My experience at Teavana.

For general/other topics related to tea.

Oct 15th, '11, 00:59

Re: My experience at Teavana.

by Ostara » Oct 15th, '11, 00:59

i never really liked this place, just the vibes i got and it was more chaotic inside there then in the mall its self. Granted i might go in at some point for a 2go cup but thats it even that is expensive :( I remember i had felt not only rushed but was told or offered to get the sugar and tins, plus the 1lb of tea lucky for the lady i didnt go off on her as i was in a bad mood did keep my cool and was on point with what i wanted. I think i annoyed the sales lady too :)

Oct 15th, '11, 01:39

by needaTEAcher » Oct 15th, '11, 01:39

But it isn't like we can storm the place and riot. I am all about a Teavana sit in, but I think we would lose that fight in the long run!

I just think compassion goes a long way, especially for the person feeling it and those around him or her. :D

Oct 15th, '11, 10:17

by Ostara » Oct 15th, '11, 10:17

next best thing is be rude back to them but its not their fault their pressured into the stress of the place known as teavana lol. Maybe one day they will realize how poorly run their store are once enough people stop buying their tea and sales go down, also the BBB may help too for future complaints and to possibly see something good happen in a turn around. Also maybe if someone in management even if its just a general manager that actually knew something about tea and trained their employees a different way would make a difference?

Oct 15th, '11, 10:31
Vendor Member

by IPT » Oct 15th, '11, 10:31

It might help if we all were to send a comment to their corporate office, but personally I think it is best to just ignore them and let them suffer from sales. It is really the only way to hurt a company like that.

Oct 15th, '11, 10:39

by needaTEAcher » Oct 15th, '11, 10:39

All said and done, they sell this way because it works. People bow to pressure. I'm not horrible at sales myself, which is why I quit, and I can say from pretty extensive experience that people will almost always do exactly what you project that you expect of them.

That said, I think most of us on teachat would laugh at all this crap (you want me to pay what for what?!?!?!), but we are not the majority. Not even close. Most people think I'm crazy because I want a special teapot for one type of tea, or because I can drink the same oolong for 8 straight steeps (all the while hollering about how awesome it is that it changes flavor so much), or because I cringe when people hear that I like tea and tell me they LOVE Liptons.

Teavana probably won't go out of business, probably won't have to change, and they are DEFINATELY not about tea. They are about money. And money makes money. It is sad. So forget it, be nice to them (cause then it's easier to be nice to yourself), especially the sales people who just needed a job (though maybe they will someday join us here), and enjoy the beautiful, steamy cup in front of you while adoring your brand new celadon or yixing or testubin (that you didn't buy from them).

Cheers! :lol:

Oct 15th, '11, 15:50

by entropyembrace » Oct 15th, '11, 15:50

I really think the best thing to do if you don´t like Teavana is to not buy any of their products, in store or online. There´s plenty of better options out there, that cost less to boot...there´s absolutely no reason for anyone who knows better to put up with their pushy sales tactics and overpriced, low quality products.

But it probably won´t hurt them one bit, they prey on ignorance...and most Americans still know nothing about tea.

Oct 15th, '11, 15:56

by Ostara » Oct 15th, '11, 15:56

oh how very true not only can we find better quality at the same prices but at lesser prices too

Oct 15th, '11, 19:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 15th, '11, 19:43

entropyembrace wrote:But it probably won´t hurt them one bit, they prey on ignorance...and most Americans still know nothing about tea.
You are an anti americanite ... :lol:

But they do prey on newbies' ignorance. The four words they most like to hear are, "I'm new to tea." In fact tell them that just for the fun of it.

Amazingly, there are more hate teavana posts and topics than there are for ... Lipton. I think this speaks volumes (pun intended).

