OTTI 11 2011 Sencha Official Topic

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 11 2011 Sencha Official Topic

Postby Chip » Oct 19th, '11, 21:37

Thanks Drax for the first review on this OTTI! I am hoping to see many more. :mrgreen:

Of course, I am hoping for speedy deliveries, even to our neighbors to the north!!! :wink:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby debunix » Oct 20th, '11, 03:18

Samples arrived....now going to forget this topic until I've got notes on a first round of brewing....
debunix

Postby sherubtse » Oct 20th, '11, 08:09

Chip wrote:Of course, I am hoping for speedy deliveries, even to our neighbors to the north!!! :wink:

Not nearly as much as I am, I assure you! :lol:

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Postby Bryan_drinks_te... » Oct 20th, '11, 10:08

Last night I tasted Number One. I used five grams of tea to four ounces of water in my Banko Kyusu.
The first infusion had an intense umami, with plenty of creamy vegetal notes following with a hint of bitter in the back of the palate. The second infusion was about the same, just with a more vibrant color.
The third cup lost some of its thickness, but had an excellent balance of sweetness, bitterness, vegetal notes, and a stemmy flavor.
The fourth and fifth cups were continuations of the third, but with a thinner body and slightly more astringency. The 6th cup, while intensely green due to a long brewing time, had just a hint of sweetness and little else. Overall, a very nice session. :D
Bryan_drinks_te...

Postby teaisme » Oct 21st, '11, 13:53

received my samples yesterday. Very looking forward to some kabusencha this weekend!
Thanks Chip, Xell, Kevin, and anyone else who may have been involved in putting this together for us :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
teaisme

Postby puerhking » Oct 21st, '11, 16:04

Got mine today. Thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Chip and all the contributors for their support of my ongoing tea studies. :D
puerhking

Postby DarkenedSun » Oct 21st, '11, 18:55

Got my samples today and decided to start with #4 because it was in a different package than all the others. lol.
I'm still not sure how describe when I taste something, I'm unsure about terminology... but I'm gonna try my best. :D
OK... the dry leaf smell was kinda grassy and sweet and had almost a lychee scent to it.
Infusions:
#1 tasted green and kinda leafy with a match-esque flavor that made my mouth water. Mmmm. There was another flavor that I really couldn't identify. It was very familiar but nothing came to mind when I was trying to figure it out... Maybe I'll figure it out the second time I taste this sample.
#2 was bright and lively. It had a kind of green twiggy taste. It had a kinda toasty feeling to it but not really the flavor. I'm not sure how to describe it. The mouthfeel was not thick but not really thin either and the liquid left a slight dryness in the back of my throat. This was my favorite of the infusions.
#3 liquid got a bit thin and tasted very leafy. It left my mouth and throat feeling dry even though I was salivating.
#4 was pretty weak despite longer steep. The flavor got a bit sour on this one.
#5+ Not much flavor really except a bit of sweetness and a faint green tea aroma.

That's it. If anyone has suggestions on how to better describe things, pm me. :)
DarkenedSun

Postby gargoylekitty » Oct 22nd, '11, 00:14

Hadn't checked this thread in a bit. Still no sign of it here, noticed Drax always seems to get it before me despite the same city, though this time seems a little later than normal. Maybe tomorrow.
gargoylekitty

Postby Chip » Oct 22nd, '11, 01:18

gargoylekitty wrote:Hadn't checked this thread in a bit. Still no sign of it here, noticed Drax always seems to get it before me despite the same city, though this time seems a little later than normal. Maybe tomorrow.

YES! I hope so too, you should have yours by now.

Thank you Bryan and DarkenedSun (you did very well indeed!) for your initial reviews.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Nenugal » Oct 22nd, '11, 05:28

It arrived today! Very exciting :)
Nenugal

Postby sherubtse » Oct 22nd, '11, 09:38

Nenugal wrote:It arrived today! Very exciting :)

You live in Norway and have received the teas. I live in Canada and haven't. :shock:

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Postby Chip » Oct 22nd, '11, 09:53

sherubtse wrote:
Nenugal wrote:It arrived today! Very exciting :)

You live in Norway and have received the teas. I live in Canada and haven't. :shock:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Distance from here to sherubtse, about 225 miles (362 km).

Distance from here to Nenugal, about 3,750 miles (6035 km).

Go figure ...
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby sherubtse » Oct 22nd, '11, 13:18

Chip wrote:Distance from here to sherubtse, about 225 miles (362 km).

I didn't realise that the "TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji" was so close to me, Chip. :lol:

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Postby debunix » Oct 22nd, '11, 13:21

Enjoying my third dip into the samples, two more to go before unblinding....
debunix

Postby rhondabee » Oct 22nd, '11, 17:02

I randomly picked #4 to taste first. I brewed about 1/2 pack to 5 ounces of water around 160 degrees. The first sip revealed a whole lot of umami. It mellowed out the more I drank it. I'm on my 3rd steep now. What strikes me most about the tea is a nice balance of bitterness and sweetness. It is sweetly bitter if that makes any sense. The sweetness stays in my throat. This was brewed in my new glazed kyusu. I do not have an unglazed pot, so I wonder how different it would taste if brewed in one. I just sipped some of the tea again and it tasted like the wet leaves smell - sweet & grassy/vegetal. Fourth steep is a bit weaker, but still very nice.
Attachments
Tea # 4.jpg
Tea # 4.jpg (45.11 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
rhondabee

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions