Dec 1st, '11, 07:53

Please help me identify this "chinese jasmine tea" :)

by febs » Dec 1st, '11, 07:53

Hello all tea connoisseur.

Here I am again asking for you suggestions about this tea I bought as a bulk attracted by the price and by the fact that the original label reported "te au jasmin" (which is French for just "Jasmine Tea", without specifying if the tea is green, black, and which; or what else).
The French importer added a label that reads, in English "Jasmine Flowers", without even mentioning ANY teas.
The Italian label (it is imported in Italy from the French importer that imported from China :P ) reads green jasmine tea.

Nevertheless, brewing instructions (on the very package, not on any label added subsequently) instructs to use fresh boiling water and to brew for five minutes, which is typical for black teas.

That lead me to think that the tea was a black one and probably is. It didn't tasted as strong as a regular black I'm used to, neither as soft as my greens, though I brewed it for just a bit more than four minutes.
Here (finally) are the pics for the ones of you that cares and are willing to share some minute and some knowledge ;)

https://picasaweb.google.com/101839706610481225611/Te

Thanks!

Dec 1st, '11, 11:23
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Please help me identify this "chinese jasmine tea" :)

by Chip » Dec 1st, '11, 11:23

Although AU JASMINE sells lots of batches of jasmine tea, everyone I have tried is ... crapola! These were the most foul tasting teas I have EVER had. :evil:

I hope yours are better. :mrgreen:

Dec 2nd, '11, 05:55

by febs » Dec 2nd, '11, 05:55

Oh my.

Yesterday I brew some more with the same procedure (fresh boiling water, five minutes) and it was crapola indeed, especially compared to the standards I got used to lately.

How did you brew yours? And, if I may ask, where did you got it?

I will try again brewing as a green, anyhow. Maybe it will be at least OK!

Dec 12th, '11, 16:20

by febs » Dec 12th, '11, 16:20

Update. After much trial and more error, I ended up realizing that with mild temperature water and a short time steep, most important, by using a modest quantity of leaves, this thing came out quite good, and AWESOME for the price.

Cheers.

Dec 12th, '11, 18:52

by BioHorn » Dec 12th, '11, 18:52

Chip wrote:Although AU JASMINE sells lots of batches of jasmine tea, everyone I have tried is ... crapola! These were the most foul tasting teas I have EVER had. :evil:

Come on Chip. But how do you really feel about it.
:lol:

Dec 12th, '11, 19:34

by tortoise » Dec 12th, '11, 19:34

Looks like it turned out ok for you...which is good.

Price is always a consideration, but I have to say, buying tea because it is cheap will not yield great results usually.

Dec 12th, '11, 22:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 12th, '11, 22:47

BioHorn wrote:
Chip wrote:Although AU JASMINE sells lots of batches of jasmine tea, everyone I have tried is ... crapola! These were the most foul tasting teas I have EVER had. :evil:

Come on Chip. But how do you really feel about it.
:lol:
I would have to ban myself for foul language! 8)
tortoise wrote:Looks like it turned out ok for you...which is good.

Price is always a consideration, but I have to say, buying tea because it is cheap will not yield great results usually.
So very true! Most of us have tried to find the jewel in the rough. This can end up costing more than simply buying good tea in the first place!!!

Dec 13th, '11, 10:26

by febs » Dec 13th, '11, 10:26

I agree that searching for the hidden jewel can cost more, but it could lead to great value discoveries, too. For instance, I found a sencha this way, which is cheap but awesome!

+ Post Reply