Mon/Tues TeaDay 10/10-11/11 TEAchings?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

TEAcher, have you considered teaching about tea on some level, any level. Please share.

Yes, definitely
36%
Yes, considering
8%
Maybe
36%
Not likely
16%
Definitely not
4%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 25

Oct 11th, '11, 09:46

Re: Mon/Tues TeaDay 10/10-11/11 TEAchings?

by JRS22 » Oct 11th, '11, 09:46

My thought today about teaching is that if I could find someone who wanted to learn about good teas I could share what little I know, and then I'd have someone to drink tea with. Then it would sometimes be a social activity, rather than always being solitary. I did just finish a session of Gyokuro Tsuru Jirushu O-Cha, prepared in my two-person shiboridashi set. I drank both cups from each steep, and it would have been fun to share. Still, the tea was delicious, and I used the quiet time to study my new hobby.

Does that sound too sad? I'm actually drinking tea alone while doing something else I would ordinarily do alone, like read.

Oct 11th, '11, 11:30

by DarkenedSun » Oct 11th, '11, 11:30

JRS22 wrote:My thought today about teaching is that if I could find someone who wanted to learn about good teas I could share what little I know, and then I'd have someone to drink tea with. Then it would sometimes be a social activity, rather than always being solitary. I did just finish a session of Gyokuro Tsuru Jirushu O-Cha, prepared in my two-person shiboridashi set. I drank both cups from each steep, and it would have been fun to share. Still, the tea was delicious, and I used the quiet time to study my new hobby.

Does that sound too sad? I'm actually drinking tea alone while doing something else I would ordinarily do alone, like read.
Not sad. I think there are a lot of us who do not have people to drink tea with on a consistent basis. I enjoy my tea alone. :)

Oct 11th, '11, 14:52

by teaisme » Oct 11th, '11, 14:52

yeah I bet many here actually seek to find time to be alone with tea, myself being one of them
Sometimes I also pour tea into two cups, then drink both. This is a little bit of a personal thing, reminisce kinda.....

houde's shui xian today at work, coming out extra brothy and thick today yum
:mrgreen:

Oct 13th, '11, 21:53

by SlientSipper » Oct 13th, '11, 21:53

One of the nice moments of when I worked at Teavana,
I got to educate a few people on tea and general tea culture.

I enjoyed it when the management wasn't looking and I actually got to be honest with people. Some of them really enjoyed the topic. That made me happy for a bit.

Oct 14th, '11, 00:12

by iannon » Oct 14th, '11, 00:12

dont think of my self as educated enough on tea to be a teacher per se..but i have had some tastings at my house for loose leaf newcomers that want to get a glimpse of what loose leaf is all about

Oct 14th, '11, 00:27

by AdamMY » Oct 14th, '11, 00:27

Its hard for a lot of us drinking tea basically in isolation. We may feel confident in our ability to brew tea to our own tastes, but its hard to know how we would fair on a larger scale. In fact Today (Friday) I am hosting my first little tea gathering, which I am a bit anxious about.
While I feel I could potentially help people slightly, I haven't ever really had my own knowledge reaffirmed by anyone other than myself. I mean I currently teach college students mathematics, I would not feel comfortable doing that except in all my studies in mathematics I have received good grades. But with tea when its all done independently, we never quite get checked by an accepted expert.