I'm new to pu'erh: What would you recommend?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 29th, '11, 15:55

I'm new to pu'erh: What would you recommend?

by Koailo » Dec 29th, '11, 15:55

I'm new to the world of pu'erh, and I was wondering if any of you would be able to help me. I've been reading about pu'erh online for a few months now, and for Christmas I was given some loose-leaf shu (the one here: http://www.davidstea.com/our-teas/pu-er ... den-pu-erh). This is the only pu'erh DavidsTea sells (besides those with other things added), and though I like it, I'm looking to buy something a bit more authentic.

I've been looking at a few of the teas on Yunnan Sourcing, but there's just so much selection, I don't know where to start. I'd like something that'll be ready for consumption as soon as I get it, so I think I'm looking for some shu pu'erh, assuming most decent sheng that's already aged will be too expensive for me. I'm willing to pay at most around $40 for 357g, but anything of a lower price would be great, as long as the tea's not junk. Raw pu'erh in that price range, ready for consumption, would also be welcome, but I don't know how available that is.

I'd prefer to buy something on the Yunnan Sourcing US site, because I live in Canada, but I'm open to any suggestions. I just want something that will be a good tea to start with, before I start buying more specific pu'erhs to fit my tastes.

Thank you very much for your time, I appreciate it :)

Dec 29th, '11, 19:43
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: I'm new to pu'erh: What would you recommend?

by bsteele » Dec 29th, '11, 19:43

shah82 wrote: This is especially a bargain...
http://www.norbutea.com/2006_haiwan_pea ... gory_id=35
I read it as "hawaiian" at first :shock:

Dec 29th, '11, 21:34

by joman » Dec 29th, '11, 21:34

If you want something reasonable and really pretty tasty try this:

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php main_page=product_info&cPath=13_14&products_id=1384

For a superb new sheng I love this tea:

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=1396

So you can try a couple tasty teas for a very reasonable price. MGH 1105 is excellent as well.
You don't have to spend a fortune to begin trying Pu-erh.
This loose Russian Pu will be easy for you to start with, has a clean full flavor, and is a bargain to boot:

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=1419

Sorry about the formatting. This is my second post. How do you insert a URL?

Dec 30th, '11, 01:17

by Earlcornbread » Dec 30th, '11, 01:17

Im a newbie, too. I have a lot to learn. Thanks very much for all the suggestions.

Dec 30th, '11, 12:23

by Koailo » Dec 30th, '11, 12:23

Thank you very much everyone!

Dec 30th, '11, 14:17

by Koailo » Dec 30th, '11, 14:17

After further researching the Boyou Tea Factory mentioned by joman, I think I'll go with one of their ripe teas. They seem to have great prices and quality.

Dec 30th, '11, 15:54

by Acaelus » Dec 30th, '11, 15:54

Koailo wrote:After further researching the Boyou Tea Factory mentioned by joman, I think I'll go with one of their ripe teas. They seem to have great prices and quality.
I would highly recommend cooked pu-erh, and try anything from the Menghai / Dayi tea factory, or Xiaguan. Both are often extremely well priced, and taste wonderful. I personally prefer Menghai / Dayi because of their sweeter taste, reminiscent of almonds.

Dec 30th, '11, 16:09

by Koailo » Dec 30th, '11, 16:09

Acaelus wrote:I would highly recommend cooked pu-erh, and try anything from the Menghai / Dayi tea factory, or Xiaguan. Both are often extremely well priced, and taste wonderful. I personally prefer Menghai / Dayi because of their sweeter taste, reminiscent of almonds.
I believe I'm going to get a 2007 Boyou cooked brick, because of the low price and apparent quality, and a 2007 Menghai 7572, because I've seen it mentioned as a "benchmark" and "classic" cooked pu'erh. I decided to go with the 2007 Menghai because the difference in cost between it and cakes from more recent years is only a few dollars. Do cooked pu'erhs normally change much with age though? I guess that would make sense, the aging's just been "sped up" at the beginning, and then they can still age after that.

