Yunnan Simao, high mountain oolong taiwanese style

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 31st, '11, 08:06

Yunnan Simao, high mountain oolong taiwanese style

by Oni » Oct 31st, '11, 08:06

Wu Liang Mountain "Gao Shan Oolong" Certified Organic tea * 150 grams, I have seen this at yunnan sourcing, this is an oolong made by a taiwanese tea master in high mountain taiwanese oolong way, mount Simao is a well known tea area of yunnan, and it is ideal for taiwanese oolong, specially when a great tea master makes it.
I was wondering wether anybody has tried this tea, I would like an opinion.

Oct 31st, '11, 15:26

Re: Yunnan Simao, high mountain oolong taiwanese style

by Poohblah » Oct 31st, '11, 15:26

I haven't, but I'd love to give it a try. Yunnan Sourcing always has good stuff.

Oct 31st, '11, 17:14

by teaisme » Oct 31st, '11, 17:14

sounds real interesting try it :mrgreen:

Nov 1st, '11, 02:34

by Oni » Nov 1st, '11, 02:34

I have found it irrezistable and I gave an order, I am expecting it within two weeks, I have a Da Yu Ling from Dragon teahouse, I will have a tea to compare it too, this 105k is very good strong green oolong, it has a long aftertaste, and that vegetable protein smooth eggy sweetness, I am expecting the same from Simao tea, judging from the pictures, it is handpicked, and the rest I can only tell after I had a couple of sessions.

Nov 6th, '11, 13:12

by wh&yel-apprentice » Nov 6th, '11, 13:12

Oni wrote:Wu Liang Mountain "Gao Shan Oolong" Certified Organic tea * 150 grams, I have seen this at yunnan sourcing, this is an oolong made by a taiwanese tea master in high mountain taiwanese oolong way, mount Simao is a well known tea area of yunnan, and it is ideal for taiwanese oolong, specially when a great tea master makes it.
I was wondering wether anybody has tried this tea, I would like an opinion.
yes but YS's description says only that a Taiwanese tea master made the tea...there are of course many "tea masters"...some great, some not so great :mrgreen: Some great high mtn teas made, some not so great.

Nov 6th, '11, 13:19

by wh&yel-apprentice » Nov 6th, '11, 13:19

Oni wrote:I have found it irrezistable and I gave an order, I am expecting it within two weeks, I have a Da Yu Ling from Dragon teahouse, I will have a tea to compare it too, this 105k is very good strong green oolong, it has a long aftertaste, and that vegetable protein smooth eggy sweetness, I am expecting the same from Simao tea, judging from the pictures, it is handpicked, and the rest I can only tell after I had a couple of sessions.
hmm, I only ever get buttery finish on high mtn Taiwanese oolong, sometimes more of a sea-salt buttery like finish, nothing vegetal or eggy?

Since there is only one farm @105k, it would be interesting to see if the farm owners' own 'certified/authenticated' version is really worth 3x the cost...although this one is from the Fall picking:

http://www.t-oolongtea.com/product.aspx ... 3ae3b08e0c
Dayuling 105K Snow Oolong Tea by Tea Master Mr. Lin is a registered trademark. Located at the Taiwan He huan Mountain at a height of nearly 2650 meters, it is Taiwan's highest altitude tea production area. The temperature here is low all the year and the tea tree is frequently covered with snow in the winter, which is the reason why 105K oolong is named snow oolong. The area only produces tea in spring and winter. The tea tastes incredibly smooth and pleasant, and comes with a wonderful fragranc

Dayuling 105K Snow Oolong Tea (Tea Master Mr. Lin) is from the most famous and reputable Dayuling tea master Chong-Ming Lin who is the owner of Song Lu Tea Garden, the only tea plantations in Dayuling 105K (the Central Cross Island Highway 105K). Only the oolong tea from 105K Song Lu Tea Garden is the genuine Dayuling 105K oolong.

