Yellow Tea is...

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Nov 21st, '07, 21:38

Yellow Tea is...

by tomasini » Nov 21st, '07, 21:38

taken from "tea: Aromas and Flavors Around the World"

The processing of yellow tea begins in the same way as Chinese green tea, expect that the fixing of the leaves takes place under a covering o straw. This is followed by an extended “resting” period under cover during which some slight fermentation occurs. The tea is then delicately rolled into needles and dried. This process gives the leaf a green-yellow color and produces a golden yellow liquor characterized by aromas with a dominant fruity, flowery note.
This tea is produced in only one place, on Juan Shan island in Dongting Lake, Hunan province, China. The most prized of all is Jun San Yin Zen, which consists only of buds. It’s rarity and fineness mean that this quality of yellow tea sells for around $69 per 3 ½ ounces.

And According to Dragon Tea House

"...makes this a yellow tea is an extra step in processing during which the tender white-haired buds are covered with mats which, while not causing oxidation (as in the case of oolong and other darker teas), produces their characteristic pale gold color. The crystal clear brew is pale yellow in color and the leaves stand up vertically like needles when brewed with water at around 85ºC."

Nov 25th, '07, 11:49

by Trey Winston » Nov 25th, '07, 11:49

There seems to be a few different ways to make yellow tea. I read one account where the tea was placed between sheets of a special paper, probably to similar effect as the mats mentioned.

So, does anyone know if Adagio is going to stock yellow tea anytime soon?
Trey

Nov 26th, '07, 23:36

by jashnew » Nov 26th, '07, 23:36

Thanks for the info. Now I know why it's so expensive.
There are two things I love, tea and rooibos http://www.teacontent.com/

Nov 27th, '07, 16:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by CynTEAa » Nov 27th, '07, 16:34

Trey Winston wrote:So, does anyone know if Adagio is going to stock yellow tea anytime soon?
No plans to do so at this time. Tomasini had a better experience than I did the first time I cupped yellow tea. Perhaps his brewing method is key!

-CynTEAa

Dec 6th, '07, 11:26

by divintea » Dec 6th, '07, 11:26

I had no idea yellow tea existed until right now. Whoaooaa.

+ Post Reply