New to loose leaf Tea / Starting at Teavana

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Dec 27th, '11, 00:03

New to loose leaf Tea / Starting at Teavana

by RandomConsumer » Dec 27th, '11, 00:03

Hello I'm commenting on this section of the forum to get acquainted with the community I guess. Not much about me a freshman in college getting a job at Teavana. Need money for tuition and a new digi piano.

I have seen posted before with not so great reviews of Teavana and recently applied to and was responded to a day later with a job offer. I am in need of a job and hope that the previous experiences listed were merely localized instances.

Can you guys offer links to solid/proven info where I can brush up on my nonexistent knowledge of tea?

Dec 27th, '11, 00:05
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: New to loose leaf Tea / Starting at Teavana

by bsteele » Dec 27th, '11, 00:05

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/ (to Teavana... not to giving you tips :) )

Besides, you don't need REAL tea knowledge to work at Teavana, they'll fill you in on all their made-up, mumbo-jumbo tea info that you'll need to know to sell cast iron teapots.

All that aside, Wikipedia has a decent overview http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea

Dec 27th, '11, 00:18

by RandomConsumer » Dec 27th, '11, 00:18

Heh ._. I need the money. The other places for part time I have applied to are GNC and vitamin shoppe. No response for shoppe and a decent chance at GNC after first interview. GNC seems to be held in the same view as Teavana is in the supplement world.

I guess I will float around looking for threads that spark my interest. