Kukicha with fresh ginger

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Dec 17th, '10, 10:52

Kukicha with fresh ginger

by febs » Dec 17th, '10, 10:52

Today I experimented a bit and I liked a lot this one:

boil some fresh ginger for some minute (quantities have to be tested for your taste as always).
Let the water cool down a bit. Then brew Kukicha with that water as you would brew your kukicha normally (same times)

Nice and very useful in this season.

Dec 17th, '10, 13:36

Re: Kukicha with fresh ginger

by iannon » Dec 17th, '10, 13:36

That sounds pretty good! I may try that. Normally I make ginger tea with just Ginger, hot water and Honey. Actually do a bit of cooking the ginger with honey in a small pot and reducing it somewhat then adding water

Dec 20th, '10, 21:21

by febs » Dec 20th, '10, 21:21

If you try it please share your impressions! :)

Thanks,

Dec 23rd, '10, 05:54

by febs » Dec 23rd, '10, 05:54

Update: I found that using gunpowder instead of kukicha gives definitely better results.
Not counting that this is a nice way to finish gunpowder, which I mostly forgot after I discovered higher quality green teas. :)

Dec 23rd, '10, 09:33

by febs » Dec 23rd, '10, 09:33

I'm amazed. I can't drink any other tea today. With a big spoon of argentine honey, by the way. It's a miracle for my throat ache.

Yay!

Dec 23rd, '10, 15:49

by AlexZorach » Dec 23rd, '10, 15:49

This combination sounds really good, and it makes me wish I hadn't used up all my kukicha; I'll have to wait till I get some again.

I do love ginger but I haven't explored blending it with teas very much. I would not think of gunpowder as the first option of a green tea that I'd be inclined to try it with.

Dec 27th, '10, 11:36

by febs » Dec 27th, '10, 11:36

Well, just try :)

The reason why I suggest you so is that if you brew a very strong ginger tea (with a good amount of ginger and allowing it to boil and rest for a pretty long time), and put honey in it (I can't drink it elsewhere :) ), then the flavor of the green tea is mostly overwhelmed by the ginger one.

You still feel it's taste, it is still beneficial, and there's still that nice amount of coffee that keeps your alertness high. But, the taste you feel into your throat and mouth is still mostly the ginger one.

I can't live without this discovery now. I think I'll have liters and liters of it for the whole winter.

Cheers!

Dec 2nd, '11, 09:28

by febs » Dec 2nd, '11, 09:28

I "bump" this thread up because I love this "recipe" so much that I want to spread it some more. :)

Don't forget to put a good honey into the blend! :P

Dec 2nd, '11, 17:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Dec 2nd, '11, 17:47

Ginger goes well with many kinds of tea :D

It can commonly be found in Malaysia blended with Black Tea

see wikipedia
Teh halia (literally ginger tea in Bahasa Melayu) is a tea beverage that is commonly consumed in Malaysia and Singapore. It is prepared like English tea with milk although it contains the added ingredient of ginger. Another notable feature of the beverage is that it is 'pulled' in the same style as teh tarik preparation.
However in my experience it is rarely pulled like Teh Tarik, and occasionally served without milk.

The many Mamak restaurants and cafes serve it Hot (teh halia Panas) and Cold (teh halia ais) but the majority of them use powdered ginger which results in a far inferior brew.

Some hawker stalls have a special family recipe for boiling the fresh ginger and have a loyal following - my favourite by far is a hawker on the corner of Jalan Penang and a side street, very near lebuh Campbell where I buy my tea in Penang.

Dec 8th, '11, 03:18

by chiqclick » Dec 8th, '11, 03:18

Ive always been a fan of ginger. I'll try this too.

Dec 13th, '11, 10:24

by febs » Dec 13th, '11, 10:24

Herb_Master wrote: Some hawker stalls have a special family recipe for boiling the fresh ginger and have a loyal following - my favourite by far is a hawker on the corner of Jalan Penang and a side street, very near lebuh Campbell where I buy my tea in Penang.
That's just what I am doing. I find it cool to read that others do the same thing that I "invented" on my own, and that for them, this is as a tradition. Internet is a beauty.

By the way, my very humble advice is that if you're experienced with the matter you should update the Wikipedia page (I did sometimes). It may happen that it is edited by tourists that write down stories rather than (for many reasons) by locals, and for some not very mass-ified topics Wikipedia, while being a huge source of quality information overall, doesn't describe everything in the best way as possible.

Cheers!

Jan 1st, '12, 19:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Jan 1st, '12, 19:34

I hope to be consuming some in February - I shall be in Penang for Thaipusam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaipusam
(after some Jungle Trekking in Sarawak over the Chinese New Year)

I will observe as closely as possible and make notes before considering whether to update wikipedia.

+ Post Reply