Thursday TeaDay 10/6/11 Wo wo wo ... water ...

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Water, gotta have it for tea, right? But we approach water quite differently. What water do you prefer to use for tea? Please share.

Whatever comes out of the tap is fine
35%
I prefer particular brands of spring water
23%
I prefer particular brands of purified water
No votes
I prefer to filter my water, and I use ______
39%
I prefer to use "charcoal" in my water
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 31

Oct 6th, '11, 19:36
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Thursday TeaDay 10/6/11 Wo wo wo ... water ...

by Jspigs » Oct 6th, '11, 19:36

I have pretty good tap water and I haven't noticed any difference in taste between tea made with filtered and straight tap water so I just use tap water.

Oct 6th, '11, 20:55

by debunix » Oct 6th, '11, 20:55

I generally brew in what comes out of the tap. I have brewed a few times with the spring water in our office water cooler and not noticed any difference.

Today, so far only one nice wintry2006 Haiwan purple bud puerh tea--nice and smoky for a day that is quite chilly indoors here--the heaters haven't kept up with the outdoor temp, it seems.

Oct 6th, '11, 20:57

by Herb_Master » Oct 6th, '11, 20:57

Mainly Brita but sometimes Charcoal and very Occasionally bottled.

Oct 6th, '11, 21:54

by RogueBagel » Oct 6th, '11, 21:54

Filtered water from my fridge is the only way to go. Kitchen sink water changes the taste of the tea completely!

Oct 7th, '11, 00:58

by Chip » Oct 7th, '11, 00:58

I have used the graviTea filter from adagio since it came out ...

We have pretty great tasting well-water, nice minerals, kinda sweet. BUT HARD. While it made great tea it was a nightmare for kettles and most teaware due to crazy amounts of scale build up. However since using the graviTea, I have not had to descale once, and we are talking several years.

Tea still tastes great, though I have never done side by side testing.

Great TD began with Takumi from Zencha with the Mrs. Next up, a tasting of Yame Fukamushi from Xell. And finished up with a prelim tasting of Kabuse from O-Cha. These are all sencha from OTTI 11.

Oct 7th, '11, 01:00

by Chip » Oct 7th, '11, 01:00

Yesterday's TeaDay becomes today's TeaDay ... so please continue to discuss yesterday's watered down topic. And of course share what is in your cup throughout the day.

Have a great TeaDay, everyone. Bottoms up!

Oct 7th, '11, 11:40

by brlarson » Oct 7th, '11, 11:40

Herb_Master wrote:Mainly Brita but sometimes Charcoal and very Occasionally bottled.
Hi Herb.

Did you ever try softening your filtered water by put it through your Shigaraki? Maybe it was Ambrose who was doing that?

I am finishing my last 6.5 grams of 2010 Hojo Shi Feng this morning. It is delicious but unfortunately has lost its intense creamy finish nine months after having opened it. Probably more shuppin sencha (I always want to append an apostrophe to shuppin) after lunch.

P.S. Kaburagien just listed the 64th Kansai competition winners. Interestingly, this year's winning temomicha lists for 3000 yen per 100g while last year's listed for 4000 yen. Hmmm...

Oct 7th, '11, 19:31

by Herb_Master » Oct 7th, '11, 19:31

My taste sense was not up to Hojo's water tests. The Shigaraki did not improve my Dan Cong when compared to Imen's expensive Chao Zhou pots, nor to the cheap Zisha pots from Zen 8 tea.

I feel that softening the water is not what is required for Dan Cong, in fact Imen has been known to recommend Harder Water, so maybe I should try the Shigaraki on something other than Dan Cong.

I have tried a local bottled water from Buxton which seems to meet Imen's requirements and it performs better (for DC) than bottled French mineral waters, but my local tap water with the Chlorine and Fluorine removed by Brita (that comes from similar geographical region to Buxton) is as good as the bottled water and gives me great results.

The Shigaraki sits waiting to find a perfect tea partner. Maybe I will try it with Sheng :roll: