Oct 18th, '11, 03:33

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by needaTEAcher » Oct 18th, '11, 03:33

Here they are! Not much by the standards set forth is this wonderful forum, but they are my amazing babies nonetheless!

Clay: Zi Ni and Hong Ni
Size: 110 and 100 respectively
Pour: 11 and 9 seconds, roughly
Filter: 1 hole with a little metal insert
Paring: Gonna play with some different puerhs, but so far I have only tried a 10-year-old blend of 70% raw and 30% cooked puerh. It's not great great puerh, but pretty good, especially for daily fare. The Zi Ni rounded out the slight bitterness, and the Hong Ni really accentuated it. I'd love advice on what to pair!

Sorry for the blurry underside.
Attachments
babies bottom.jpg
babies bottom.jpg (12.47 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
babies open.jpg
babies open.jpg (14.88 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
babies profile.jpg
babies profile.jpg (9.95 KiB) Viewed 2461 times

Oct 18th, '11, 09:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Oct 18th, '11, 09:24

Not a bad start.

Zini - puerh. Fill two thirds of the way and shower the outside for extra heat.
Hong ni - heavy roast TGY, or balhyocha if you prefer.

Always use a teaboat, Korea is cold!

Oct 18th, '11, 10:45

by tingjunkie » Oct 18th, '11, 10:45

Looks good needa! I already pm'd you my advice on testing/pairing. Now for the fun part of getting down to work! Pay special attention to how the pot changes upfront flavors and aromas, mouthfeel, and finish. Also, smelling the inside of the lid will also help you find a good match. When a tea likes a certain pot, the lid aroma will often come through nice and focused and strong. Have fun!

Oct 19th, '11, 01:29

by needaTEAcher » Oct 19th, '11, 01:29

I was gifted a beautiful 1993 wild sheng (http://www.redblossomtea.com/details.ph ... h&item=109)
that I will try in both (plus a gaiwan) on Friday (got a time set up with some friends!). It smells sooooooo good, almost like cinnamon. I anticipate that it will be boosted in the hong ni, just as I found that the zi ni really boosted the less nice but still lovely blend I mentioned earlier.

I have this lovely gao shan (I think), but it seems a lot like TKY to me, but I was warned against pairing a zi ni with the gao shan. Same for hong ni? If so, what's the difference here between goa shan and TKY? They look the same and taste similar to me.

Oct 19th, '11, 01:46

by tingjunkie » Oct 19th, '11, 01:46

Gao shan is high mountain oolong grown in Taiwan in which three leaves and a stem are rolled into a ball shape. TGY is oolong from Anxi, China in which a single leaf is rolled into a ball shape. There is also Taiwanese TGY too though. They may seem similar at first, but when you try several of them, the differences will become apparent. Zini can often be a great choice for more roasted gao shan or TGY, but sometimes it might mute the higher notes of the greener versions. Ultimately, the pot chooses the tea. :wink:

Oct 19th, '11, 05:32

by needaTEAcher » Oct 19th, '11, 05:32

Thank you dear Olivander!

Time to play and experiment!!!!!!! I hope the pot chooses a nice tea, but not too pricey...

Oct 20th, '11, 01:05

by tingjunkie » Oct 20th, '11, 01:05

It's not often... and it's becoming more and more rare... but sometimes the hours of searching Chinatowns, antique stores and flea markets bears fruit. I found these guys in a NYC Chinatown store my friend Abracadaver turned me on to (thanks bud!). According to the shop owners (who truly seem like nice guys who aren't incredibly savy about Yixing clay), these pots were uncovered recently from their warehouse. If I'm to take their word for it, they date from the 80's. I wouldn't be shocked if they are 80's or early 90's, but I'm not an expert on dating Yixing yet. :D Here's pot # 1:

Clay: Hong Ni. Med-high fired.
Size: 190 ml
Age/Year: 80's-90's?
Walls: Thick
Pour: +/- 9 sec. Barely drips. Good lid fit.
Source: NYC Chinatown
Tea Pairing: Early stages of testing with young sheng puerh. So far so good!
Info: Clay is a really nice quality hong ni. Has the nice fine sand texture and mica sparklies throughout. Nicely crafted, well fired, and passes all the important Yixing tests with flying colors. Bigger than I usually go for, but for $20 it's beyond a no brainer. It's actually pretty nice to fill it up about 2/5 full of young sheng and go for longer than normal gongfu infusions. A more relaxed approach to young sheng.
Last edited by tingjunkie on Mar 16th, '13, 14:24, edited 2 times in total.

