Tues/Wed TeaDay 11/15-16/11 My tea has cooled ...

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Preferred drinking temperatures. As our tea cools, do you enjoy it more, enjoy it less, enjoy the changes in flavor. See topic.

enjoy it more
23%
enjoy it less
31%
enjoy the changes in flavor
38%
just ice it if it cools
No votes
discard it instead of finishing it
4%
mic it to reheat
4%

Total votes: 26

Nov 15th, '11, 01:31
Scrolling: scrolling

Tues/Wed TeaDay 11/15-16/11 My tea has cooled ...

by Chip » Nov 15th, '11, 01:31

Welcome to TeaDay, everyone. Please join us and share what is in your cup today, all day! Also jump into the topic of the day!

Yesterday we discussed what we enjoy doing during our tea life. Please continue to discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. KYmidwife offered up today's topic, an interesting twist on the temperature aspect of tea. "I am curious about preferred drinking temperatures. We hear mostly about hot or iced... I am curious about everything in between. I am just wondering if, as tea cools, people enjoy it more, enjoy it less, enjoy the changes in flavor, or if they just ice it or discard it instead of finishing it." So there you have it. All about drinking temperature ... anything goes.

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone today, regardless of the temperature of our tea!

Nov 15th, '11, 02:24

Re: Tuesday TeaDay 11/15/11 My tea has cooled ...

by Stentor » Nov 15th, '11, 02:24

I enjoy it less, but never discard it. It's still perfectly fine tea, just cold.
I enjoy a warming cup but I don't like to burn my tongue, so Sencha is perfect for me in more ways than one ;)

Also, with some teas, by the time they are cooled down, all of the "sediment" will have settled all the way on the bottom of the cup, which makes the liquid on top taste different. I'm sure some may even prefer that in addition to the cooler temperature but I like the full taste and usually shake my cup a little to mix it all up again.

Nov 15th, '11, 07:06

by sherubtse » Nov 15th, '11, 07:06

Stentor wrote:Also, with some teas, by the time they are cooled down, all of the "sediment" will have settled all the way on the bottom of the cup, which makes the liquid on top taste different. I'm sure some may even prefer that in addition to the cooler temperature but I like the full taste and usually shake my cup a little to mix it all up again.
I guess I'm one who prefers a cooler tea. Even though I brew my senchas at lower-than-normal temps. (60-70 deg.), I still allow the brewed liquor to cool awhile before drinking. It seems to slightly, but noticeably, intensify the taste.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Nov 15th, '11, 10:16

by David R. » Nov 15th, '11, 10:16

I cannot eat nor drink hot. I have to wait quite a it before drinking my tea. It sometimes bothers me, because while I wait, my gaiwan tends to cool down. That's e main reason why I use a fair cup, for the tea to cool down faster. I even thought about using a yusamachi for this purpose.

Nov 15th, '11, 15:13

by mWin » Nov 15th, '11, 15:13

This is interesting as I think about this all the time when I drink tea.

I voted for Enjoy it More as I find that when I can really take a "drink" or "gulp" that I enjoy tea more. It's hard to enjoy the flavor when you can only sip it because it's too hot.

Once it starts to cool, but it's still hot enough to be a "hot tea" then I notice the flavors.

However, once my tea gets cold, although I still drink it, I don't really enjoy it that much because I find it loses its appeal to me.

So I prefer a cup of tea that is still hot, but cool enough to drink.

Nov 15th, '11, 17:11

by bronzebed » Nov 15th, '11, 17:11

I agree with mWin. I feel like I should chart this. I drink tea warm. When its too hot its not enjoyable and I can't pick out the notes as well. When its room temperature its just too cold. Warm is perfect.
ND: royal golden safari. yums.

Nov 15th, '11, 17:19

by MIKE_B » Nov 15th, '11, 17:19

I also agree with mWin.
A friend visiting my house once wondered why most of my cups, including the ones I drink coffee from, had no handles.
"How do you hold it when it is blazing hot?" he asked.
I told him, if the cup is too hot to hold comfortably, then the beverage is too hot to drink, in my opinion.

Nov 15th, '11, 18:05

by teaisme » Nov 15th, '11, 18:05

Funny I was just thinking about this today when I was brewing tea at work.....chip you are reading my mind :shock:

Depends for me. If I feel like drinking gentle I prefer it to cool to a certain sweet spot where its not warm but slightly hot. This varies per tea.

But sometimes I really enjoy drinking it very hot, but taking very loud small sip/slurps so it aerates and cools by the time it is in my mouth. Thick fruity teas I seem more prone to do this to. For lighter oxi greener teas I usually just let it cool to the right temp and gobble/slurp to get that feeling of 'instant absorption' which is not very easy to do with short loud slurp/sip.

Returning to some greener slightly higher oxi hmt today, brewed at work split into 4 infusions, brewed super heavy stuff. Fantastic. :mrgreen:

Nov 15th, '11, 21:41

by karmaplace » Nov 15th, '11, 21:41

Now that it's getting colder I like my tea hot. I don't mean tongue-scalding hot, I just mean cooled for a few seconds to a minute and than drunk for that nice combination of flavor and the warming sensation in my throat. I like the taste of iced cold tea, but between warm and cool I feel that a lot of my teas lose some flavor. :?

Starting out the day with some leftover da hong pao brewed overnight in the fridge.

Nov 16th, '11, 13:43

by JBaymore » Nov 16th, '11, 13:43

Life is about constant change. Tea is part of life.

Here's to change!

best,

............john

Nov 16th, '11, 16:40

by bryan_drinks_tea » Nov 16th, '11, 16:40

It really depends on the tea and if it is age-able or not. I drink sencha and other green tea after it's cooled. for yancha, I enjoy it throughout. Pu-erh is a complete mix up.

Nov 17th, '11, 02:14

by Chip » Nov 17th, '11, 02:14

Nice thing about sencha, it comes precooled. I can drink sencha at just about any temp. In fact, I ice the last 2 steeps almost every night.

Other teas, I am not so liberal however.

Great TDs with new tea openings ...

Nov 17th, '11, 12:02

by Chip » Nov 17th, '11, 12:02

Look for a new TD shortly ... after some sencha inspiration!!!

Nov 19th, '11, 02:32

Re: Tues/Wed TeaDay 11/15-16/11 My tea has cooled ...

by gargoylekitty » Nov 19th, '11, 02:32

I don't like scalding hot, who would? But I definitely prefer hot tea over cold. Once it's cold I tend to gulp it just to finish it faster so I can have more hot, though I never toss it.

Dec 2nd, '11, 03:15

by tropicanahana » Dec 2nd, '11, 03:15

I voted enjoy it more for the same reason as mWin also.
mWin wrote:I voted for Enjoy it More as I find that when I can really take a "drink" or "gulp" that I enjoy tea more. It's hard to enjoy the flavor when you can only sip it because it's too hot.