Chinese characters of 105K Song Lu Tea Garden by Chong-Ming Lin are printed outside the tea canister of Dayuling 105K Snow Oolong (Tea Master Lin).

The anti-forgery label of Dayuling 105K Snow Oolong Tea (Tea Master Mr. Lin) outside the tea canister.

Nov 9th, '11, 01:52

by Oni » Nov 9th, '11, 01:52

I usually trust Houde in matter of taiwanese oolongs, it is a bit more expencieve than DTA, Teafromtaiwan, or any other source, but the quality is very high, they source a few great oolongs, I promised myself that I will try a few of those too.
And talking about simao oolong, I bought it from YS, I can only tell if I like it or not, and I also ordered imperial TGY, and the highest grade of red tea, and a dancong.

Nov 9th, '11, 02:06

by wh&yel-apprentice » Nov 9th, '11, 02:06

My point was that just about *any* tea is being made by a 'tea master' (is their some recognized authority that does this certification/qualification for being a 'tea master'?)...doesn't guarantee anything> could be just "nice", could be "excellent", or could be "great".

Have you ever seen a tea being sold as being made by 'assistant to tea master'?

Point was that so called tea master is making tea from his own "owner of Song Lu Tea Garden", the *only* such tea garden @105k. And it costs more than twice as much as what DTA is selling theirs for.

Is the tea from one tea master compared to another, that much better it's worth the 2x or more price, when the source is from just one tea garden?

Nov 10th, '11, 01:58

by Oni » Nov 10th, '11, 01:58

Price is really relative in the tea bussiness, one really cannot judge a tea by it`s price, but when you drink it there are a few signs that that sets teas apart from each other, and there is the matter of how you brew it (and the teaware matters ofcourse), but generally I make all my high mountain oolongs the same way.
Regarding teamaster, well there are a lot of teamasters out there, in the world of oolong it matters who made it, the contribution of the tea master can make a diffrence, it is said that great tea is the work of heaven, earth and man, in other words weather, terroir (soil, and altitude), and the expertiese of a tea master (teamaker, or anybody who is making dry tea from fresh tea).

Nov 23rd, '11, 06:39

by Oni » Nov 23rd, '11, 06:39

I tried Simao taiwanese style oolong, it is very good quality, veggie protein flavour and high tones fruit jam like aroma, and amazing clarity, and the leaf system is perfectly intact, it is better than most of the higher priced oolongs, it is a great bargain for 15 $ / 100 grams, worth every penny, in general I am very satisfied with YS offering, it is one of the greatest vendors ever, at least for puerh they are really the one stop shop, you can get a huge variety of puerh, and their new oolong offering is really the best price vs quality, I can only recomend.

Nov 28th, '11, 14:02

by teaisme » Nov 28th, '11, 14:02

great thanks I will look into this !

Nov 30th, '11, 17:20

by teaisme » Nov 30th, '11, 17:20

hum price hike that fast? No Scott!

Hope it stays at $20. I'm in the middle of putting together my first order from this promising vendor since I keep hearing good things from you, entro, and a few bloggers.

Dec 1st, '11, 02:30

by Oni » Dec 1st, '11, 02:30

I recomend their imperial grade Tie Guan Yin, that was the best I had in a long time, it is more expenceive that the yunnan gaoshan, but it is better ofcourse, the hui gan is more apparent, it is their most expencieve oolong, but it is also their best, and the Dancong is very good if you are new to this type it is a good introduction.

Dec 1st, '11, 02:36

by Oni » Dec 1st, '11, 02:36

P. S. It is good to remmeber that Yunnan Sourcing is a puerh vendor, so their best offerings are in puerh tea category, and they sell young puerh, I haven`t seen a puerh that is older than 10 years, so that it would be an aged puerh. I would also check out their puer offering, but I am always confuse, they sell so many types of it that I really cannot decide what to get, so be sure to ask for some samples.

+ Post Reply