Oct 15th, '11, 20:31

by Ostara » Oct 15th, '11, 20:31

ya i noticed the amount of teavana hate posts then lipton but i hate lipton too, flavored water to say the least

Oct 15th, '11, 21:18

by needaTEAcher » Oct 15th, '11, 21:18

But I LOVE Lipton! It is my favorite tea! How come y'all don't like South American teas? :twisted:

Oct 15th, '11, 21:22

by Ostara » Oct 15th, '11, 21:22

HAHAHAHA

Oct 15th, '11, 21:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Oct 15th, '11, 21:45

IPT wrote:It might help if we all were to send a comment to their corporate office, but personally I think it is best to just ignore them and let them suffer from sales. It is really the only way to hurt a company like that.
Demosthenes a famous Greek philosopher/orator (not the general) was hired by a Tyrant of Sicily to improve his ethics and morals so that he would be loved by his citizens. Until then he had severely taxed his citizens so that he could enjoy lavish costly orgies and the like :roll:

After a period of reform he longed for a return to the dolce vita, and his chancellor siad he had to raise taxes, to spare daily admonishment he exiled Demosthenes, but hurried to the quayside the following morning as Demosthenes was departing.

He urged " I don't suppose that back in Athens you will have many kind words to say about me :oops: "

Demosthenes retorted "God forbid, that back at the Academy, we should have so little to talk about, that we need to mention your name at all" :lol:

Oct 15th, '11, 22:10

by entropyembrace » Oct 15th, '11, 22:10

Chip wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:But it probably won´t hurt them one bit, they prey on ignorance...and most Americans still know nothing about tea.
You are an anti americanite ... :lol:
Canadians don´t either :lol: but afaik Teavana doesn´t have any retail locations here.

Oct 16th, '11, 23:11

by needaTEAcher » Oct 16th, '11, 23:11

I've beent trying to avoid having to deal with this, but now it looks like my fate is sealed. Canada, here I come!

Oct 20th, '11, 13:27

by meegaman » Oct 20th, '11, 13:27

Wonderful post, Earthprince. I noted that it was back in 2008, and I see that it is still generating interesting debate. I must confess that I came across your post while looking around to see if I could purchase one of those Teavana Perfect TeaMakers at a discount. They are the plastic pots that you fill with loose tea and hot water, allow to steep for a time, and then set down on top of your cup to release the drink. It seemed like the perfect thing to have at work. Probably sounds pretty low brow to some of the true tea afficionados posting replies! :oops:

Aaany waay, I really enjoyed your post. Last weekend we were in Seattle for our annual shopping trip to the big city. I was in Pacific Place, a pretty upscale mall in the downtown area. I stopped by Teavana again, as I had the year before, hoping to find the miraculous "tea brewing mechanism" sporting a red 20% off sign or some other incentive. I was told that they don't do sales, as all of their products come from small local artisans and they set the prices. Can't comment on that, but perhaps you know better than I.

I was met first by the employee offering samples. What happened next was a carbon copy of what you described, as well as what happened the previous year: Sample - Cast Iron Pots - Back Counter (White Tea, Monkey Picked). Then finally to the "Shall I get you going on that Perfect TeaMaker and some .... Tea?" They touched on all the sales points you mentioned, even bringing up the percent of caffeine in the various teas, the advantages of their special storage tins, 10% off a pound. yadda yadda.

When I was first handed off to the employee behind the counter, I had the urge to comment, "Wow! You guys really have an aggressive sales style!" and see what kind of reaction I would get, but at that point I just really wanted to find out if the steeper was on sale, and get out of there; my precious shopping time was dwindling with every tock of the clock. So instead I listened politely to the sales pitch and extricated myself as soon as possible. Besides, since I had received the same high-pressure sales tactic the year before, I knew it wasn't the sales person's fault or in-your-face personality. And I enjoyed the education I had received, realizing it should all be taken with a grain of salt.

Thanks for taking the time to write and give us the inside scoop. Instead of simply confirming my suspicions about Teavana, my journey has enlightened me about different teas and encouraged me to become better educated in the matter. So, does anyone have one of those steepers they want to sell? :wink:

+ Post Reply