Can someone describe what Assam tea taste like

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Nov 30th, '07, 18:26

Can someone describe what Assam tea taste like

by LongLiveOolong » Nov 30th, '07, 18:26

Sorry I'm a newbie that never heard of Assam teas, can anyone enlighten me? Thanks

Nov 30th, '07, 18:53

by Wesli » Nov 30th, '07, 18:53

You're in luck, I just brewed up a nice, hot cup of Adagio's Assam Harmony.

The aroma is smooth, yet sharp with nice deep tones.
The flavor characterizes a mellow black, with a creamy texture and a sweet buttery overlay.

I gave some to my acquaintance over here who has never had a loose black tea. They claim it to be the best they've ever had. They assert "no need for sugar or cream, this stuff is already sweet and creamy!"

Nov 30th, '07, 20:57
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Nov 30th, '07, 20:57

Fukamushi Dynasty wrote:You're in luck, I just brewed up a nice, hot cup of Adagio's Assam Harmony.

The aroma is smooth, yet sharp with nice deep tones.
The flavor characterizes a mellow black, with a creamy texture and a sweet buttery overlay.

I gave some to my acquaintance over here who has never had a loose black tea. They claim it to be the best they've ever had. They assert "no need for sugar or cream, this stuff is already sweet and creamy!"
When I finish my current pot of tea, I'm going to have to retry assam. Assam has always struck me as a nice black tea, but maybe I'm mixing it up with something else. To hear FFGS wax about it :wink: I'm now really curious. He doesn't get particularly maudlin about black teas.

Nov 30th, '07, 22:14

by Wesli » Nov 30th, '07, 22:14

Its not my favorite, not on par with my Darjeeling or even my Yunnan Gold, but it's buttery-cream texture/flavor is very special.

Very special indeed.

Nov 30th, '07, 22:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 30th, '07, 22:26

It could be Fuka's selection. Mine have always been thick and malty. It is a bracing cup of tea.

It is also one of my least fav black teas.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Nov 30th, '07, 22:49

by bambooforest » Nov 30th, '07, 22:49

There are different grades of Assam. I had one once that was actually lighter bodied than what most people think of in an assam.

Dec 1st, '07, 00:35
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Dec 1st, '07, 00:35

Ok, I made a pot of Assam Melody from Adagio. The moment I tasted it, I made a mental nod -- I do have a memory of Assam tea and as I guessed, it's pretty favorable.

To me, Assam is a nice staple black tea. No unpleasant surprises and no bitterness. I tend to underbrew my black teas a bit, so it's a YMMV type. Smooth. If you want a nice introduction to black teas, you can't go wrong with a good Assam.

Dec 21st, '07, 17:14

by joelbct » Dec 21st, '07, 17:14

Interesting. I have tried some high-end, golden-tippy Assam blends that I preferred to any Darjeeling.

Assam is typically a robust, malty, full-bodied, earthy, astringent, tannin-ey, and complex tea.

Assam tea is actually made from a variant of the usual Camilla Sinensis tea plant, Camellia sinensis var assamica, which grows wild in the Assam region, and is also used to produce many Ceylon teas. To my understanding, many of the tea plants grown in India today are a hybrid of the assamica and the chinese plants.

+ Post Reply