Oct 26th, '11, 20:29
Scrolling: scrolling

NEW! TA SO 4 Bill Perrine's Split Fire Pottery

by Chip » Oct 26th, '11, 20:29

Welcome everyone to TeawareArtisan SpecialOffer #4! This SO will feature the works of our TA Bill Perrine of Split Fire Pottery.

Although this topic is posted at around 3 pm Eastern USA time today, this TA SO will not go live until 6 pm today EXACTLY!

You can always view his topic under TeawareArtisans which also contains lots of discussions with the artisan, photos of his works over time, and links to his Etsy, etc.

Bill has created special pieces for this TA SO using some new techniques which has rendered some very new looks and some variations on previous themes. There are 4 "types" of pieces for this TA SO, each is in its own post of this topic. So be sure to read through the first 5 or so posts submittd by me!!!

As you read through the first several posts, here is what you will find:

Next post will contain info on his "Scalloped Yunomi-s"

Next his "Mountain Ippukuwan-s"

Next his "Mountain Yunomi-s"

And next ... his prize offering to a participating member of TeaChat!. Be sure to check that out!

Followed by a post about ordering information, etc.

Then posts by members, including any questions or comments you may have. Bill will be checking in to answer any questions.

PLEASE do not contact Bill directly regarding this TA SO and ordering. You must contact me by email at teachat@adagio.com. Please see my post below on ordering for more info!

Oct 26th, '11, 20:31

Re: SY

by Chip » Oct 26th, '11, 20:31

Group 1, "Scalloped Yunomi-s"

View all 6 Yunomi here:
http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... 1QQtppZZ16
Bill Perrine wrote:I pressed various scallop shells into the soft clay surface and created a softly squared form that is comfortable to hold with your hands.

A gently flared lip makes for proper pouring while the minimal foot creates a "just floating" appearance, giving a visual lightness to the yunomi.

I used a carbon trap shino that I dried with a fan from one angle and this created uneven salt deposits on the surface so I would get the uneven firing response/variations in the glaze surface. I reduced the kiln enough to get the burnt orange spotting/trapping that I like but I did not want the dark gray-black carbon trapping that this shino is capable of in this palette. This was created by placing them farther back in the kiln, away from the oxygen in the primary air ports. I controlled the reduction by controlling the amount of wood put in each stoke.

They all received a fantastic luster (micro-crystalline development on the surface) from the slow cooling I employed. Varying amounts of natural fly ash along with the iron specking in the clay body makes for a beautiful look!

They all hold 11 to 13 oz measured at approximately 1/4" below the rim
4 views of each one starting with the side that faced the flame, the back, inside and then the bottom
Cost each: $20.00 USD

s= scallop, y= yunomi then the number with its angles/views a,b,c

SOLD 1) sy1 - sy1c. - 3"h x 3 3/4"w and holds 11oz

SOLD 2) sy2 - sy2c - 2 7/8"h x 4"w and holds 11oz

SOLD 3) sy3 - sy3c - 3 1/4"h x 4"w and holds 12oz

SOLD 4) sy4 - sy4c - 3 1/8"h x 4"w and holds 12oz

SOLD 5) sy5 - sy5c - 3 1/2"h x 4"w and holds 13oz

SOLD ... sorta 6) sy6 - sy6c - 3 1/2"h x 4"w and holds 13oz

Oct 26th, '11, 20:33

Re: MI

by Chip » Oct 26th, '11, 20:33

Group 2, "Mountain Ippuku-wan-s" with Trivet

Mountain Ippuku-wan are sold out!!!

View all the Ippukuwan-s here:
http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... Ippukuwan/
Bill Perrine wrote:I textured the soft clay surface to simulate a mountain range that encircles the wan. A gently undulating foot creates a subtle repetition of the undulating mountain tops. Careful observation will reveal the overlapping of the mountains, helping to create distances/depth in the mountains.

I enjoy the wabi-sabi in the scallop yunomis and also wanted to express it in these as well. Although not as pronounced, there is a slight, intentional, unevenness in the lip, body and trivet.

I used rough sawn wood to create a rustic surface on the trivets. I also left a slightly rough torn edge on the trivets to enhance the look of the rustic ness of the clay and overall uniqueness. A different direction from my usual smooth, more polished look, just for this TC SO.

I also have been experimenting with clay bodies to get a naked surface that is responsive to the firing and has textural character. The flashing and ash deposits are nicely varied.

I used a oni shino on the inside, partially on the mountains (having found what colors come from what applications) and on the top surface of the trivet outside of the recess. The base of the mountains, center depression, sides, bottom and feet of the trivets are naked. I have been experimenting with this shino for several firings now.

