Radiation and Tea in Japan

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 20th, '11, 06:21

Re: Radiation and Tea in Japan

by a.serrao » Oct 20th, '11, 06:21

Tead Off wrote:When given the choice, why would anyone consider drinking or eating contaminated foods? Has something happened to our thought process?
Exactly.
Evidently there are other interests than drinking radiation free teas.

Oct 20th, '11, 08:12

by sherubtse » Oct 20th, '11, 08:12

Chip wrote: I will buy under the right circumstance and from the right vendor(s).
Which are ... ?

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Oct 20th, '11, 10:38

by Tead Off » Oct 20th, '11, 10:38

David R. wrote:
Tead Off wrote:When given the choice, why would anyone consider drinking or eating contaminated foods? Has something happened to our thought process?
I recently watched a documentary called Food Inc. about US food industry which might be worth a look. Another one which is a must-see is called The Future of Food.
Food Inc. is frightening!

Oct 20th, '11, 11:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 20th, '11, 11:26

a.serrao wrote:
sherubtse wrote:
Chip wrote: I will buy under the right circumstance and from the right vendor(s).
Which are ... ?

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Guess...
It's extremely simple...
:lol:
Not sure what that is supposed to mean?

sherubtse, I will share more likely when I know more. The one tea I sampled at WTE-East will likely be one. It was a fantastic sencha.

Oct 20th, '11, 14:44
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Oct 20th, '11, 14:44

I won't sell any Shizuoka tea until the levels are zero or very close to it. It's not so much that I feel it's dangerous now, I don't. Its that I have options: to buy one tested out at zero versus one that, while certainly safe, has "some" low level. It's a shame though - there were some real gems from Shizuoka. I do hope to be selling them in 2012, just have to see what happens. Case-by-case, we shall see when the time comes. Not all areas of Shizuoka were affected that much.

Even when teas have been tested out at "zero", rest assured there will always be a troll out there trying to make a case out of nothing.

Oct 20th, '11, 15:12

by brandon » Oct 20th, '11, 15:12

a.serrao wrote:
Kevangogh wrote: Even when teas have been tested out at "zero", rest assured there will always be a troll out there trying to make a case out of nothing.
The troll here is you Kevin, that don't accept that others think differently than you.
Actually....... :|

Oct 20th, '11, 15:33

by AdamMY » Oct 20th, '11, 15:33

a.serrao wrote:
Kevangogh wrote: Even when teas have been tested out at "zero", rest assured there will always be a troll out there trying to make a case out of nothing.
Kevin, you defined yourself with that statement. Personal attack and also offensive. Reported.

From the simple rules at the beginning of this thread:
"Offending posts will be deleted, period."

I am sorry I am missing the attack. Where does he name you and attack you? There are many vendors that have to defend themselves from people claiming they sell harmful products, or that benign products are harmful. Kevin could be talking about any of the people that believe any Japanese product is radioactive, and there are quite a few of them. Just like Chinese vendors have to defend themselves against the people who think a product can not leave china without being dusted with lead or mercury.

Oct 20th, '11, 20:34

by JBaymore » Oct 20th, '11, 20:34

So... how about them Red Sox?

best,

.............john

Oct 20th, '11, 20:50

by Chip » Oct 20th, '11, 20:50

JBaymore wrote:So... how about them Red Sox?

best,

.............john
Oh, I did not know they were still playing! :lol:

Nov 16th, '11, 11:40

by radiowonderland » Nov 16th, '11, 11:40

Chip wrote:
a.serrao wrote:
sherubtse wrote:
Which are ... ?

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Guess...
It's extremely simple...
:lol:
Not sure what that is supposed to mean?
Me neither! Is it against policy to say? ----Wait a second. Is that adagioteas logo a clue?

I'm new here. Want suggestions for a safe sencha.

Nov 16th, '11, 12:09

Re: Radiation & Tea--Den's Tea from Shizuoka

by radiowonderland » Nov 16th, '11, 12:09

Would anyone care to weigh in?

Should I throw out the lovely 1lb of Sencha I got from Den's Tea in October?