Dec 30th, '11, 17:03

by Acaelus » Dec 30th, '11, 17:03

Koailo wrote:
Acaelus wrote:I would highly recommend cooked pu-erh, and try anything from the Menghai / Dayi tea factory, or Xiaguan. Both are often extremely well priced, and taste wonderful. I personally prefer Menghai / Dayi because of their sweeter taste, reminiscent of almonds.
I believe I'm going to get a 2007 Boyou cooked brick, because of the low price and apparent quality, and a 2007 Menghai 7572, because I've seen it mentioned as a "benchmark" and "classic" cooked pu'erh. I decided to go with the 2007 Menghai because the difference in cost between it and cakes from more recent years is only a few dollars. Do cooked pu'erhs normally change much with age though? I guess that would make sense, the aging's just been "sped up" at the beginning, and then they can still age after that.
Yup you're spot on. Shu pu-er does indeed age, and the age at which it reaches its prime is highly debated on, from 10-25 years. Of course, shu doesn't really change, and is much better for immediate consumption, often wanting to be drunk within about 5 years of purchase. That being said, it's also good to try a sample of a good sheng, aged about 10-25 years. It will be pricy, since. Sample of about 10g would cost anywhere from 20-40$ for a sample. I would highly recommend it though since shu is good, sheng is undoubtedly better in almost all aspects.

Dec 30th, '11, 18:39

by joman » Dec 30th, '11, 18:39

I really think you'll like the Boyou.
When I first unwrapped that brick I was surrounded by the delightful clean earthy smell of fine Shou. It's not so tightly pressed that you'll have to wrestle with it. I would keep it wrapped in the bamboo. Just get both hands wet and rub it on the bamboo and it gets flexible again while not getting so wet it'll mold.
A 2007 Menghai is a good choice. Those three years will have helped the blend's flavors settle in and any fermentation flavor to dissipate.
There are some sellers in Guangzhou and Hong Kong selling semi-aged Shengs at reasonable prices from the late 90's, like Yiwu Spring Buds or a Keyixing Brick, but many of them have been traditionally stored and require some experience to appreciate. But if you want to give them a shot it's not too pricey just let me know and I'll give you some links when I figure out HOW to insert them into these messages. :oops:

Dec 30th, '11, 21:32

by Koailo » Dec 30th, '11, 21:32

Great, thank you both, I certainly will try some good sheng when I get the chance. I think pu'erh is something I'll really get into :)

Dec 31st, '11, 07:20

by jan » Dec 31st, '11, 07:20

Try to find a tea where you can get a recent sample and one or more aged samples. This has really helped me to get an idea how one tea can taste in different stages. My tea in this case was a Bulang.

Otherwise: taste some shu which gives you a rough idea. However my aged pu has never directly reminded me of an aged sheng which I stored.

If you want to go sure buy from Menghai
Daji or Xia Guan.

Regards,
Jan

Dec 31st, '11, 08:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 31st, '11, 08:09

joman wrote:If you want something reasonable and really pretty tasty try this:

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php main_page=product_info&cPath=13_14&products_id=1384

For a superb new sheng I love this tea:

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=1396

So you can try a couple tasty teas for a very reasonable price. MGH 1105 is excellent as well.
You don't have to spend a fortune to begin trying Pu-erh.
This loose Russian Pu will be easy for you to start with, has a clean full flavor, and is a bargain to boot:

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=1419

Sorry about the formatting. This is my second post. How do you insert a URL?
I fixed your links for you ... you also may need a couple more posts for the links to be clickable (counter-spam measure. :mrgreen: ), but since I edited them, they are.
I would say, do not resize, I had to "unsize" them for them to work.

Dec 31st, '11, 19:23

by joman » Dec 31st, '11, 19:23

Thanks Chip!
I appreciate your help.
Guess it'll take a bit to get used to formatting.
Happy New Year,
Jeff

+ Post Reply