Overall, a unique combination of wan and a base.

They all hold real close to 10oz measured at approximately 1/4" below the rim.

3 views of each one starting with the side that faced the flame, the back, and the bottom.
All the trivets are 3/4" h and 4 1/2' x 4 1/2"
All measurements below are without the trivets.
Cost including the cool trivet: $32

mc for the mountain chawan (though more precisely Ippuku-wan in size!) - then the number with its views a + b

SOLD 1) mc1,mc1a,mc1b - 2 1/2"h x 4"w

SOLD 2) mc2,mc2a,mc2b 2 1/2"h x 4 1/4"w

SOLD 3) mc3,mc3a,mc3b 2 3/8"h x 4 3/8"w

SOLD 4) mc4,mc4a,mc4b 2 1/2"h x 4"w

SOLD 5) mc5,mc5a,mc5b 2 5/8"h x 4 1/4"w

Sorry, N/A 6) mc6 ... Fell off porch 12' up and now has a crack :(

Oct 26th, '11, 20:47

Re: MY

by Chip » Oct 26th, '11, 20:47

Group 3, "Mountain Yunomi-s" with Trivet

[EDIT 11/7/11 @ 10.22 am Eastern USA time] The Mountain Yunomi-s are all SOLD OUT. At this writing, there were still other items available from the Scalloped Yunomi-s and one Mountain Ippuku-wan.

View all the Mountain Yunomi-s here:
http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... 20Yunomis/
Bill Perrine wrote:The third group is the mountain yunomis. The same process used in creating, glazing, and firing the wans and trivets of Group 2 was utilized here.

I textured the soft clay surface to simulate a mountain range that encircles the yunomi. A gently undulating foot creates a subtle repetition of the undulating mountain tops. Careful observation will reveal the overlapping of the mountains, helping to create distances in the mountains.

I enjoy wabi-sabi and also wanted to express it in these as well.

They all hold real close to 10oz measured at approximately 1/4" below the rim.

3 views of each one starting with the side that faced the flame, the back, and the bottom All the trivets are 3/4" h and 3 3/4" x 3 3/4" except one and it's 4 1/2' x 4 1/2"
All measurements below are without the trivets.
Cost with trivet: $32 USD

my for the mountain yunomi - then the number with its views a + b

SOLD 1) my1,my1a,my1b 3 1/2"h x 3 1/2" w

SOLD 2) my2,my2a,my2b 3 1/4h x 3 1/2"w

SOLD 3) my3,my3a,my3b 3 3/8h x 3 1/2w

SOLD 4) my4,my4amy4b 3 3/8h x 3 1/2w

SOLD 5) my5,my5a,my5b 3 1/4h x 3 1/2w

SOLD 6) my6,my6a,my6b 3 1/2h x 3 7/8w

Oct 26th, '11, 20:53

Re: sth

by Chip » Oct 26th, '11, 20:53

Group 4, PRIZE "Scalloped Sake Pitcher/Bottle" with Trivet

There is one and only one prize that will be awarded after the close of this TA SO. Bill will randomly draw a lucky member's name who has purchased one of the TA SO #4 pieces.

View other photos here:
http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... cherPrize/
Bill Perrine wrote:This is a shino bottle that was laid on a scallop shell which was in turn placed on wads. It went to cone 13, approx. 2400*f. It has the carbon trap shino on it like the scallop shell yunomis.

The photo does not do it justice, but think "fossilized shell" when viewing the scallop imprint.

It comes with a rustic natural surface cork and a trivet. Every purchase gets your name put in for a drawing for this scallop bottle and trivet.

The bottle is 6 1/4" h x 3 1/2"w
The trivet is 3/4"h x 4 1/2" x 4 1/2"

Oct 26th, '11, 23:00

by Chip » Oct 26th, '11, 23:00

This post will contain ordering information for this TA SO.

Remember, you must make your selection/selections, and email them to teachat@adagio.com on or after 6 pm EASTERN USA time today, Thursday 10/27/11.

INCLUDE at least 2 additional alternates. I will endeavor to satisfy your first choice, but this is not always possible.

If you want more than one item, please be sure to clearly state so and include a few more alternates.

Also in your email, please include:
TeaChat user name, the name you use on TeaChat
Your actual name
Your actual mailling address as it would appear on a package
Your phone number if outside of the USA (customs forms)
Your paypal email address

I recommend you email your selections at 6 pm Eastern USA time in order to avoid disappointment. I will update availability in this topic!

I will endeavor to reply to your email asap, please be patient as this can get a bit crazy. I will reply tonight.

