Nepali Tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Nov 26th, '11, 21:27

Nepali Tea

by Dresden » Nov 26th, '11, 21:27

Hey all...

I was just wondering who out there has tried Nepali tea and what you think of it.

I am currently waiting on some Golden Nepal Maloom Estate
TGFOP1 from Tea Trekker. Does anyone here have any experience with this particular tea?

Also... What is the traditional way of preparing tea in Nepal?

Thanks,
Mike

Nov 26th, '11, 21:33
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Nepali Tea

by Chip » Nov 26th, '11, 21:33

The Nepal "black" I had several years ago was very reminiscent of Sikkim and Darjeeling ... quite good and enjoyed. Some claim that Nepal is used in underhanded blending of Darjeeling w/o so stating ... so they seem to agree that it is quite like a Darjeeling.

Enjoy!

Nov 26th, '11, 23:19

by Tead Off » Nov 26th, '11, 23:19

Dresden wrote:Hey all...

I was just wondering who out there has tried Nepali tea and what you think of it.

I am currently waiting on some Golden Nepal Maloom Estate
TGFOP1 from Tea Trekker. Does anyone here have any experience with this particular tea?

Also... What is the traditional way of preparing tea in Nepal?

Thanks,
Mike
The areas adjacent to Darjeeling but inside the Nepali border is very similar to Darjeeling and the teas they produce can be just as good. Same brewing parameters. This is also high mountain tea and many are organic.

Dec 1st, '11, 15:45

by AlexZorach » Dec 1st, '11, 15:45

I can't say anything about the tea culture in Nepal.

But I've tried two teas from Nepal, a green tea from Kanchanjangha estate (sold by Arbor Teas) and a black tea from Jun Chiyabari estate (sold by Imperial Tea Garden). I loved the Jun Chiyabari black tea...was not a huge fan of the green tea, however. It was okay, but I would not seek it out again, whereas the Jun Chiyabari tea I really liked.

I agree with the others that it is Darjeeling-like...both of the teas I tried were Darjeeling like, in the sense of being similar to, respectively, typical green teas and black teas from Darjeeling.

Dec 3rd, '11, 03:34

by FineTeaUK » Dec 3rd, '11, 03:34

Oddly enough, just posted about this. I've just got back from Nepal and found the black tea from the Ilam region to be very good. The second flush is actually better than the first, and a little cheaper too. It is very similar to Darjeeling, as it's grown just over the border. The white tea wasn't worth bothering with in my opinion. I tried several varieties and nothing stood out. Green tea varied in quality considerably. The most expensive variety they sold, marketed as "Emerald Tea" wasn't that great, whereas a cheaper organic (can't confirm the status as organic) green was really very nice, a small leaf, needle like in appearance and an odd cross between Huangshan Mao Feng with hints of Gyokuro rather surprisingly. The Ilam oolong tea was probably the best flavour, with a distinctive apricot taste, much like single tree phoenix oolongs.

Nepal sell a lot of CTC tea as well as hand or machine rolled, so make sure you know you are buying the kinf you like, which for most will not be the CTC!

Dec 3rd, '11, 19:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Dec 3rd, '11, 19:30

Second flush sounds interesting, the only Nepalese teas I've tasted were rather similar to Darjeeling first flushes.

Dec 3rd, '11, 19:58

by Poohblah » Dec 3rd, '11, 19:58

All I know about Nepalese tea is that the Nepalese staff at the local Nepalese restaurant make really wonderful masala chai. Clearly there are others who know more than me; I look forward to learning a little :)

+ Post Reply