Chinese tea companies?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 1st, '11, 23:32

Chinese tea companies?

by garrettmc » Dec 1st, '11, 23:32

Has anyone ever tried packaged Chinese teas that you can find on international markets like eBay? There are several TGY's for good prices and their names all in Chinese. Does anyone know about the general quality of packaged teas like these?

Dec 2nd, '11, 03:26

Re: Chinese tea companies?

by bagua7 » Dec 2nd, '11, 03:26

You mean something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Organic-High-Mo ... 3cb385790e

Pfft. Quality TGY starts from $70/100g; that is one that provides a pleasant brewing and tasting experience with a full and long-lasting mouthfeel. It would be like separating the wheat from the chaff. At those prices, forget about it, you'd be buying low quality commercial stuff (supermarket tea).

Better ask about specific names, then you'll obtain a more downright answer.

Good luck.

Dec 2nd, '11, 21:09

by garrettmc » Dec 2nd, '11, 21:09

Yes that's actually the exact one I was talking about. But what about some of the oolongs from Dragon Tea House? they have a large selection of tea and are based in China. They have some cheaper 100g sizes. What do you think the quality of some of these would be like?

Dec 3rd, '11, 02:23

by Oni » Dec 3rd, '11, 02:23

There are diffrences between mass produces teas, some can be good, others just a meere immitation of the name they carry, and there are teas made by humble villagers that are the best in the world.
Please download and watch the movie "All in this tea" from 2007 where David Lee Hoffman shows interesting facts about the chinese tea bussiness, I watched that movie many times and I learned a lot.

Dec 3rd, '11, 03:13

by FineTeaUK » Dec 3rd, '11, 03:13

garrettmc wrote:Yes that's actually the exact one I was talking about. But what about some of the oolongs from Dragon Tea House? they have a large selection of tea and are based in China. They have some cheaper 100g sizes. What do you think the quality of some of these would be like?
It's really very difficult to asses without actually tasting them. It's better to request a range of samples to taste, which many wholesalers will be happy to supply (at cost). Better to do this than order several 100g of poor quality tea. I've found it beneficial to request the organic certifications, if a retailer is claiming a tea is organic. Again it's not 100% guarantee, but it would provide more purchase confidence.

Jan 13th, '12, 19:22

by Splinters » Jan 13th, '12, 19:22

Re Dragon Tea House teas -- I've tried many over the years. In general, and remember that this is my personal impression: their greens are super, their oolongs okayish, and their herbals avoidable.

I plan on returning to them in the future, but mainly for green teas.

Jan 17th, '12, 18:04

by intelligen_tea_a » Jan 17th, '12, 18:04

It is very easy to get scammed, especially for tea, on a site like e-bay. If you do buy tea in this manner, make sure that the seller is trusted and reputable. Just a warning.

As for me, I'll stick with the websites that only sell high quality tea, many of which can be found on the TeaVendor section of this forum.

+ Post Reply