Group buying power

For general/other topics related to tea.

Dec 9th, '11, 05:36

Group buying power

by zeto » Dec 9th, '11, 05:36

I realize that this forum is mostly associated with Adagio, however this applies to them as well as others.

I'd really like to see the relationships that TeaChat has formed with various retailers, by virtue of this community interacting consistently with them, be turned into something more beneficial in the form of a Groupon.

Essentially it becomes rolling sales that only activate if a certain number of people participate.

I know that in the past some people have grouped together in order to buy in larger bulk, then had an individual split up the bulk order and re-ship them to other members... this is really a nice thing that we can do here, but I feel that we could do better. I also feel that this forum would attract a lot more attention if it offered group purchasing power.

Dec 9th, '11, 08:23
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Group buying power

by Chip » Dec 9th, '11, 08:23

There are some related independent programs that have been considered ... these would be special events and not open all the time.

We do not necessarily want to squeeze vendors of the finer teas and teawares who may be relatively small and not too keen on the idea. Most of us would more likely want to maintain a positive and growing relationship with these vendors.

Also the groupon may attract special-offer flies who really do not care to discuss tea, do not care about the forum. They sign up for the privilege of using the groupon only. This already even occurs with the SOs currently run on TC.

Dec 9th, '11, 10:21

by zeto » Dec 9th, '11, 10:21

Assuming they don't price themselves into a loss, I would hope that this would give them business they otherwise would not get, particular in these times.

If not desirable, then that's ok too, but I figured that I'd bring up the topic since it can in theory benefit everyone involved... particularly the small stores that might see a surge of business and profit, provided the service is offered at a much lower overhead than say, the actual groupon site (which actually often nets a loss to the establishment.)

There will always be only a small percentage that will stick around and discuss their tea (I'm sure if you run analytics you could even put a number to that); but as a whole we all still represent the tea community, and as such, I think that guaranteed bulk income (supply side) with guaranteed savings (demand side) can only draw attention and grow the community, and since the percentage of talkers usually is roughly static, more community members means more people who stick around, and everyone involved will be more likely to make purchases in general.

Anyway those are my thoughts on advertising and marketing through group buying... whether or not it's right for this group is up to you guys :)

Dec 9th, '11, 12:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 9th, '11, 12:03

Do not get me wrong, I am always open to hearing and discussing new ideas from members ... and would certainly be interested in hearing others thoughts on such ideas.

If there is enough serious interest in an idea, I am always willing to investigate the feasibility of such ideas further ... from both the member point of view and well as vendor point of view.

Alternately what I had considered for some time is simply having a member day or days with selected vendor(s). This would serve to both promote a vendor and give members an incentive to try a vendor.

+ Post Reply