Brewing Eastern style with the ingenuitea?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Nov 26th, '11, 23:18

Brewing Eastern style with the ingenuitea?

by garrettmc » Nov 26th, '11, 23:18

Hey guys. i got a small teacup recently and i've really been wanting to try the Eastern style of brewing, only problem is i can't afford a decent gaiwan right now. Is it possible to brew eastern style in the ingenuitea? maybe if i used the same leaf amounts but a whole lot less water and lowered the steep time? thanks!

Nov 27th, '11, 00:39

Re: Brewing Eastern style with the ingenuitea?

by debunix » Nov 27th, '11, 00:39

I've not used an ingenuitea, but I have used a similar device from Kamjove to brew tea. I mostly use it for bulk brewing, but I can do some gongfu cha if I am more careful with it. The Kamjove that I have is designed such that there is a minimum amount of water that sits below the filter that contains the leaf, a 'dead space' that cannot be packed with leaf, so I cannot do very small volume sessions with it. The ingenuitea looks better for this, because the 'dead space' appears to be smaller.

So....go ahead and have fun!

Nov 27th, '11, 02:18

by Poohblah » Nov 27th, '11, 02:18

You would end up with a ton of tea unless you were very careful. Furthermore, I am of the opinion that the inginuitea, being a plastic vessel, alters the taste of the tea.

But that doesn't mean that you can't have tea.

Nov 27th, '11, 13:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Nov 27th, '11, 13:22

I've not tried an ingenuitea but if I've not got access to a decent set up then two mugs, or even glasses for green tea, and something to strain with does the trick.

Put tea leaves in one mug, pour on water, strain into other mug.
Repeat.

If there's a Chinatown nearby they often have dirt cheap gaiwan.

+ Post Reply