are at the top of the index for TeaVendor. The general forum rules are located under TeaChat Announcements and User Guide.

So, you are welcome to post reviews on the general forum even though you are new to the forum.

Dec 4th, '11, 03:31

by Tead Off » Dec 4th, '11, 03:31

I found a gift of Japanese oolong from Miyazaki pref., Kyushu Island, in my recent order from Yuuki-Cha. At first, I didn't know what to think as it doesn't look like any oolong I've ever seen. I took a shiboridashi and poured some leaves in it, hot water, and, was met with a very surprising flavor profile I have not yet encountered in Japanese teas. Definitely an oolong, with pronounced fruitiness. Reminiscent of Taiwan oolong but only as an association of what I've known. With adjustment of water temp and leaf content, this tea yields many brews and is another tea to add to the Japanese repertoire for those who like to enjoy something different and are Japancentric in their tea drinking. Another small farm offering from the area where the Kamairicha comes from. Organic, of course.

Apr 27th, '12, 18:11

by teaisme » Apr 27th, '12, 18:11

getting close to the end of my last bag of miyazaki oolong black from yuuki

After about 100g of exploring, I have resorted to brewing this in two infusions, first pretty long, 2-3 mins, second even longer , not using too much leaf (about 4-5g/9-10oz water).

Tea comes out nice and deep orange looking on first, then lighter shade on second. Its very aromatic. Very chocolate heavy to me, light fruity honey, with a touch of flower and spice. Light bodied, cleans my palate well.

Beautiful assortment of mostly whole leaves, ranging from some buds to nice sized leaves with interesting and distinct vein formations, ranging from about 1 inch to 4 inches, tinged green and red.

Much about its character reminds me of darjeelings.
Another tasty treat from yuuki, in hindsight...I would have not used over 50g trying to brew heavy packed short infusions. It really just didn't seem ideal to my tastes.

Also...
Kamairicha Okumidori was very very very nice. I think others though so too since it is now sold out. I preferred it over the Tokujo (though that was very good too).

And...
in case you haven't heard about my love for cheapo Haru Bancha...now you do! I really do love this teas gentle but very pronounced character. Drink it outside for added effect, so balanced and soothing to me. New batch came in recently. (caught the beginning of 2011 and end of the last batch 2011, when it started turning yellow, it was delicious and even more sweet then when fresh!).

Thanks yuuki! :mrgreen:

Apr 30th, '12, 23:19

by Tead Off » Apr 30th, '12, 23:19

The Kamairicha at Yuuki has been one of the best discoveries for me in the past year. I haven't tried all of them but the one that has really gotten me is the Sakimidori. I actually preferred the Tokujo over the Okumidori but since buying the Sakimidori, it is now my #1. Good stuff!

+ Post Reply