Friday TeaDay 12/9/11 Location, location, location?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

BioHorn asked "It would be interesting to see where members currently enjoy their favorite tea." I am wondering if preferences changed since we last did a similar topic.

Dedicated TeaRoom
5%
Living room
18%
Dining room
3%
Kitchen
23%
Home "office"
26%
Outdoors
3%
Right here, reading TeaChat
10%
In the shower/tub (yeah, someone said shower ON TC previously)
No votes
Other, some other location
13%

Total votes: 39

Dec 8th, '11, 23:32
Scrolling: scrolling

Friday TeaDay 12/9/11 Location, location, location?

by Chip » Dec 8th, '11, 23:32

Welcome everyone to TGIF TeaDay! Please stop in and share what is in your cup with us ... and be sure to answer the topic of the day.

We had been discussing TeaDistractions over the last few days. Please continue to discuss this topic.

TCer BioHorn asked "It would be interesting to see where members currently enjoy their favorite tea." I am wondering if preferences changed since we last did a similar topic. Please share this part 1 of a 2 part topic.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone, whereever that may be!

Dec 9th, '11, 00:53

Re: Friday TeaDay 12/9/11 Location, location, location?

by Poohblah » Dec 9th, '11, 00:53

My 10x10 student bedroom is essentially divided in half... half for my bed and bookcases, and half for a place to drink tea/listen to music/do homework/play card games/whatever... I almost never drink tea somewhere else unless I'm putting it in a thermos to take to school.

Dec 9th, '11, 01:19

by BioHorn » Dec 9th, '11, 01:19

I'll pipe in...
My wife graciously lets me occupy about 1/4 of our diningroom table with tea gear (hotplate, kettles, tea and some pots.)
When weather and light is right, we brew in our livingroom where the light streams directly in on those rare winter days when the sun actually shines on NE Ohio.

My favorite place to brew is our back porch screened-in "summer room." Only suitable for 64 F and above, with a view over our shrubby small back yard, it makes for an ideal place for tea with friends and family!

Dec 9th, '11, 01:23

by debunix » Dec 9th, '11, 01:23

My very favorite teas, the ones I want more relaxed time to enjoy, or to make in special pots/gaiwans/kyusus, are made in the kitchen at home. But for that home of my own that I might have someday, I definitely plan to be sure there is an electrical outlet handy for putting the teakettle on in the living room by my rocking chair.....so I can sit there and brew.

Right now, brewing at work, with the kettle right at hand, between my phone and the pen/paperclip/stamp holder thingie, and the tea tray between phone and computer. Occasionally, as happened today, someone complains when on a speakerphone call about a strange sound--the teakettle 'speaking up' as it starts a reheat cycle, to keep my water hot for tea. I sometimes have little interruptions in my brewing when I'm making a bunch of calls and have to turn off the kettle, and can't keep the infusions coming at proper intervals. Really can't whine too much, however, as I'm lucky to have the tea gear so ready at hand at all.

Dec 9th, '11, 11:04

by mWin » Dec 9th, '11, 11:04

Right now I'm working from home and my computer is in my bedroom. So on the days when I have tea, it's usually shortly after waking up and getting started for the day.

I spend 80% of my time on my computer so I'm rarely in the other rooms of my house. :lol:

Dec 9th, '11, 12:29

by Chip » Dec 9th, '11, 12:29

At this time, in the kitchen (which to anyone it would barely resemble a kitchen). Surrounded by all things tea ... cups, pots, kettle. Oh and TEA. All the choices are within handy reach. I begin heating water, while this heats, I pick a tea, then I pick a pot, then I often begin brewing and finally select a cup or cups.

Water is handy. It is convenient, it is a kitchen, but it also sings of tea.

It would be difficult to accomplish all this in just about any other room ... for now anyway.

Sitting at a modified butcher block table with stools only.

Began the TD with a little Kabuse from OTTI with the Mrs.

Dec 9th, '11, 15:25

by bsteele » Dec 9th, '11, 15:25

Home office. It's nice to sip on tea when in front of my computer "working"

But when I'm REALLY working... it's nice to drink tea then too :) I'm a wedding photog so I have many late nights or long sessions in front of Photoshop.

Dec 9th, '11, 17:56

by teaisme » Dec 9th, '11, 17:56

mostly living room, outdoors, friends houses, and desk at work.
Sometimes I will sit on the floor in a very small room if I am feeling it. No shower yet though. :lol: I try to not set aside teas as 'reserved' for special occasions. If I want to drink it it must be drunk not saved!

Some tong tian xian dancong from houde at work. Nice contrast to the very mellow feeling Huang Jing. A very green dancong but not too thin. Reminds me of the single bush yu lan at jingteashop but maybe slightly less explosive in a few regards (this is not a bad thing to me). Switched to clay cup and pot after a too bitter porcelain experience and now things are just right and I feel energized. I found this while cleaning out boxes I thought were empty---bonus! :mrgreen:

Dec 9th, '11, 21:56

by DoctorD » Dec 9th, '11, 21:56

Brewing always happens in the kitchen, for obvious reasons. If it's a serious session where I'm making notes, the kitchen table is the site. Otherwise it might be my favorite reading chair in the family room or (as right now) the computer desk in the study.

In the cup presently: YS Jade Pole green. Wonderful stuff.

Dec 9th, '11, 23:19

by sencha » Dec 9th, '11, 23:19

I usually make the tea in the kitchen and then sip it in front of my computer, but eventually I hope to have an area dedicated to zen meditation/tea.

Dec 10th, '11, 00:44

by Missdekitty » Dec 10th, '11, 00:44

I always have my tea in my office/computer room while I'm online or finishing up paperwork. I have my tea prep area set up on the bay window behind me, my few cups and pots on a shelf nearby. Making that final purchase of a kettle makes the whole tea preparation experience so much more enjoyable than running to the kitchen to boil fresh water over and over again.

I'm finishing up a sample of Adagio's dancong aria, adding this tea to my wishlist. :)

Dec 10th, '11, 08:15

by Chip » Dec 10th, '11, 08:15

A HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to artmom and Herb_Master!

About to go brew in honor of your birthdays.

Hmm ... wonder what tea it will be? :mrgreen:

Dec 10th, '11, 10:44

by JRS22 » Dec 10th, '11, 10:44

All is right with my tea world. I have a new house heater, so I unplugged the space heater from the outlet near my kitchen table, so I was able to move my electric kettle back to the kitchen table. I celebrated with a Gyokuro session. Since I purchased the gyo shib set from O-Cha and took advantage of the yuzamashi to facilitate the pre-heating process, my gyo sessions have been successes.

Dec 10th, '11, 11:46

by artmom » Dec 10th, '11, 11:46

A HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to artmom and Herb_Master!
Thanks, Chip! Many Happy Returns of the Day, Herb_Master, birthday twin!!

My cup today runneth over--Mariage Freres Marco Poli black. :D

Lyn

Dec 10th, '11, 13:25

by debunix » Dec 10th, '11, 13:25

It's Saturday, and I'm celebrating not going to work today by enjoying some of the last of the lovely Warashina Supreme sencha from O-Cha. Looks like there will just be enough for one more set of infusions. Happy birthday to all who have something cooler to celebrate today. Tasty tea, tasty teaware (Petr Novak TC SO set), in the usual corner of the kitchen.