Chen Guang He Tang from Hou De

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 4th, '11, 06:46
Scrolling: scrolling

Chen Guang He Tang from Hou De

by Drax » Oct 4th, '11, 06:46

In case some folks here had missed it, Hou De recently posted two new Chen Guang He Tang offerings, with a chance to try a sample of each at less than 1/2 normal sample price.

The number of cheap samples started ~15, and is currently at 3... they will probably be gone by midday, so check it out if you want to try some generously cheap samples of what will probably be some great tea!

Oct 4th, '11, 10:08

Re: Chen Guang He Tang from Hou De

by Drax » Oct 4th, '11, 10:08

Aaaaaaaand they're gone! There's still samples available for both of the beengs, just not as cheaply as the offering that is now gone.

When you get those samples in, please post your tasting notes here!

Oct 8th, '11, 14:43

by puerhking » Oct 8th, '11, 14:43

2009 Chen-Guang-He Tang "Yi Wu Cha Wang" Tong-Ching-He

I think Guang's description is pretty much right on. Though I didn't notice much on the floral side. Some Yi Wu grain notes and even a trace of camphor and minerals. Pretty tasty for the first six infusions then it seemed to lose potency pretty quickly. Very approachable for such a young cake.

Pours yellow-orange at first...then solid orange. This and its approachability makes me think that it has been over processed a bit. Not to mention the distinct lack of chaqi throughout the session.

The session ended with a sweetness that I enjoyed, but overall left me just a bit underwhelmed for the price.

Oct 8th, '11, 16:57

by Drax » Oct 8th, '11, 16:57

PK, thanks for the thoughts! I look forward to trying that sample...

I sat down this afternoon to try the other one, the 2005 Ban Zhan... I'm four steeps into it so far, with the second one making me really say, "wow," though at this point, the complexity in the first couple of brews is starting to fade under a power-house of punch.

I'll finish the rest of this one off after dinner... looking forward to it.

Oct 29th, '11, 11:49

by TokyoB » Oct 29th, '11, 11:49

I have tried the 2009 Yiwu a couple of times now. I also noticed the slight organgeness of the soup. The slight fruity flavor at the beginning also makes me think that the leaves were oxidized a bit. The first time I had it I didn't notice any qi. The second time I used more leaf and a heavier hand brewing it and did indeed notice some qi. The tea also became much more bitter. Still a bit undecided about this one.

On the Banzhang, I agree that it started out strong but the taste faded a bit quickly. I did notice the qi though! I need to try it again. I wonder what percentage LBZ it is. If it is indeed half then the price is probably not bad, at least relative to a complete LBZ cake. However, while I do enjoy LBZ, I very much question the value, but that is up to each individual, like all of this!

Anyone else care to comment on these 2 teas?

+ Post Reply