Weak Irish Breakfast?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Nov 11th, '11, 17:13

Weak Irish Breakfast?

by Classica » Nov 11th, '11, 17:13

I brewed two cups of Irish Breakfast this morning; the tea wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Which leads me to my question: Does the temperature of the water affect flavor? (I.e. not boiling and boiling) Also, does measurement of the leaf make any significant difference? I have been using a standard kitchen teaspoon instead of a true measuring teaspoon. I feel like my leaves did not unfurl and expand much, but I did use microwaved water. (I am in a dorm; I purchased a kettle, but I have not recieved it yet.) I hate my microwave -- hot means hot, not lukewarm! Even the Earl Grey I made yesterday was a tad off. Suggestions or comments, anyone? For information, both teas are samples from Adagio.

Nov 11th, '11, 18:30

Re: Weak Irish Breakfast?

by NOESIS » Nov 11th, '11, 18:30

From my experience, using "nuked" water leads to flat tasting tea. The electric kettle should remedy your problem. Also remember to use a rounded tsp of tea for every 6oz of water (just off the boil).

Nov 11th, '11, 21:43

by iannon » Nov 11th, '11, 21:43

NOESIS wrote:From my experience, using "nuked" water leads to flat tasting tea. The electric kettle should remedy your problem. Also remember to use a rounded tsp of tea for every 6oz of water (just off the boil).
+1 completely agree
and yes leaf to water ratio and temp all play a part in how your tea ends up. Some teas like boiling or just off boiling. Japanese senchas much lower temps etc etc

Nov 12th, '11, 14:56

by nrstooge » Nov 12th, '11, 14:56

Since joining TeaChat, I've discovered how much water temperature and brewing time affects the taste. I have a UtiliTea kettle which allows me to adjust temperatures. I don't like using microwaves for anything (don't have one)

Keep trying or boiling some water in a pan on the stove. Perhaps that will help?

Nov 13th, '11, 18:26

by Classica » Nov 13th, '11, 18:26

Thanks, everyone!

Dec 1st, '11, 15:53

by AlexZorach » Dec 1st, '11, 15:53

I've noticed that with strong black tea blends, Irish Breakfast being a classic example, the temperature of the water is quite important.

I do not think that a microwave is an ideal way to heat water for tea, but it is certainly possible to heat water to boiling in one. Just be careful not to superheat it (this is mainly a problem if you use distilled water and have a very smooth-walled brewing vessel). You can find videos online of potentially dangerous explosions resulting from superheated water in microwaves. Distilled water is not a good choice for brewing tea anyway though.

+ Post Reply