How Did YOU Learn About Tea?

For general/other topics related to tea.

How Did YOU Learn About Tea?

Postby Dinahsaur » Dec 28th, '11, 01:46

I've been learning more about tea each day. However, I'm never quite sure if I'm learning in the most effective way. My interest in tea is pretty wide and varied. I'd like to have general knowledge on most topics and eventually detailed knowledge into many. So here's a question I'd like to send out to all of you: How did you learn about tea? Did you read books, blogs, attend classes, pick it up in bits and pieces around the internet (like I'm doing now), or did ?

Do you have any particular books you would suggest? Are there any particularly educational blogs, YouTube channels, etc?
Dinahsaur

Re: How Did YOU Learn About Tea?

Postby debunix » Dec 28th, '11, 02:03

Two books I learned a lot from, especially helpful in getting ideas about new teas to seek out, and trying to match described flavor profiles with my tastings:
The story of tea, by Heiss & Heiss
The Harney & sons guide to tea, by Harney

Several online forums:
TeaChat
egullet
Archives of the Tea-Disc group (a quiet group now, but very informative)

And lots and lots of comparative tastings, both those organized through one of the above forums, or attempting to match the tastings suggested in the Harney & sons book, and just random teas.
debunix

Postby Dinahsaur » Dec 28th, '11, 11:40

Thanks, Debunix! I'm especially excited to try the tastings as you described. For some reason, my brain hadn't made the connection that if I compare as I taste them together, I'll gain better understanding. Oh, how silly of me.
Dinahsaur

Postby Acaelus » Dec 29th, '11, 02:45

I'm just a novice, but I peruse about seven blogs, two of them being Tea Master's Blog and MarshalN's blogs, all of which contain amazing information. And then the rest are just tasting blogs. And then Teachat, talking to some sellers of tea's owners (Red Blossom, pure-puer, norbutea), and slowly writing a teablog beginning with newbishness and taste testing notes.
Acaelus

Instant Messenger

Permissions