Sencha karigane recommendations?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 28th, '11, 22:43

Sencha karigane recommendations?

by Ramsay » Dec 28th, '11, 22:43

Please recommend some good sencha kariganes with rich flavor and good leaf to stem ratio. Thanks!

Dec 28th, '11, 22:50
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Sencha karigane recommendations?

by Chip » Dec 28th, '11, 22:50

Perhaps my fave sencha karigane has been an offering from Hibiki-An. Not sure what ratio you are looking for, more leaf or more stem? I want max stem! This one has had this. It was refreshingly aromatic. It was also great for personal blending since it has such a high ratio of stems.

Next fave, Sakura Karigane from O-Cha (have to double check the name). This one is pretty interesting in that it has sakura leaves in it which imparts a subtle cherry aroma. Not a flavored tea, just has sakura leaves!

And also very good, Den's and Maiko.

Dec 28th, '11, 23:02

by iannon » Dec 28th, '11, 23:02

at Maiko.. really read the descriptions..they have quite a few karigane..some are with gyo only steams and veins..some are gyo/sencha blend. I have been pleased with everything ive had from Maiko

Dec 29th, '11, 09:31

by JRS22 » Dec 29th, '11, 09:31

My favorite Japanese tea is Uji Sencha Otsuusan from O-Cha. It's a Karigane with a rich mix of tart and sweet flavors, with absolutely no bitterness. It's not too hard to brew, and protects me from wanting to have gyo every day!

Dec 29th, '11, 09:44

by Chip » Dec 29th, '11, 09:44

JRS22 wrote:My favorite Japanese tea is Uji Sencha Otsuusan from O-Cha. It's a Karigane with a rich mix of tart and sweet flavors, with absolutely no bitterness. It's not too hard to brew, and protects me from wanting to have gyo every day!
I seem to remember Kevin mentioning a while ago that Otsuusan was among the top sellers in the actual Tsuen tea shop in Japan. I guess all those tea drinkers cannot be wrong. :mrgreen:

This one does have gyokuro components ... I seem to favor all sencha components, personal preference. Though it has been several years since I tried this.

Dec 29th, '11, 14:17

by sherubtse » Dec 29th, '11, 14:17

Chip wrote:Perhaps my fave sencha karigane has been an offering from Hibiki-An.
Interesting to hear you recommend something from Hibiki-an, Chip. I assumed, wrongly, that they were not even on your "radar screen".

Anything else you liked from them? :?:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Dec 29th, '11, 14:20

by sherubtse » Dec 29th, '11, 14:20

Mellow Monk also has a karigane sencha, their "Frosty Garden Green Tea". Haven't tried it, so can't speak for the taste / quality.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Dec 29th, '11, 14:24

by sherubtse » Dec 29th, '11, 14:24

JRS22 wrote:My favorite Japanese tea is Uji Sencha Otsuusan from O-Cha. It's a Karigane with a rich mix of tart and sweet flavors, with absolutely no bitterness. It's not too hard to brew, and protects me from wanting to have gyo every day!
It's an interesting tea, to be sure. Quite creamy and brothy, in a chicken-soup-kind-of-way. Many speak of its tart taste, but I never experienced this.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Dec 30th, '11, 09:48

by JRS22 » Dec 30th, '11, 09:48

All 3 of O-Cha's kariganes have some gyo ingredients in the mix. Maybe that's why they've become my favorites. I've been experimenting with the Asa-Giri, which is all gyo, but the Otsuusan, which is a mix of Sencha and gyo, is still my favorite. The Otsuusan has a complexity that probably comes from the mix of Sencha and gyo leaves with stems. Tart but not too tart, sweet but not too sweet, etc, and none of the bitterness that troubles me with Sencha.

How about a Karigane OTTI? Then we could compare Hibiki-an, Maiko and O-Cha w/o buying all those 100 gram or, worse, 200 gram bags!

Dec 30th, '11, 10:06

by Chip » Dec 30th, '11, 10:06

JRS22 wrote:How about a Karigane OTTI? Then we could compare Hibiki-an, Maiko and O-Cha w/o buying all those 100 gram or, worse, 200 gram bags!
Already in the thought process on this one ... :wink:
sherubtse wrote:
Chip wrote:Perhaps my fave sencha karigane has been an offering from Hibiki-An.
Interesting to hear you recommend something from Hibiki-an, Chip. I assumed, wrongly, that they were not even on your "radar screen".

Anything else you liked from them? :?:
Well, truth be told, O-Cha and Hibiki-An are where I first cut my sencha teeth (direct from Japan). O-Cha has remained a fave vendor nonstop ever since. Hibiki-An has disappointed me a few too many times since then for them to be a fave vendor.

In fact, it has been a couple years since I had their all sencha Karigane. But it was sooo consistantly good. It had the freshness of the tropical sea. It was very elegant too, unlike many "kukicha" all sencha versions I have tried.

Unfortunately, I will have to refrain from any other recommendations right now since I have not recently/actively bought from their regular menu items.

But all Japanese vendors are on my radar, donCha know? :mrgreen:

Jan 3rd, '12, 15:31

by Ramsay » Jan 3rd, '12, 15:31

For the uninformed (like me) what is "OTTI"?

Jan 3rd, '12, 15:56

by teaisme » Jan 3rd, '12, 15:56

Ramsay wrote:For the uninformed (like me) what is "OTTI"?
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=16242

+ Post Reply