Jiangtea

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 6th, '11, 23:16

Re: Jiangtea

by Tead Off » Dec 6th, '11, 23:16

Oni wrote:The vast majority of tea comes from a wholesale market, it is their behavior shown at the movie "All in this tea" that worries me, like blending higher quality tea from the right origin with other similar teas and selling it as a famous tea, like the laws that permit to use a famous name if the tea contains at leas 50% of it, it should be 100 % if you are asking me, teas should have a protected origin, and tea farmers should be protected from the abusive market, something like fair trade would be good, there are local farmers who sell high quality tea and they are not appreciated, there are few of those that reach the western market.
I mean tea from wholesale large market can be very good, but I am willing to pay more for small scale super high quality controlled origin tea.
This is how cheating is legitimized. This is why buying from vendors who go out of their way to source small farm production is so important. There will always be a demand for cheap teas but the growing market for high end teas will separate themselves from this group.

Dec 7th, '11, 01:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Dec 7th, '11, 01:36

Oni wrote:The vast majority of tea comes from a wholesale market, it is their behavior shown at the movie "All in this tea" that worries me, like blending higher quality tea from the right origin with other similar teas and selling it as a famous tea, like the laws that permit to use a famous name if the tea contains at leas 50% of it, it should be 100 % if you are asking me, teas should have a protected origin, and tea farmers should be protected from the abusive market, something like fair trade would be good, there are local farmers who sell high quality tea and they are not appreciated, there are few of those that reach the western market.
I mean tea from wholesale large market can be very good, but I am willing to pay more for small scale super high quality controlled origin tea.
Didn't you ask for tea vendors citing a 50cts/gram cap pricewise in the other thread? That simply does not match up to 'super high quality controlled origin tea'. Especially not for yancha.

I don't think the Western market is willing to pay as much as the Chinese market, which is part of the reason why few people bother to bring good tea to the West (and I do mean good). Local demand is better and stronger than that of the West.

Dec 7th, '11, 02:23

by Oni » Dec 7th, '11, 02:23

I want to have tea at home, always, but sometimes I want to taste something special, this goes with food and wine too.
I will buy "cheaper" tea, like 20 - 30 $ for 100 grams max, so I can drink tea every day, but from time to time I will try to sample something special.
The great misfortune comes from the fact that small scale high quality tea farmers sell really good tea for a low price for the wholesale market because they are not educated enough to know english and open an online store so they can sell their own tea, I would like to buy directly from the nearest village where Tai Ping Hou Kui is grown, I would gladly pay the farmer 100 $ for 100 grams of tea, rather than buy it from a middleman for 200 $/100 grams, and those middlemen bought it from the farmer for 10 $/100 grams, this does no justice to the local farmer who had the skill to make that tea right.

Dec 7th, '11, 06:41

by sherubtse » Dec 7th, '11, 06:41

Tead Off wrote:The main thing is to enjoy the tea you are drinking and try recommendations from posters who mention certain vendors who are known for selling good teas. You will not always agree with others, but, the point is to develop your own taste and pay attention to your own experience.
I completely agree, Tead Off, esp. as my tastes can frequently be at odds with the "accepted wisdom". :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

+ Post Reply