Tuesday 12/6/11 Tea Distractions?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic hits home for me (see next post). Are there events in your life that distract your enjoyment of tea, your discussion of tea? Please share.

Yes, currently
20%
Yes, often
36%
Yes, it happens
32%
Maybe
No votes
Hm, not really
8%
Definitely not
4%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 25

Postby Chip » Dec 6th, '11, 01:41

Greetings TeaFriends ... welcome to a new TeaDay. Please stop in and share what is in your cup throughout the day ... and discuss the topic of the day.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic hits home for me (see next post). Are there events in your life that distract your enjoyment of tea, your discussion of tea? Please share.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Dec 6th, '11, 01:41

Posted elsewhere on the forum tonight.

Chip wrote:I feel a bit compelled to ... apologize to you all for being more than a bit distracted lately. As most of you already know, my father passed away not too long ago. And then this road rage incident (where I was the "victim") has been a huge distraction for me.

Hopefully today, a new chapter begins ... hopefully the final hearing will take place at around 9:30 am Eastern USA time. Through this process, the charges against the "defendant" have escalated to finally meet the severity of the crime.

However, this truly has affected me. It is odd, I knew I was affected, but I did not realize it ... if that makes any sense. I guess being repeatedly threatened with being run over and being rammed repeatedly while standing toe to bumper/grill with a 6000+ pound super heavy duty pickup truck has caused me ... severe anxiety.

TBH, TeaChat and discussing tea suddenly fell off the map so to speak. I think I can say the events have either altered or changed my life.

Today hopefully I can close this chapter of the saga ... instead of constantly being asked to look backwards to the whole series of events.

And again I can look forward to TeaChat and discussing all things tea with my TeaFriends.

Ironically ... a few days ago I received a very positive (nonrelated to this incident, and very tea related) great, stupendous, exciting, awesome ... news that may also prove to be life altering.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: Tuesday 12/6/11 Tea Distractions?

Postby JRS22 » Dec 6th, '11, 10:36

Maybe it's a survival mechanism - if you had realized how deeply affected you were by these 2 major life events you might have been unable to function. And neither event was simple - you were also affected by your father's final illness, and the prosecution of your attacker. All in all, enough difficulty for a decade, and it all happened in the space of one year.
JRS22

Postby JRS22 » Dec 6th, '11, 10:47

On a lighter note, I'm still dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Irma. I don't have a functioning house heater yet, but hot tea is a perfect remedy for chilly mornings.

In my cup this morning, An Ji Bai Cha from Jing. Good, and drinkable, but not as good as the more expensive version from Seven Cups. I suppose that's a good thing, since it helps me justify the additional expense. That's not always the case - the Seven Cups TPHK was a clear winner, but the Gu Zhu Zi Sun comparison was a draw.
JRS22

Postby debunix » Dec 6th, '11, 16:12

While tea is very important to me, and I manage to make some almost every day, there are definitely lots of situations where I don't get to give it the attention I prefer.....like the days when I work in an office where I can't really keep a proper tea setup, or when traveling without sufficient time or access or interested companions to share it.

But even in the middle of a month complicated (at least, complicated regarding tea contemplation) by a lot of travel etc as noted above, I suddenly have a new tea fan in the one satellite office where I don't normally brew the tea on site, so I'm having fun bringing a different tea each time to share with her. Tea sneaks in here and there even when I'm too busy to post much in the forum.

Today, sharing some Honyama Sencha from Yuuki-Cha with office mates, and prepping a thermos of Ali Shan Oolong for a long afternoon.
debunix

Postby teaisme » Dec 6th, '11, 16:22

past couple years my life has been pretty stable along with my tea enjoyment !

some taiwanese bi lo chun today. It's light, absorbing, warming, and just what I need this drizzly afternoon. :)
teaisme

Postby Chip » Dec 6th, '11, 16:42

JRS22 wrote:Maybe it's a survival mechanism - if you had realized how deeply affected you were by these 2 major life events you might have been unable to function. And neither event was simple - you were also affected by your father's final illness, and the prosecution of your attacker. All in all, enough difficulty for a decade, and it all happened in the space of one year.

