Dec 25th, '11, 01:27

Looking for an Oolong pot...

by Acaelus » Dec 25th, '11, 01:27

And I came across these ones from Tea Trekker.

http://www.teatrekker.com/shop/yixing-s ... -teapot-7/

http://www.teatrekker.com/shop/yixing-wen-dan-teapot-2/

Are these good for their price? Or are they simply too expensive? I've done research on some hongni, zhuni, and zini, and so far I'm not really into buying things from online - I bought a "lvni" pot and so far the only taste I'm really getting from my Jing Xuan / Li Shan is a muted base tone, whereas in a sheng it lessens the astringency (needless to say, the Xi Shi Lv Ni pot is now a sheng pot).

So I've come to you all for help! :D I've also been eyeing the ones from Red Blossom, namely the Artisan Shipiao and the pear shape (605 and 601 respectively). Would these be good choices? Or are there any recommendations you can make for me under 150$ that you trust are real? I just want some good Yixing hehe, mainly for Yancha and my beloved Lishan.

Thank you all so much.

Dec 25th, '11, 03:07

Re: Looking for an Oolong pot...

by bagua7 » Dec 25th, '11, 03:07

Those pots are too porous to brew light oolongs like "lishan." You need a zhuni with a hard and good quality clay. To find this online is a hit and miss game that could cost you a great deal of money.

For wuji tea, the zi ni pot is a good choice if you care a lot about absorptiveness, but if you do care about details then you need to shoot for a harder clay like zhu ni or hong ni.

Why do you ask about those pots if you are not intending to buy them online?

Dec 25th, '11, 13:59

by Acaelus » Dec 25th, '11, 13:59

I never said I wasn't willing to buy online, but if possible, I would like to hold it in my hands first. I've bought two Yixings, a Xi Shi pot and brown (zi ni?) container, and I'm happy with both, although unsure about whether or not both contain Yixing and aren't "mudpots".

Dec 25th, '11, 14:43

by NOESIS » Dec 25th, '11, 14:43

I've had a few gao shan oolongs brewed in the pear shaped pot that you referred to, when I visited the Red Blossom shop a few months back. It did a fine job, but personally I prefer a fine porcelain gaiwan for these high mountain teas. You should shoot them an email, or give them a call. They are very nice folks.

Dec 25th, '11, 21:34

by Acaelus » Dec 25th, '11, 21:34

Excellent thank you! Would you be able to recommend any other pots though from sellers?

Dec 26th, '11, 12:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by jaderabbit » Dec 26th, '11, 12:01

I second the gaiwan recommendation for oolongs. It brings out the aroma and sweet notes better. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply