Wednesday TeaDay 12/14/11 Make room for tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Related to our last topic, do you have a room dedicated to your enjoyment of tea? If not, would you want one? Of course, please share.

Yes, and use it all the time
5%
Yes, use it often
No votes
Yes, use it sometimes
No votes
No, not really
36%
Definitely not
10%
Bonus, would love one!
33%
Bonus, maybe want one
5%
Bonus, I can live without one
12%

Total votes: 42

Dec 14th, '11, 01:54
Scrolling: scrolling

Wednesday TeaDay 12/14/11 Make room for tea?

by Chip » Dec 14th, '11, 01:54

Greetings TeaFriends! Welcome to a new TeaDay. Please drop in and share what is in your cup throughout the day. Also discuss the topic of the day.

We had been discussing where we enjoyed drinking our tea. Please continue to discuss this topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Related to our last topic, do you have a room dedicated to your enjoyment of tea? If not, would you want one? Of course, please share.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Dec 14th, '11, 03:01

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 12/14/11 Make room for tea?

by entropyembrace » Dec 14th, '11, 03:01

Not really, I enjoy doing other things while drinking tea too much to dedicate a room just to tea.

Dec 14th, '11, 12:50

by JBaymore » Dec 14th, '11, 12:50

As when this topic came around in the past.... I am highly fortunate and blessed to have a Japanese-style tearoom in my home. It took 30+ years to get it.... so persistence and determination is important.

best,

..............john

Dec 14th, '11, 13:22

by brlarson » Dec 14th, '11, 13:22

I usually have to work while drinking tea but would love to have a dedicated tea/zen room, from which my wife and I would get much enjoyment.

I finished the last of my 2010 Ultimate sencha (Zencha) with lunch today. With breakfast I had an inexpensive shui xian from Best Tea Online.

Dec 14th, '11, 14:47
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Dec 14th, '11, 14:47

I dream of having a tea room for that sole purpose as of now every room in the house is my tea room (yes I have even had tea in the shower).
started my day with my stand-by sencha, Shan-izumi from halcyon tea, then moved on to a good gyokuro.
drink up!
Blair

Dec 14th, '11, 17:35

by teaisme » Dec 14th, '11, 17:35

sure why wouldn't I want a special room dedicated to tea? :P
Right now I just have a bunch of corners scattered around.

Some pu from nada today, yummmm and comforting :mrgreen:

Dec 14th, '11, 22:35

by debunix » Dec 14th, '11, 22:35

While I can imagine the pleasure of having a special corner for tea, it is so integrated into my other daily activities that I can't imagine a tea room getting much use.

Today, started with Lao Tai Di Qing Xin Oolong from Norbu, a deeply-roasted Taiwanese oolong from Jenai, then moved on to Yuuki-cha Honyama sencha--a reverse of the usual order. Both prepared in the office....

Dec 15th, '11, 01:01

by Dinahsaur » Dec 15th, '11, 01:01

While I love the idea of a tea room in my home, I just don't think I would get overmuch use out of it. Like others have mentioned, my tea drinking is very much integrated with my other daily activities. I enjoy taking time occasionally to really focus on my tea (especially the first time I try any new one!), but I'll be the first to admit I can have a short attention span. So a dedicated tea (and in my case reading) room... well, I'd first need the extra room, and then I'd need it to be an extra extra extra room so I can use the first two extra rooms for other things (work space, etc.) that I would use more frequently and bring the tea in while I use those other rooms with a purpose. I feel like I just created a confusing rambling statement with a few too many repetitious words, so I think that's where this is going to be left.

Dec 15th, '11, 08:35

by JRS22 » Dec 15th, '11, 08:35

I'm quite happy drinking tea in my kitchen, which is just as well since I don't have any 'extra' rooms to devote to tea. I am planning on setting up an outpost in my workroom on the second floor devoted to Puerh. My old electric kettle has variable temperature settings but it's analog dial isn't accurate enough for green tea but should be fine for Puerh. And moving my small but growing Puerh collection out of the kitchen will free up space for my growing teaware collection!

I've been drinking odds and ends the last few days to free up my Upton sample tins. There's an O-Cha order in the mail, and new washi canisters ready to receive fresh new tea. Each washi canister holds 3 Upton tins, keeping my tea organized and fresh.

In my cup this morning is the last of my 2010 Tsuru Jirushi Gyokuro from O-Cha. Not a sad occasion, because waiting in the wings is a 50 gram bag of 2010 Kamejirushi! Now that I've developed an adequate level of gyo brewing skill I don't expect future purchases to last past the next harvest.

Jan 3rd, '12, 19:46

by CasualConnoisseur » Jan 3rd, '12, 19:46

I'm living in not much space right now, so I don't have a room for tea--nor do I feel I need one--but I am in the process of building a Pennsylvania spice box to hold my small-but-growing assortment of cooking spices and teas. Just that will be enough for me.

Jan 3rd, '12, 20:44

by Amaikokonut » Jan 3rd, '12, 20:44

A Pennsylvania spice box does sound ideal for tea-storage...I'll have to keep something like that in mind.

Before I moved into a much smaller shared living space, I did have a "tea area," a corner of my bedroom that I separated off from the rest of my room with curtains made from strings of origami cranes. There was room for little more than a tiny table and a beanbag, but it made for a nice little escape. Sadly it did not last very long, as my cat look a liking to the crane-curtains and routinely destroyed them.

I would love to have a tea room sometime in the future, but it's a distant dream that probably won't be worth the expense until I'm much more settled down in my life.

Drinking a blend of snowbud and jasmine pearls today. Trying to clear out a lot of my sample tins and most of them don't even hold enough for a single serving; improvising ensues.