Radiation and Tea in Japan

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 3rd, '11, 14:07

Re: Radiation and Tea in Japan

by sherubtse » Oct 3rd, '11, 14:07

Kevangogh wrote:That said, I don't doubt there are companies doing this. There is a lot of Shizuoka tea left over from 2011 that hasn't been dumped. It's not as easy as burning it either. I'm going to be extra vigilant in this regard.

I heard the third harvest has practically no cesium in it anymore. I think the real threat isn't that tea which will be harvested next year, but this mixing thing does have potential. Most likely, my shop will not sell Shizuoka tea in 2012 either, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Interesting to learn how you are planning to proceed next year, Kevin. Thanks for the insights.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Oct 3rd, '11, 16:53

Re: About the credibility...

by a.serrao » Oct 3rd, '11, 16:53

David R. wrote:I think everybody understands that you are not going to buy japanese tea any time soon, so really why bother posting about it ?
Because maybe there are other people interested in being updated about japanese green tea?
No one cares to post updates on this forum.

David R. wrote: Maybe I shouldn't comment, but your remark about the japanese country really saddens me...
I frankly don't care about who feels saddened by what I write but it's a matter of fact that these still legal practices (blending) are carried on in Japan.

On the contrary I would feel saddened and worried at most if someone wouldn't report the news of blending adducing the excuse "because it doesn't matter anyone".
News are worth reporting both if they are negative or positive.

@Chip: that blog is respectable when citing fonts so I'm still amazed by your grudge against it, but maybe I can understand it.

Moreover I said "the country Japan" because in Japan blending contaminated food with uncontaminated one is PERMITTED.
A respectable country doesn't allow that.

For example, the U.S.A. prohibits this practice.

"The blending of contaminated food with uncontaminated food is not permitted because this is a violation of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (FDA 1991)."

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/MedicalDev ... 094513.pdf

Moreover, if this blending practice is currently permitted on tea, it will surely be done also with other foods, such milk, rice, this time resulting in a potentially more dangerous behavior because of everyone uses rice and milk while not everyone drinks tea.

Oct 3rd, '11, 17:23

by teaisme » Oct 3rd, '11, 17:23

a.serrao wrote:
Moreover I said "the country Japan" because in Japan blending contaminated food with uncontaminated one is PERMITTED.

I respect the quality control of japanese food by the japanese gvmt a lot more then the shady practices of big american agri business....seriously rbgh, gmo+self terminating seeds, the long list of food outbreaks in recent 10 years...list can go on and on...pls don't say japanese agriculture/gvmt food regulation is inferior to conventional american practices....

Thanks for the update though...good to paint a broader picture (though this kind of mixing should be pretty common sense since money is obviously involved). Again as said before, easily remedied by buying stuff good for aging , matcha, kabusencha, gyokoro made in 2010 etc as well as sticking to organic sencha grown on opposite side of japan. btw, the way you worded this thread can be seen as slightly offensive to japanese people as a whole...

Oct 3rd, '11, 17:34

by a.serrao » Oct 3rd, '11, 17:34

teaisme wrote:
a.serrao wrote:

I respect the quality control of japanese food by the japanese gvmt a lot more then the shady practices of big american agri business....seriously rbgh, gmo+self terminating seeds, the long list of food outbreaks in recent 10 years...list can go on and on...pls don't say japanese agriculture/gvmt food regulation is inferior to conventional american practices....

Thanks for the update though...good to paint a broader picture (though this kind of mixing should be pretty common sense since money is obviously involved). Again as said before, easily remedied by buying stuff good for aging , matcha, kabusencha, gyokoro made in 2010 etc as well as sticking to organic sencha grown on opposite side of japan. btw, the way you worded this thread can be seen as slightly offensive to japanese people as a whole...
As far as radiation is concerned however, Japan's current regulations are inferior to U.S.A. for example. This is a matter of fact.
Then, I don't doubt for the many shady practices that are done in the whole world, not only in U.S.A., nor in Japan, nor in Italy.
But I'm trying to stay focused on radiation topic, not caring all other aspects.
I'd like to consider Japan government separate from japanese people.
Japan government (or what I called "Japan" as a whole) is acting badly without taking into consideration the health of japanese people to whom goes my deepest respect for all they are undergoing with the 11th March earthquake and tsunami.

Oct 3rd, '11, 17:44

by teaisme » Oct 3rd, '11, 17:44

good stuff thanks for clarifying :mrgreen:

Oct 3rd, '11, 20:09

by a.serrao » Oct 3rd, '11, 20:09

teaisme wrote:good stuff thanks for clarifying :mrgreen:
No one can step here and teach me of how good Japan is at this moment.
At this moment, even Italy is better.
Why I'm saying this?

Have a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq4JG9UL ... r_embedded#!

and

http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2011/10/toch ... l#comments

Do you think Japan (read my specification in my last post) is still a good country to live in?
Better reconsider...

Oct 3rd, '11, 22:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 3rd, '11, 22:15

a.serrao wrote:
teaisme wrote:good stuff thanks for clarifying :mrgreen:
No one can step here and teach me of how good Japan is at this moment.
At this moment, even Italy is better.
Why I'm saying this?

