Dec 19th, '11, 11:43

How to get temperature right and how to sample teas

by Memphislawyer » Dec 19th, '11, 11:43

Got some teas at teavana. A sevenberry sangria and wow, i liked the fact you could use boiling water but way too sweet.

Then i got a mix of something they serve you, the aruveydic chai and the mate blend. I like that. Then saw where it takes 180 degree water. Any easy way to find out when the water is 180 rather than taking a meat thermometer to it while it is coming to a boil?

Then, how can you tell what tea will taste like from reading the descriptions. I got four samples from here and they are all black teas, but I liked the mango tea from Cheesecake Factory and then a few of what they serve at Teavana. With the bad experience of the too-sweet roobios tea I got yesterday, I want to see what I might like from Adagio and Upton. Suggestions?

Dec 19th, '11, 12:48
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: How to get temperature right and how to sample teas

by Stentor » Dec 19th, '11, 12:48

Boil water, pour in some sort of pouring vessel, stick thermometer in water, let cool to 180.
Another less accurate method that doesn't require a thermometer is to pour boiling water from one vessel to the next; each change of vessel will cool the water down several degrees. This will require some experimentation to get it to the desired temperature.

Regarding your other question, I just think you need to order some teas in small sample quantities and see what you like and what you don't like. Then look at which words were used to describe the ones you liked. Other teas that are described with the same words may also be to your liking.

Dec 20th, '11, 22:28

by SlientSipper » Dec 20th, '11, 22:28

Memphislawyer wrote:Got some teas at teavana. A sevenberry sangria and wow, i liked the fact you could use boiling water but way too sweet.

Then i got a mix of something they serve you, the aruveydic chai and the mate blend. I like that. Then saw where it takes 180 degree water. Any easy way to find out when the water is 180 rather than taking a meat thermometer to it while it is coming to a boil?

Then, how can you tell what tea will taste like from reading the descriptions. I got four samples from here and they are all black teas, but I liked the mango tea from Cheesecake Factory and then a few of what they serve at Teavana. With the bad experience of the too-sweet roobios tea I got yesterday, I want to see what I might like from Adagio and Upton. Suggestions?

I do not recommend Teavana. If you have a local China town may I suggest you try that place?
I've used a meat thermometer and it achieved desired results.
Just need to clip it to the pot.

Dec 23rd, '11, 01:32

by bryan_drinks_tea » Dec 23rd, '11, 01:32

A thermometer is definitely your best bet. And with any tea or tisane, you don't have to follow the directions on the box/bag. you might find that you like a cooler or warmer water temp. experiment and find what suits your taste!

You might try adagio first. Upton's teas are not regulated by year, and many of them may be stale when you get them. as far as straight up unflavoured tea - try, try, and try some more!

Bryan

+ Post Reply