(It was their Sencha Zuiko,
"A top-tier Sencha grown at a high elevation. All Zuiko comes from a single tea garden where it is grown under the most meticulous and pampered conditions. Origin: Honyama, Shizuoka -- Harvest: First Flush 2011 -- Species: Yabukita"
.)

Here's what his/their site says about radiation:
Based on recent test data, we can say our 2011 teas are safe to drink. We had an independent company that is registered by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare conduct a test on our dried tea leaves. The test results show that the tea from our contracted farms is well below the limit required by Japanese regulations. Although tea over the regulated radiation level was found in Shizuoka City, we have not purchased any tea from the subject district.
http://www.denstea.com/2011_Tea_Safety.html

With all the talk about Shizuoka prefecture, I think I may well just discard this fine tea rather than strive for a definitive answer. :(

Very humbly and civilly yours,

radiowonderland

Nov 16th, '11, 18:37

by Chip » Nov 16th, '11, 18:37

Wow, a pound of the Zuiko ...

Well, each person must decide for themselves on this, obviously this is best done before purchasing. However, since you already bought it, you could ask for the test results.

I recently had my first tasting of a 2011 harvest Shizuoka tea ... it was really stellar. I may buy this tea ... and it will be enjoyed.

I too a hard stance earlier in this harvest year, mostly due to all the crazy things going on in Shizuoka and public statements made by the governor. I do not regret holding off purchasing Shizuoka teas.

I had stated here on TeaChat at the time that I would reassess my position after 6 months. I believe I am ready to lift my personal exclusion of Shizuoka teas. But I won't be buying and consuming a pound.

Nov 16th, '11, 19:11

by Chip » Nov 16th, '11, 19:11

radiowonderland wrote:I'm new here. Want suggestions for a safe sencha.
Well, again each person has to define what safe means to them. Does this mean virtual zero radiation. Or is below the safe level prescribed by the Japanese Government (which is lower than USA limits btw) ... or somewhere in between?

There are plenty of vendors of great tea that are selling sencha from the furthest regions from Fukushima including Kagoshima, Yame, Ureshino, Miyazaki. These are on the island of Kyushu. However, Uji ... Kyoto have not had any raised levels reported either.

My current fave five vendors since you asked ... not neccesarily in order ... and the list is ever-changing. Though some are there consistantly for 5 or more years.

O-Cha*
Zencha*
Maiko**
Ippodo**
A tie! Den's**, Hakoniwado* (this one is pretty new but I have been very pleased with everything so far)

*forum member
**forum visitor

Also, only Den's and Zencha on this list currently sell any Shizuoka teas, but even both of these also sell non-Shizuoka tea.

There is also the forum tasting program OTTI ... great way to try the same teas as other members and discuss them.

Nov 16th, '11, 22:52
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Nov 16th, '11, 22:52

The tea is most assuredly safe to drink, the levels are going to be very low, well below the maximum safely levels. That said, just about any green tea from Shizuoka made in 2011 is not going to be "zero". So considering you can buy green teas with "zero" radiation in them from areas south, it becomes a personal decision.

While it pains me not to carry Shizuoka tea at the moment, since I have the choice to buy and sell green tea from all areas of Japan, it's a no brainer for me which tea to carry. However, I believe Den's is a Shizuoka based company dealing primarily in Shizuoka tea. They're probably in a bit of a tough situation at the moment because customers have the option to buy tea with zero levels from other areas. I agree with them that their tea is safe, it's just that other teas are available that are probably safer.

The nuclear plant situation sure had a lot of unforeseen consequences! A lot of people from far away who should not have been affected were.

Nov 17th, '11, 00:36

by radiowonderland » Nov 17th, '11, 00:36

Chip wrote: I believe I am ready to lift my personal exclusion of Shizuoka teas. But I won't be buying and consuming a pound.
How 'bout a quarter of a pound? I have about 12 oz left, and it's been kept airtight and in the dark (and some of it in the freezer too.) Should I post over in the swap forum or would that be weird?

+ Post Reply