Have a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq4JG9UL ... r_embedded#!

and

http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2011/10/toch ... l#comments

Do you think Japan (read my specification in my last post) is still a good country to live in?
Better reconsider...
Really? Worse than Italy which is worse than Columbia? :lol:

From the old rad topic:
Jayaratna wrote:
a.serrao wrote:
solitude wrote:I really dont know if I will have Jappanese greens this year. It is a pity, because sencha was an important part of my morning "ritual", it gives a nice morning kick, especially the fuka ones.
I am not worried to much about the health risk, but more about the customs. If I imagine the situation when an order is made, payed, then waiting (impatiently, as we all know) and finally the customs will decide that it can not be shipped into the country...it is just to scary :)
So, the strategy now is to wait 1-2 months, then if I finally decide to do an order I will contact before the customs and ask about the situation.
I feel your frustration.
I'm from Rome, Italy, and my country sucks big time!
We are governed by a clown and by a bunch of corrupted people that even in Colombia is hard to find the likes of.
The Italian Post sucks, the government steal money from the poor citiziens, we have no public services, we are being ridiculed by Gheddafi himself.
I'm really ashamed of being italian.
So I will put the custom under press every day until they will come up with no other things but certainties.

+1 (We could start a topic on triangulations from Europe, just to quench our tea-thirst until we solve all the problems of this ridiculous Country of ours - Title: how Italian tea drinkers can smuggle their premium teas into the Country, while feeling happy for the beauty of their own landscapes).

Oct 4th, '11, 04:00

by a.serrao » Oct 4th, '11, 04:00

Chip wrote: Really? Worse than Italy which is worse than Colombia? :lol:
In Italy we don't feed our children with radioactive food to show it's safe, nor we make them ridiculous for not having their radioactive milk in front of their schoolmates.
And this suffices to me.
Evidently it's not sufficient to you :shock:

Oct 4th, '11, 10:09

by Chip » Oct 4th, '11, 10:09

a.serrao wrote:
Chip wrote: Really? Worse than Italy which is worse than Columbia? :lol:
In Italy we don't feed our children with radioactive food to show it's safe, nor we make them ridiculous for not having their radioactive milk in front of their schoolmates.
And this suffices to me.
Evidently it's not sufficient to you :shock:
No, I am not going to condemn an entire country for isolated actions mostly by individuals making wrong decisions in trying times ... we are talking about a country whose people have suffered devastation and catastrophe on an epic scale. We are talking about our friends who need help.

I find it disturbing actually that you seemingly condemn an entire country in a time when it needs help and support ... kicking them when they are down. And you base this on isolated instances (that albeit bear watching) found mostly in your fave watchdog blog.

It would be more productive to post continuing radiation levels in tea in the various prefectures, information that we could actually use ... and interestingly positive information with which you have an aversion.

Oct 4th, '11, 10:10

by Chip » Oct 4th, '11, 10:10

I have to wonder how say the USA or Italy or any country would deal with such a series of crisis. Would every individual make the correct judgement, decision, take the right and proper action in every single instance.

I know in a large country of many millions of people, mistakes are sometimes made, and individuals and individuals within governments make mistakes ... and yes governments make mistakes. I know this to be true in the USA and based on your comments on Italy (saying it is on the level of Colombia, saying you are ashamed to be Italian ... see my last post for quote), I can only imagine ...
a.serrao wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Legality means very little in India where cheating is a way of life.
I thought you were referring to Italy...
:mrgreen:
No, I am not ready to throw my friends in Japan, and Japan in general, under the proverbial bus. For every wrong deed, there are likely countless good deeds and honorable actions. I will choose to act positively along with keeping a watchful eye.

I am enjoying my sencha and gyokuro from Japan ... and I feel good supporting Japan in general. Through TeaChat, we have raised approaching 1,000 USD (a drop in the bucket) for relief to Japan. While I will keep a watchful eye and continue to work closely with my vendors of Japanese teas, I will focus on the positives.

I only wish you could find a degree of balance ... do you have anything positive to say? If not, I truly feel sorry for you ... we will pick up the slack for you. Interestingly, you cause polarity, the more negative you get, the more positive we become. I suppose I should thank you for this?

Oct 4th, '11, 15:23

by a.serrao » Oct 4th, '11, 15:23

Chip wrote: I find it disturbing actually that you seemingly condemn an entire country in a time when it needs help and support ...
Chip, why are you systematically reporting what I said incorrectly on purpose?

Two or three posts ago I specified that "I'd like to consider Japan government separate from japanese people.
Japan government (or what I called "Japan" as a whole) is acting badly without taking into consideration the health of japanese people to whom goes my deepest respect for all they are undergoing with the 11th March earthquake and tsunami.
"

Maybe you missed this passage of mine. Maybe not.

Chip wrote:It would be more productive to post continuing radiation levels in tea in the various prefectures, information that we could actually use ... and interestingly positive information with which you have an aversion.
Again, maybe you missed I was doing actually that in the thread you closed prematurely.
In that thread I've posted a link that reports, day by day, ALL radiation tests made on food in Japan.
Again, you are systematically "putting words in my mouth" that are wrong.
Because, if I had a real aversion with positive infos I would not have posted that link in the locked thread, since the majority of food is radiation free, hopefully.
Actually I was accused of it, mainly by Kevin and others.

Oct 4th, '11, 17:30

by fdrx » Oct 4th, '11, 17:30

i live in Colombia, not in Columbia...

Oct 4th, '11, 18:22

by Chip » Oct 4th, '11, 18:22

fdrx wrote:i live in Colombia, not in Columbia...
My mistake and apologies ... I have fixed the error in spelling. Columbia is a frequently used word in the USA. But of course, the country is Colombia.

Oct 5th, '11, 01:12

by fdrx » Oct 5th, '11, 01:12

Gracias amigo! :wink:

Oct 5th, '11, 01:45

by Chip » Oct 5th, '11, 01:45

... de nada! :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply