Thanksgiving and the day after 2011, Traditional food?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Will today's holiday food be traditional or nontraditional. For Thanksgiving or your holidays in general? Please share.

Yes holidays always include traditional food
38%
Usually yes
21%
Sometimes
13%
Not really
13%
Nope
13%
Never
No votes
Other
4%

Total votes: 24

Nov 24th, '11, 01:42
Scrolling: scrolling

Thanksgiving and the day after 2011, Traditional food?

by Chip » Nov 24th, '11, 01:42

Happy Thanksgiving
(to those celebrating)

Welcome to TeaDay. Please stop in and share what is in your cup throughout the day. And be sure to vote and discuss the topic of the day.

We have been discussing, "Which do you think you have the most of: teas, pots, cups, or tins?" Please continue to vote and discuss this topic.

Today's poll and discussion topic. Will today's holiday food be traditional or nontraditional. For Thanksgiving or your holidays in general? Please share.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Nov 24th, '11, 01:51

Re: Thanksgiving 2011, Traditional food?

by Chip » Nov 24th, '11, 01:51

I included for "holidays in general" for our non American friends!

Nov 24th, '11, 10:46

by AdamMY » Nov 24th, '11, 10:46

The turkey is being prepped for the oven as I write this. The Cranberry relish, pumpkin pie, and stuffing was made yesterday. So yes a very traditional Thanksgiving feast for our family.

Nov 24th, '11, 12:29

by Geekgirl » Nov 24th, '11, 12:29

Traditional food, non-traditional prep. This year I'm cooking for two non-insulin dependent diabetics, so we've had to get creative to keep the sugar and carb levels down. :lol: NOT an easy job with a traditional Turkey Dinner.

Nov 24th, '11, 18:35

by Herb_Master » Nov 24th, '11, 18:35

Other

I go for something really special, or out of the ordinary.

No Turkey for me this Christmas,

I have just ordered a mixed case of Pigeon, Partridge, Pheasant, Hare, Rabbit, Duck, Mutton and Venison from

The Blackface Meat Company

http://www.blackface.co.uk/index.asp

Nov 25th, '11, 01:33

by Abracadaver! » Nov 25th, '11, 01:33

We do a "traditional" style ThanksgivIng in our house, albeit one that has been completety "veganized." Loads of tasty food, but no animal bits. Aside from the strange vaguely potato-shaped form that is the Tofurky, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Nov 25th, '11, 17:26

by Firemoss » Nov 25th, '11, 17:26

Abracadaver! wrote:We do a "traditional" style ThanksgivIng in our house, albeit one that has been completety "veganized." Loads of tasty food, but no animal bits. Aside from the strange vaguely potato-shaped form that is the Tofurky, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
We do the same vegan Thanksgiving over here, Abracadaver! :D Tofurky, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sides, sides, and more sides and pumpkin pie and whipped/ice cream.

(Btw, do you know whatever happened to those totally yummy cranberry stuffed dumplings that used to come with the Tofurky Holiday Feast?! Ok, I shouldn't complain, the Amy's chocolate cake it comes with now is moist and scrumptious! But still... I miss those odd balls. :mrgreen: )

Nov 26th, '11, 10:32

Re: Thanksgiving and the day after 2011, Traditional food?

by nrstooge » Nov 26th, '11, 10:32

Went to my sister's house yesterday. It was only 3 of us.. so we had vegetable soup for dinner. We spent most of the day baking and decorating her house for Christmas (yes, already). She is spending today with her hubby's family and they are having a full traditional turkey dinner.

Nov 27th, '11, 14:40

by debunix » Nov 27th, '11, 14:40

Some traditional food this year, and the always welcome scent of turkey stock, the best part of thanksgiving and promise of future soups for the year. I've been drinking a lot of tea while mostly at home, photoshopping the thousands of images I took on a recent trip. I had only brought along a couple of green oolongs, very nice teas for cold or hot brewing, but I've been enjoying puerh, dan cong, sencha, green teas, and only a bit of green oolong since I returned.

I am thankful for many things, including online tea-friends and the conversation, ideas and information shared here. This morning, I enjoyed some Honyama sencha from Yuuki-cha, and am about to find out how my Honey Orchid Fragrance Dan Cong survived the night after a short initial session. Much more photoshopping to come.....why, oh why, did I take all those pictures??!

Dec 1st, '11, 22:28

by Chip » Dec 1st, '11, 22:28

A little late to this party ... :oops:

Generally, loosely traditional for Thanksgiving and most other holidays. The foods are more Traditional on Thanksgiving while we seem to purposely be nontraditional food wise on many other holidays which has been pretty fun actually.

The meals are generally a group effort ... or whole family effort which reduces the load on any one family member.

... great teas through the holidays!

Dec 2nd, '11, 03:03

by tropicanahana » Dec 2nd, '11, 03:03

Aww it's really nice reading about all your thanksgiving dinner traditions!

Like Abracadaver and Firemoss, I had a Tofurky at my table this year. I first tried this 3 years ago, and I remember being so dissapointed they couldn't engineer it to look like a turkey haha. I am usually the only one that eats it but surprise~ we had a vegetarian guest! I was so excited about that. I also made Muttar Paneer ( a peas and indian cheese dish), as every year my contribution is always spinach and something exotic, so I put mostly traditional :)