Selling My Puerh Collection

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 19th, '11, 13:26

Selling My Puerh Collection

by whatsinaname » Dec 19th, '11, 13:26

Dear Teachatters,

I'm requesting input on how to sell off a puerh collection.

I realize this is not the recommended protocol for BST here, but I'm just getting started with this. I'll use that part of the forum as needed.

We have had a sudden, serious real-life development that requires liquidation of several assets.

Unfortunately, my tea collection of 100+ bings must be sold.

I have a significant collection of young puerh that I have sourced from several western vendors, including some of the rare 2011 teas from EoT.

If its okay with Chip, in the coming days I will post a list of my teas and CONUS selling prices in this thread. I'll be able to provide pics on request.

Advice on how to manage this is also welcome, as this is all new to me. (I bought my tea to drink, not sell.) Given the size of the offering, individual threads/images seemed overkill.

Now that I've determined to do this, I'm strangely at peace with it. Non-attachment training, I'll call it...

Thanks, kind folks!

Regards,
Steve

Dec 19th, '11, 13:43

Re: Selling My Puerh Collection

by AdamMY » Dec 19th, '11, 13:43

I think you have been around long enough to participate in Teaswap, although I would check the rules on that just in case. That might be the proper place for this endeavor.

Adam.

Dec 19th, '11, 15:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Dec 19th, '11, 15:22

I'm sorry to hear that something has happened that requires such a need on your part -- I hope that everything turns out okay!

As Adam says, you can probably use TeaSwap. At most, perhaps 2 threads, one for sheng, one for shu?

If you do not have a lot of time (and it doesn't sound like you do), then I think that for a lot of us, a group photo would be okay... most important would be a short description of your storage conditions, then a list of the items themselves. You might link or further describe the more unknown ones (or the rarer ones) -- but again, even just doing that will take a lot of time... people can probably just ask further questions as needed from there.

All the best!

Dec 19th, '11, 15:41

by Chip » Dec 19th, '11, 15:41

Sorry to hear about your life threatening situation. I am sure we all hope for a fast and hopefully positive resolution!

I would recommend (and prefer) posting a topic under TeaSwap when you are ready. You can then post a link to the TeaSwap topic here in this topic.

This way the sale is done properly, but you receive promotion here.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Dec 19th, '11, 16:11

by shah82 » Dec 19th, '11, 16:11

That's terrible to hear.

Do want to say that Puerh is just not a very liquid asset (because the people who are comfortable buying home-aged bulk tea is pretty small), and selling them to raise cash is probably about selling your best stuff at a large discount. However, that's a lifesaver when you *can* do that, like that guy who sold a couple of tongs of Yangqinghao. Just make sure the action does go towards solving or genuinely mitigating whatever crisis you have. If it looks like a long term crisis, or that it wouldn't help much, well, good tea really help bad days, so make sure you value that aspect as you decide which and how much. It can be hard to make such decisions. For example, keeping a car when you've had a financial disaster often makes things worse, because cars can cost so much to keep. Or trying to make something do double duty, like use a houseboat as a primary residence, simply will not work because of ancillary needs. It's hard to decide *what* to do, so the first order of business is knowing you'll have to forgive yourself. And when things get better, forgiving yourself.

Dec 20th, '11, 11:46

by bryan_drinks_tea » Dec 20th, '11, 11:46

whatsinaname wrote:Dear Teachatters,

We have had a sudden, serious real-life development that requires liquidation of several assets.
I'm very sorry to hear that there is a problem. My sympathies and best wishes go out to you and your family.

Best,

Bryan

Dec 20th, '11, 15:07

by bearsbearsbears » Dec 20th, '11, 15:07

I would say:

Post all the tea in one thread, no photos.
Post sheng list & shu list as separate posts in the thread
Organize by year
Include factory, cake name, and how many of each you have, including remaining weight for stuff you'd started drinking already.

Something like:
2001 Xiaguan 8653, 1 cake, 200g left, $price
2005 Dayi 7542, 2 cakes @ 357g, $price
2005 Dayi 7542, 1 cake, 300g left, $price

Include your preferred payment terms and shipping info (if you can).

Dec 20th, '11, 22:31

by Chip » Dec 20th, '11, 22:31

... and post it under TeaSwap, please! :mrgreen:

Dec 21st, '11, 23:29

by MarshalN » Dec 21st, '11, 23:29

bearsbearsbears wrote:I would say:

Post all the tea in one thread, no photos.
Post sheng list & shu list as separate posts in the thread
Organize by year
Include factory, cake name, and how many of each you have, including remaining weight for stuff you'd started drinking already.

Something like:
2001 Xiaguan 8653, 1 cake, 200g left, $price
2005 Dayi 7542, 2 cakes @ 357g, $price
2005 Dayi 7542, 1 cake, 300g left, $price

Include your preferred payment terms and shipping info (if you can).
This is definitely the most sensible way of trying to sell, and I'd imagine at least some of us will have an interest, depending on what you've collected.

Dec 27th, '11, 13:33

by whatsinaname » Dec 27th, '11, 13:33

Hi Folks,

Pardon the delay as the dust settles from a most busy Holiday season. From Turkey Day to New Years, we are a continuous bustle.

Thank you all for the kind words! “When life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door.” I am sure we will get by. Thankfully, this is not a “fire sale” situation, just a victim of circumstance.

Appreciate the input on annotating the lot. I’ve collated the descriptive data on the collection in excel, and will upload them next year into the TeaSwap forum. I’m hoping to create a few family photos of the collection as well.

To those who have sent PMs already, thanks for your interest!

Dec 27th, '11, 18:38

by shah82 » Dec 27th, '11, 18:38

Excellent. Get good money from your stuff! If you can actually take the time for the selloff, then you might even get a profit, overall.

+ Post Reply