Recommendation for Silver Needle

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Oct 28th, '11, 13:23

Recommendation for Silver Needle

by ummaya » Oct 28th, '11, 13:23

Hello,

I am finishing my pack of Jasmin Silver needle from Adagio and I would like to try some Silver Needle ( non Jasmin flowered) from an other source.
Among many options I have seen these : http://www.norbutea.com/BaiHaoYinZhen?category_id=13 and http://jingtea.com/tea/type/white/silver-needle

I am looking for your recommendation. Thanks.

Oct 28th, '11, 14:27

Re: Recommendation for Silver Needle

by laura99 » Oct 28th, '11, 14:27

I don't have experience with a large number of Silver needle teas, but I have ordered that one you have linked from Norbu multiple times and would recommend it.

Oct 28th, '11, 14:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 28th, '11, 14:51

I personally shy away from Yunnan SNs. Had a few not so good experiences with them the worst one just had the oddest aroma of hotdog on a bun when steeped. I just cannot shake that, Bad olfactory memory can be strong.

So whenever possible, I at least begin my search by looking for Fujian origin. Although some Indian and Ceylon can knock your sox off!

Oct 29th, '11, 13:46

by Poohblah » Oct 29th, '11, 13:46

Chip wrote:I personally shy away from Yunnan SNs. Had a few not so good experiences with them the worst one just had the oddest aroma of hotdog on a bun when steeped. I just cannot shake that, Bad olfactory memory can be strong.

So whenever possible, I at least begin my search by looking for Fujian origin. Although some Indian and Ceylon can knock your sox off!
Clearly they're a different tea than the Fujian-grown variety, but I absolutely love Yunnan Sourcing's Silver Needles. Did you try theirs as well?

Oct 29th, '11, 16:29

by Chip » Oct 29th, '11, 16:29

Poohblah wrote:Clearly they're a different tea than the Fujian-grown variety, but I absolutely love Yunnan Sourcing's Silver Needles. Did you try theirs as well?
No, I have not ... but I am always open to trying new teas! :mrgreen:

Oct 29th, '11, 22:32

by sherubtse » Oct 29th, '11, 22:32

Chip wrote:So whenever possible, I at least begin my search by looking for Fujian origin. Although some Indian and Ceylon can knock your sox off!
+1 re the Indian SN's (esp. Assams) and those from Ceylon. In some cases, they are cheaper, too. :)

Here's one example, from Ceylon:

http://www.t-buds.com/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=148

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Oct 31st, '11, 17:29

by teaisme » Oct 31st, '11, 17:29

Jingteashops was good the last time I tried a couple years ago
So was floating leaves tea.

Jings had a nice eggy which I do like very much.

Nov 2nd, '11, 01:01

by ummaya » Nov 2nd, '11, 01:01

teaisme wrote:Jingteashops was good
In my first post I posted a link to a shop named "Jing" in the UK but by Jinteashops , do you mean this one ?
http://www.jingteashop.com/pd-jing-tea- ... ea-bhy.cfm

Nov 2nd, '11, 02:23

by Poohblah » Nov 2nd, '11, 02:23

Jing Tea Shop is different from Jing Tea. The former is based in Hong Kong/Canton area and has a higher reputation on these forums than the latter, which is based in the UK.

Personally I do not think you could go wrong by ordering from Jing Tea Shop.

If are still looking for vendors, you can find good Silver Needles from many vendors, some of which have already been mentioned, like Norbu, TeaSpring, Yunnan Sourcing, Jing Tea Shop, Rishi, and others.

Nov 2nd, '11, 03:12

by ummaya » Nov 2nd, '11, 03:12

Poohblah wrote:Jing Tea Shop is different from Jing Tea. The former is based in Hong Kong/Canton area and has a higher reputation on these forums than the latter, which is based in the UK.

Personally I do not think you could go wrong by ordering from Jing Tea Shop.
I already enjoyed the Dacong and Ti Guan Ying of the Hong Kong based Jin Tea Shop, so I think I will try their Silver Needle and also order a sample from Norbu

Thanks.

Nov 2nd, '11, 17:03

by teaisme » Nov 2nd, '11, 17:03

yeap jingteashop not jing :mrgreen:

Nov 2nd, '11, 17:16

by Chip » Nov 2nd, '11, 17:16

Teavana's SN ... brewed in a tetsubin ... of course.

OK, JK but could not resist since, "it is the rarest tea in the world!" (and therefore priced accordingly by Teavana), and we all know that, "the tetsubin is the best teapot for brewing teas!" (and therefore also priced accordingly by Teavana).

:mrgreen:

Nov 3rd, '11, 16:09

by teaisme » Nov 3rd, '11, 16:09

I saw a couple of these recently, priced pretty high in a teashop.
The owners said they decided to buy them since people have been asking for them....(teavanas false info is spreading more then you think)
I looked inside the box and paint was already transferring onto the cardboard box it came in. I rubbed my finger on the pot...faint paint residue was left on my fingers.....

I would hate for someone to sell me this if I didn't know better....one of those future regret buys for sure.....especially considering you could go onto ebay and buy a real functional, beautiful, and authentic kyusu or hohin set made by a real craftsmen (not some china factory) for the same price.

Ridiculous. :roll:

Nov 4th, '11, 21:06

by Herb_Master » Nov 4th, '11, 21:06

Poohblah wrote:Jing Tea Shop is different from Jing Tea. The former is based in Hong Kong/Canton area and has a higher reputation on these forums than the latter, which is based in the UK.
But I think that is based, to a large extent, on the views of people who have bought from Jing Tea Shop but have never bought from Jing Tea.

I love the Tie Luo Han and Sparrows Tongue Yan Cha teas from Jing Tea.

I have ordered Yan Cha teas from Jing Tea Shop and enjoyed them also but do not consider them to be in any way superior to Jing Tea, fairly equal in my opinion, or, if anything, I prefer Jing Tea.

+ Post Reply