Writing About Tea

Have a Tea Blog or Tea Vlog? Post a topic here.

Dec 14th, '11, 00:23
Scrolling: scrolling

Writing About Tea

by Dinahsaur » Dec 14th, '11, 00:23

I saw elsewhere that there is a very impressive thread where a large number of members list out their tea blogs. I am planning to start one myself in the next couple of months (once I conclude a bit more of my personal studying and my friend/designer completes my personalized WordPress layout). I've been focusing a bit of my attention so far on what kinds of words are used when discussing tea, both the dry leaf as well as the liquor itself. However, this kind of information leaves some blanks in one's repertoire when considering something as potentially expansive as a blog.

I've been reading (or at least skimming) a large number of tea blogs (many of the members from the aforementioned thread in particular) to get a feel for what's out there and how it's being confronted. What I'm interested in now is a bit of discussion with some of these writers to learn more about your actual thought processes.

I have always loved to write from a more analytic perspective with my own personal voice pushing through (can you tell?), so I find it incredibly interesting and fun to hear about other perspectives when approaching similar topics.

With that, I'll leave it be and cut myself off before I go on so long that no one even wants to send in feedback. I look forward to discussing this more with all of you!

Dec 21st, '11, 21:32

Re: Writing About Tea

by sencha » Dec 21st, '11, 21:32

I've written a few reviews on Steepster for various teas, but I find it difficult to describe what I'm tasting. Grassy? Vegetal? Umami? I don't know! As long as it tastes good, right? :mrgreen:

I'd love to be able to describe the experience of tea in-depth like a professional, but I can't--yet.

Dec 22nd, '11, 16:58

by Dinahsaur » Dec 22nd, '11, 16:58

At this point, I feel like I'm in a similar place, Sencha! I know I will need to practise, and I have a feeling some of my early reviews may be lacking in substance. I just ordered a Dong Ding Oolong sample pack from Life in Teacup, so I'm thinking of practising on those teas as a starting point! Who knows? Maybe when I get my blog up and running, they'll be among my first reviews?

To be honest, I think the main area I struggle in is connecting the words I know are used to describe tea to the tea I'm drinking. It's all quite new to me!

Dec 29th, '11, 23:17

by SlientSipper » Dec 29th, '11, 23:17

Dinahsaur wrote:At this point, I feel like I'm in a similar place, Sencha! I know I will need to practise, and I have a feeling some of my early reviews may be lacking in substance. I just ordered a Dong Ding Oolong sample pack from Life in Teacup, so I'm thinking of practising on those teas as a starting point! Who knows? Maybe when I get my blog up and running, they'll be among my first reviews?

To be honest, I think the main area I struggle in is connecting the words I know are used to describe tea to the tea I'm drinking. It's all quite new to me!
I've written a bit about tea before.
Try closing your eyes and envisioning the texture, your mood, what its missing what it makes you want to taste next, anything really.
Best of luck to you.

Dec 29th, '11, 23:53

by Dinahsaur » Dec 29th, '11, 23:53

Thanks for the advice, SilentSipper. Maybe I'll even take the advice of your name and focus even more as I'm sipping. ;)

Seriously though, I just appreciate any input and this is a good way to try and focus my thoughts and understanding of the tea.

+ Post Reply