Thank you! :mrgreen: (5 months actually, and the events occurred w/ just about a month of each other)

teaisme wrote:past couple years my life has been pretty stable along with my tea enjoyment !

some taiwanese bi lo chun today. It's light, absorbing, warming, and just what I need this drizzly afternoon. :)

I have never had Taiwanese BLC, sounds interesting! It is good to see more Taiwanese greens becoming available.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby jaderabbit » Dec 7th, '11, 14:32

I'm in the middle of final exams so I've just been using teabags from the cafeteria and then rushing to the library. I can't wait for winter break so I can sit down with my gaiwan and have a proper tea session. :cry:
jaderabbit

Postby mWin » Dec 7th, '11, 15:36

I originally thought that I wasn't distracted at all, but then after thinking about it I realized I have been.

For most of October I was drinking tea just about every weekday, or every other day.

Then in November I started coaching basketball and realized just how much time it takes up. I spend about 3-4 hours a night at practice, but then I end up staying up late at night and sleeping in late. And then after I wake up I'm scrambling to try and get things done and tea has taken a side to everything else.

I need to start getting back into the routine of drinking tea as I always felt a lot better, more focused and energized after drinking a cup.
mWin

Postby gargoylekitty » Dec 7th, '11, 16:41

I have tea everyday regardless, but with a lot that's been going on in my life in the past few months, I hadn't had as much time to just sit and enjoy it as much as I had been.

Though lately I've been trying to break that pattern and rearrange things to allow myself that time. It's just a nice way to calm down and having that helps me not be so stressed out in other areas of my life. That is, it's worth chasing off the nagging feeling of 'but you could be finishing up X with that time!' or 'are you sure you finished Y? Go check!' or... so many other things.

Having some of Maiko's Fugenji-midori gyokuro right now. Yum.
gargoylekitty

Postby Chip » Dec 8th, '11, 02:11

Let's keep this topic going one more day. I am sure there are more responses out there!

Tomorrow will bring us a poll question from a TCer!

Looking forward to sharing tea with everyone, bottoms up!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Nenugal » Dec 8th, '11, 06:29

I'm quite distracted at the moment, and have been for the last couple of months... I have been working hard to finish my PhD dissertation, and have little time for relaxing with a cup of tea. I have just got comments on my third draft from my supervisor, with just some cosmetic issues remaining, so I hope I can submit it in a week or two. Then I will be distracted while looking for a new job :roll:
Nenugal

Postby brlarson » Dec 8th, '11, 12:17

Definitely distracted from tea discussions by work- and family life, at least for the last two years. However, these these things have not distracted me from enjoyment of tea, mainly because I choose tea based on how much attention I can devote to it. Tea is part of my daily life.

Drinking more 2011 DHP from seven cups this morning. I'm still trying to give this tea the benefit of the doubt. At some point I'll do a side-by-tasting with a Beidou No 1 that I trust to compare overall size, shape, weight, etc...
brlarson

Postby twinofmunin » Dec 8th, '11, 14:56

Yep, though it's nothing huge for me... just in that stage of my life where I'm trying to get my act together and proceed in stable fashion. Starting up biking, yoga, cooking at home more, and so on -- things that should enable me to better enjoy tea at home in future, but only once I have it down as routine.
twinofmunin

Postby tortoise » Dec 8th, '11, 17:20

When I get busy and stressed, as I've been for the last 3 or so months, I tend to forget about a lot of things. My workload has more than doubled with moonlighting and a few creative side projects, not to mention more 9-5 work stuff. I tend to not drink tea or coffee in the morning when this happens. Really, tea should still be incorporated because it does help me relax; but more often than not, I forget about all the things that would help reduce stress during stressful periods.

I'm starting to recover though and have been getting back into some japanese greens lately. Looking forward to placing a large-ish oolong order next week too.
tortoise

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions