Sat/Sun TeaDay 10/22-23/11 Show time?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and TeaRoom discussion topic. I watched an interesting movie this evening. I wondered, have you seen a good movie lately? Please share. You can sub with a book, or both.

Yes, I saw a great movie or read a great book
47%
Yes , I saw a good movie or read a good book
27%
Maybe
No votes
No, not really
13%
Definitely not
No votes
I anticipate seing a great movie and/or reading a great book in the very near future
7%
Other
7%

Total votes: 15

Oct 22nd, '11, 02:47
Scrolling: scrolling

Sat/Sun TeaDay 10/22-23/11 Show time?

by Chip » Oct 22nd, '11, 02:47

Greetings TeaChatters, welcome to a new TeaDay. Please share what is in your cup throughout the day.

Yesterday we discussed mistakes we have made over the TeaYears. Please continue to discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and TeaRoom discussion topic. I watched an interesting movie this evening. I wondered, have you seen a good movie lately? Please share. You can sub with a book, or both.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with ... everyone. Bottoms up.

Oct 22nd, '11, 05:55

Re: Saturday TeaDay 10/22/11 Show time?

by David R. » Oct 22nd, '11, 05:55

I've seen the two latest Mike Leigh movies lately : Another Year and Be Happy. I love the way he is doing films : ordinary people, dealing with their everyday life, but I am literary hypnotized and don't see the time flying. They are not my all time favorites, but I loved them.

A tasting of puerh samples this weekend, possible candidates for buying cakes ! :wink:

Oct 22nd, '11, 09:43

by gargoylekitty » Oct 22nd, '11, 09:43

Do documentaries count? Watched Miss Representation the other night, it's about the way women are portrayed in the media largely focused on the US, and while a little depressing and enraging at points due to, well, reality, it was pretty well done and I'd recommend it.

Having some of Maiko's Chiyo Mukashi this morning, start to another long weekend at work.

Oct 22nd, '11, 10:40
Vendor Member

by IPT » Oct 22nd, '11, 10:40

I am a prolific reader and just finished reading Seamanship, and The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor. They are both on the sheets and rigging on full rigged ships from the 19th century and earlier. I have always been interested and wanted to know how it all worked.

Oct 22nd, '11, 11:06

by Poohblah » Oct 22nd, '11, 11:06

I'm not a huge moviegoer, but I did see Zhang Yimou's Hero recently. I wish I had the energy to read, but school can sometimes take a lot out of me. I tend to do a ton of summer reading. I think the last book I read this summer was Neuromancer. It's rather trippy.

Oct 22nd, '11, 12:13

by Jspigs » Oct 22nd, '11, 12:13

I watched a great movie called Forrest Gump recently. I had seen bits and pieces of it before but not the full movie until recently.

Oct 22nd, '11, 14:56

by entropyembrace » Oct 22nd, '11, 14:56

I´ve been watching Mamoru Oshii movies with my gf lately...Oshii usually takes very philosophical topics and includes long quiet scenes that let you contenplate what you´ve been watching and enjoy the set design....but there are also some really cool action scenes. Still they´re slow burning movies and won´t appeal to someone expecting an action movie.

We started with Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell II : Innocence...they make you feel like you´ve been suddenly dropped into the future...very cool cyberpunk and transhumanist themes but it can be hard to follow, he doesn´t spend time trying to explain the technology you´re seeing...thus the feeling that you´ve been dropped in the future.

Next we watched Avalon....it´s about a woman who plays a virtual reality war game for real cash (she´s a star player) but she´s also very lonely and seems to be driven only to find the secrets of the game. Makes you question what reality really is...

Then came Assault Girls...not nearly as serious as his other movies we watched...it´s very low budget and it looks a bit like a high quality amateur action move...again it´s about people playing a VR war game...a sequel to the one in Avalon actually...but this one takes place entirely within the game and makes a lot of in jokes only MMORPG players will probably understand. It´s a fun movie if you can follow it...and if your attention span can handle the long meditative sequences.