The scallop yunomis are $20.00
the mountain chawans and mountain yunomis with the matching trivets are all $32.00 plus shipping.

Shipping:
Bill Perrine wrote:I looked up postage rates for some different states. I choose some certain distances from me and the prices kind of fall about where the time zones are and it will make an easy way to differentiate who pays what. I found also that the rates are for 1-8oz, 9-16oz, 17-32oz... I have 3 scallop yunomis that are 16oz (with packaging) and 3 that will be a total of 17oz... which puts them in the next 17-32oz package weight rates. Mountain yunomis and mountain wans are 24oz and 30oz... so, I am going to put all of them in the 17-32oz rates to make it simple.

EST zone pays $6.00
CST zone pays $7.75,
MST zone pays $9.00
PST zone pays $9.75 shipping and handling.
Everyone else will get a quote for shipping from me.
Thanks,
Bill
I believe if you order more than one piece, and the multiple pieces are available, the flat rate shipping is around $11 for USA.

Oct 27th, '11, 15:54

Re: NEW! TA SO 4 Bill Perrine's Split Fire Pottery

by debunix » Oct 27th, '11, 15:54

The horror! the horror! The tea cabinet is filling, I cannot have them all! The scallops are so cool, but they're so big.....would I use them enough? Would my current chawan be jealous of a lovely mountain-wan? cannot....decide......(sounds of sparking and smoke coming out of my ears)

Oct 27th, '11, 15:59

by Chip » Oct 27th, '11, 15:59

debunix wrote:The horror! the horror! The tea cabinet is filling, I cannot have them all! The scallops are so cool, but they're so big.....would I use them enough? Would my current chawan be jealous of a lovely mountain-wan? cannot....decide......(sounds of sparking and smoke coming out of my ears)
... I am leaning towards ... oh wait, I should not say ... should I?

These are all quite different from any other acquisition ... I really like the "wood plank" trivets ... really like the scallops (my fave shell fish to eat), and really like the mountains.

Oct 27th, '11, 17:26

by teaisme » Oct 27th, '11, 17:26

Very nice !

I really like MY2 and MC5. Hopefully someone will beat me to these.
If no one bites I may have to. :wink:

amazing contrast to your etsy stuff. You are skilled!

Oct 27th, '11, 18:14

by Chip » Oct 27th, '11, 18:14

... and we are ... live!!! :mrgreen:

Oct 27th, '11, 18:41

by T-session » Oct 27th, '11, 18:41

teaisme wrote:Very nice !

I really like MY2 and MC5. Hopefully someone will beat me to these.
If no one bites I may have to. :wink:

amazing contrast to your etsy stuff. You are skilled!
Thank you Teaisme, I tried to make something different from my usual "look". I experimented with a new oni shino and clay body for it in my last three wood-firings finally getting a handle on it so I could use it properly. Didn't want to do something too crazy and have it fail in a sometimes unpredictable wood-firing.
Cheers,
Bill

Oct 27th, '11, 20:23

by kymidwife » Oct 27th, '11, 20:23

And as for the prize drawing... do we get a chance for each piece purchased... for those of us who are acquiring more than one? :D

Oct 27th, '11, 20:24

by Chip » Oct 27th, '11, 20:24

Still plenty of beauties still available!

As you read the topics, remember, each post contains a link to a different album. So, there are 4 subalbums.

I will review them here:

Scalloped Yunomi-s http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... %20Yunomi/

Mountain Ippuku-wan (small chawan) http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... Ippukuwan/

Mountain Yunomi-s http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... 20Yunomis/

Scalloped Sake Pitcher - PRIZE! http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... cherPrize/

Oct 27th, '11, 20:25

by Chip » Oct 27th, '11, 20:25

kymidwife wrote:And as for the prize drawing... do we get a chance for each piece purchased... for those of us who are acquiring more than one? :D
... in a word, yes. er ... I think so. I will confirm this with Bill and one of us will post here.

Oct 27th, '11, 20:52

by kymidwife » Oct 27th, '11, 20:52

Thanks... love the prize, its lovely.

I already own several of Bill's pieces incuding a kyusu, numerous yunomi, and some standard handled coffee cups. I also own a mountain wan/yunomi, in his lovely signature turquoise combo.

But these SO pieces... I am loving them! The scalloped are quite different than anything I have from Bill yet, and the mountain pieces are so vibrant, especially the ones in the more rust tones... reminds me of a desert sunset. Yes, I must have one. I'll be getting a yunomi because I love the larger vessels anyway... I like the wans too, but this mountain imagery needs a nice big canvas to show off. Thanks for the great variety of offerings, can't wait to see which ones I get.

Sarah

+ Post Reply