Affordable Puerh canisters/jars?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 2nd, '11, 15:39

Affordable Puerh canisters/jars?

by Cole » Nov 2nd, '11, 15:39

Hey folks!

Could anyone suggest a couple places to find affordable (~$5-$15), relatively small (75-200g capacity) porcelain or yixing jars that would be good for storing/aging puerh and taiwanese oolongs? I've found a one on eBay that I'm interested in, but they seem to be kind of tricky to find for less than $25. I'd like to have one or two for storage (and one for "mellowing" out recently broken up puerh), but so far I'm striking out.

"Do's" and "don'ts" also appreciated!

Nov 2nd, '11, 16:45

Re: Affordable Puerh canisters/jars?

by teaisme » Nov 2nd, '11, 16:45

maybe good porcelain sugar bowls/herb strorage with lid, stuff like that in kitchen stores , I would look for ones with no silicone or plastic liners , esp since airtight is not important for puerh

Thrift stores could be a good place to look too

Not too familiar with vendors who sell those types of canisters in that price range esp the yixing ones

Nov 2nd, '11, 17:28

by Cole » Nov 2nd, '11, 17:28

Thrift stores are my savior -- you'd be amazed at the kinds of teaware and miscellanea you can find secondhand! Unfortunately, I've yet to find anything suitable in my travels :(

I don't really want to raise my limit too much, because if I'm spending $30+ on a canister, I'd probably go with something from Petr Novak or whatever perfect porcelain jar Tea Masters has in stock.

The search continues!

Nov 2nd, '11, 17:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Nov 2nd, '11, 17:37

Try this vendor on eBay. I've linked directly to the jars, but they sell lots of other items.

The jars are cheap, but pay close attention to the size, as they vary widely. I picked up a couple small ones from this vendor a year or two ago (before finally getting some much larger ones from overseas directly).

Also, as far as I know, long term storage of oolongs is best done in an air-tight container, and so a clay jar would not be ideal, if not detrimental.

Nov 2nd, '11, 17:58

by Cole » Nov 2nd, '11, 17:58

GET OUT OF MY MIND, DRAX!! :lol:

This exact eBay seller was the one I was mentioning earlier, and I just (literally seconds ago) pulled the trigger on this tiny yixing jar and "traditional" 200ml pot that caught my eye. Have you dealt with this seller before? Some of the prices of their pots seem a little too good to be true, but I don't have any yixing at all, so I can't quite compare wares.

Good advice on the oolongs, btw -- I was worried my TGY and yancha wouldn't properly "age" without a little air circulation. Is airtight good for all oolongs? (wrong forum, I know...)

Nov 2nd, '11, 18:50

by Drax » Nov 2nd, '11, 18:50

:lol:

I think you will enjoy the jar. I don't believe the jars are the highest of quality clay (which probably get reserved for teapots, not jars), but it will serve its purpose well.

I bought a bunch of small cups and a couple jars from the vendor a year or so ago. Very good transaction, well packed, and I've enjoyed using them.

I can't speak to the pots, though... never ordered one from them.

Nov 2nd, '11, 19:43

by Cole » Nov 2nd, '11, 19:43

Glad to hear everything arrived OK and has been working out well for you, Drax! I added a set of yixing cups for $5 to my cart, so I'm hoping they work well with the set.

I've heard comments about "chemical-y" smells coming from their pots, so I'm a little worried about the teapot. I take it you didn't notice anything "off" in your canister if you've been using them ever since?

Nov 2nd, '11, 20:33

by Drax » Nov 2nd, '11, 20:33

Nope... although I did get a jar from a very rural place once... I washed it and aired it out (with a fan) for about a day. Then I placed fannings into the jar (bits from beengs that I've gathered over the years) to help move it along... and no problems.

If you happen to get anything that smells off, you can probably do the same...

Nov 2nd, '11, 22:11

by Cole » Nov 2nd, '11, 22:11

Sounds good! I usually try and "season" and sanitize all my new teaware with some older/bagged tea and lots of hot water, but I was worried about lead and the other crap that sometimes finds it's way into cheap stuff.

I'll report back when I can sniff some yixing! :lol:

+ Post Reply