And the last one we watched was Sky Crawlers...this one reminded me a lot of 1984...it´s about a group of kids that fly old style propeller driven planes in an endless limited war among corporations. The civilians seem to like watching the battles almost like a sports game and don´t seem to understand how much the pilots are suffering. Like Ghost in the Shell this has a really beautiful mix of 3D and 2D animation.

So yes I´ve seen some good and great movies lately :)

Oct 22nd, '11, 15:13

by karmaplace » Oct 22nd, '11, 15:13

I am currently in the process of reading a great book, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. I am also re-watching the first season of Game of Thrones because I found Vietnamese subtitles on the internet and have gotten my boyfriend hooked on the series. For new entertainment, I'm very much enjoying the new season of Boardwalk Empire. :mrgreen:

Lots of a vanilla caramel chai today. The vast majority of my wares are all packed up for my sudden and unexpected move that my workplace is forcing me to do. I have less than one month left to go, but it seems that there's still a lot of hoops to jump through. :(

Oct 22nd, '11, 16:01

by David R. » Oct 22nd, '11, 16:01

entropyembrace wrote:I´ve been watching Mamoru Oshii movies with my gf lately...Oshii usually takes very philosophical topics and includes long quiet scenes that let you contenplate what you´ve been watching and enjoy the set design....but there are also some really cool action scenes. Still they´re slow burning movies and won´t appeal to someone expecting an action movie.

We started with Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell II : Innocence...they make you feel like you´ve been suddenly dropped into the future...very cool cyberpunk and transhumanist themes but it can be hard to follow, he doesn´t spend time trying to explain the technology you´re seeing...thus the feeling that you´ve been dropped in the future.

Next we watched Avalon....it´s about a woman who plays a virtual reality war game for real cash (she´s a star player) but she´s also very lonely and seems to be driven only to find the secrets of the game. Makes you question what reality really is...

Then came Assault Girls...not nearly as serious as his other movies we watched...it´s very low budget and it looks a bit like a high quality amateur action move...again it´s about people playing a VR war game...a sequel to the one in Avalon actually...but this one takes place entirely within the game and makes a lot of in jokes only MMORPG players will probably understand. It´s a fun movie if you can follow it...and if your attention span can handle the long meditative sequences.

And the last one we watched was Sky Crawlers...this one reminded me a lot of 1984...it´s about a group of kids that fly old style propeller driven planes in an endless limited war among corporations. The civilians seem to like watching the battles almost like a sports game and don´t seem to understand how much the pilots are suffering. Like Ghost in the Shell this has a really beautiful mix of 3D and 2D animation.

So yes I´ve seen some good and great movies lately :)
I love Mamoru Oshii's movies. Avalon and Ghost in the Shell are on my top shelf at home. If you are not afraid to explore his stranger side, I really advise you to watch Tenshi no Tamago (Angel's Egg).

Oct 22nd, '11, 18:27

by FlyedPiper » Oct 22nd, '11, 18:27

Just finished up seasons 1 and 2 of Eastbound and Down. Hilarious.

SuiMei gyokuro this morning. Starting on the sencha OTTI momentarily!!

Oct 22nd, '11, 19:43

by boywoodhe » Oct 22nd, '11, 19:43

I saw a good movie (docu) called "All in this tea". all tea fans should give it a try. :) Iam drinking adagio's pumpkin spice this evening. :)
yours in tea
woodie

Oct 23rd, '11, 02:21

by debunix » Oct 23rd, '11, 02:21

Just finished streaming The Wedding Banquet, while enjoying two interesting Kamaircha teas from Yuuki-cha. The delicate sensibilities of the movie went well with the delicacy of the teas. I'll post more about them in the green tea topic after another set of infusions.

Oct 24th, '11, 00:49

Re: Sat/Sun TeaDay 10/22-23/11 Show time?

by Chip » Oct 24th, '11, 00:49

I like just about any movie that is on ... I just like movies. But none really stick out at the moment. I am reading the same novel now for months. Seems I open the book in bed at night and fall asleep after 1-2 pages. I don't need sleeping pills. :mrgreen:

Great TeaWeekend. Today began with Silver organic sencha from O-Cha with the Mrs. followed by Guricha from Xell.

Sipping iced SLT at the moment.