Oct 20th, '11, 01:15

by tingjunkie » Oct 20th, '11, 01:15

Chinatown score pot # 2:

Clay: Zi Ni. High fired.
Size: 90 ml
Pour: +/- 5 sec. No drips. Good lid fit (after some sanding from me!)
Tea Pairing: Early stages of testing with traditionally stored aged sheng puerh. So far so good!
Info: Good clay, great size, pretty design, passes all Yixing tests... what's not to like? Proof that steals can still occasionally be found! Keep the faith fellow potheads! :mrgreen:

Oct 20th, '11, 07:56

by bagua7 » Oct 20th, '11, 07:56

Last edited by bagua7 on Oct 23rd, '11, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 20th, '11, 19:04

by RichardC » Oct 20th, '11, 19:04

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to teapot collecting as well. I recently acquired this pot on a trip to WuXi, China. I don't read a lot of Chinese, and was hoping someone could tell me what the paperwork that came with the pot says and any information about the two makers of the teapot or the pot itself. It also came with two cups, but I didn't take pictures of those.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm slowly reading through this and forums, and hope to contribute more in the future.

Thanks,

Richard

Oct 21st, '11, 01:27
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 21st, '11, 01:27

tingjunkie wrote:Chinatown score pot # 2:

Clay: Zi Ni. High fired.
Size: 90 ml
Pour: +/- 5 sec. No drips. Good lid fit (after some sanding from me!)
Tea Pairing: Early stages of testing with traditionally stored aged sheng puerh. So far so good!
Info: Good clay, great size, pretty design, passes all Yixing tests... what's not to like? Proof that steals can still occasionally be found! Keep the faith fellow potheads! :mrgreen:
Both teapots are very nice! This is especially interesting! I had never seen this type of tree trunk teapot in such a small size!

Oct 22nd, '11, 09:57

by Tobias » Oct 22nd, '11, 09:57

Teapot.jpg
Teapot.jpg (15.08 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
Seal.jpg
Seal.jpg (13.35 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
Seal: Yuan Bao
Type of Zi Sha: Aged Pin Zi Ni
Production: Mid 90's
Volume: 100 ml
Pouring Time: +/- 6 seconds
Filter: 1 hole
Tea Pairing: Shēng
Source: Jing Tea Shop

Oct 22nd, '11, 13:13

by tingjunkie » Oct 22nd, '11, 13:13

Nice grab Tobias! I nearly pulled the trigger on that pot myself. :) Love the shape.

Oct 22nd, '11, 23:29

by grwcm » Oct 22nd, '11, 23:29

Hi folks! I just got my first Yixing teapot and after preparing it, I tried it out for the first time today. I'm pretty excited!
Duanni pot.JPG
Duanni pot.JPG (16.82 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
yixing.jpg
yixing.jpg (21.65 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Type of clay: Duan ni
Production: Modern (2010?)
Volume: 200 ml
Filter: 14 hole
Tea pairing: black teas
Source: Verdant Tea from Minnesota

I tried it out today with with some Assam and I was happy with the result.
David at Verdant Tea was wonderful to deal with. He held the pot for me until I could return to the States to buy it and was most patient when I had some problems with Paypal. Sorry I don't have my camera with me and can't take a pic of the chop on the bottom of the pot. I'll be getting another pot this Monday from Red Blossom and will send pics and comments when I can.

Nov 4th, '11, 09:43

by auhckw » Nov 4th, '11, 09:43

After waiting for nearly 1 year, finally the teapots from the shop that specialized in artist / custom made teapots arrived. 2 designs out 6 planned designs came this round. The design is based on their custom mold. It is made by one of the reputable studio that have good clay.

2 designs. Semi hand made. Each design has 3 diff clay. Each type has 30 units.

Pear shape (220ml +- ) = Zhuni, Di Cao Qing, Duanni (special sub category, cannot remember name - not commonly available)

De Zhong shape (180ml +- ) = Di Cao Qing, Duanni (special sub category), Zini (sub category - Qin Hui Ni - not commonly available).

Today is their first day putting it up. They only called a few and they sold 6 sets (6 types) and De Zhong shape (Qin Hui Ni) x 5. Very fast.

There are 2 price based on clay not design. Zhuni and Qin Hui Ni both same price. They said Qin Hui Ni is hard to find. Di Cao Qing and Duanni same price. Both price not cheap compared to the mass produced.

I bought 1 (De Zhong - Qin Hui Ni) and reserved 1 (pear shape - duanni). Will post the photo later...

Speaking of not cheap... when I was there, someone bought 2 artist teapots at USD 5.7k... :shock:

+ Post Reply