Am I doing it right?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 20th, '11, 23:11

Am I doing it right?

by Akuma37 » Nov 20th, '11, 23:11

Hello! I'm new here :)

I've tried some sheng douji pu-erh teas in the past, and I liked them. Before trying pu-erh, I drank a lot of TieGuanYin, Long-Jing, Jasmine, keemun, dian hong, and lapsangsoochung. I just got a couple pu-erh tea-cakes, but I didn't know much about them at all. Could you take a look and let me know if these cakes and brands are at all decent?

I tried the ripe one. It was rather earthy and had hints of seaweed :? . The color was nice and red. It was a little spicy in the aftertaste and had some astringency. After reading through some threads, I think that I was steeping for too long. I steeped for about 1-2 minutes each time. It started to taste a lot better after 3 steepings.

Nov 22nd, '11, 19:46
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Am I doing it right?

by fracol » Nov 22nd, '11, 19:46

I steeped for about 1-2 minutes each time. It started to taste a lot better after 3 steepings.
Yikes! You probably felt like you were just hit by a truck :lol:

Someone will come along and tell you much more about the cakes then I can, but until then try brewing the shu for 10-20 seconds the first steep and slowly increase 5-10 seconds with each successive steep. Should taste a lot better.

Nov 23rd, '11, 15:26

by hop_goblin » Nov 23rd, '11, 15:26

Hard to say from looking at pictures. Though I can say that the shengpu looks somewhat rough to me. Perhaps, it's just the pic. If you are new to Puerh, I would stick to big factory fare like MengHai Tea factory, XiaGuan, etc. Atleast you have a fighting chance of not throwing your money down the drain, literally.

Nov 23rd, '11, 23:13

by Akuma37 » Nov 23rd, '11, 23:13

fracol wrote: Yikes! You probably felt like you were just hit by a truck :lol:
Someone will come along and tell you much more about the cakes then I can, but until then try brewing the shu for 10-20 seconds the first steep and slowly increase 5-10 seconds with each successive steep. Should taste a lot better.
Ah, it's much better with shorter steeping times :)
I did a 10 second wash, and then tried it after 30 seconds. It's nice. A little mossy and reminds me of a forest on a rainy day. :)

Nov 23rd, '11, 23:18

by Akuma37 » Nov 23rd, '11, 23:18

hop_goblin wrote:Hard to say from looking at pictures. Though I can say that the shengpu looks somewhat rough to me. Perhaps, it's just the pic. If you are new to Puerh, I would stick to big factory fare like MengHai Tea factory, XiaGuan, etc. Atleast you have a fighting chance of not throwing your money down the drain, literally.
Thanks, hop_goblin! I'll try to get some pu-erh's with good reviews or from those factories. Do you happen to know anything about Douji teas? Are they any good compared to other factories' teas?

Nov 26th, '11, 23:05

by hop_goblin » Nov 26th, '11, 23:05

Akuma37 wrote:
hop_goblin wrote:Hard to say from looking at pictures. Though I can say that the shengpu looks somewhat rough to me. Perhaps, it's just the pic. If you are new to Puerh, I would stick to big factory fare like MengHai Tea factory, XiaGuan, etc. Atleast you have a fighting chance of not throwing your money down the drain, literally.
Thanks, hop_goblin! I'll try to get some pu-erh's with good reviews or from those factories. Do you happen to know anything about Douji teas? Are they any good compared to other factories' teas?
Yes, Douji teas are very popular and respectable. Definitely worth a try.

+ Post Reply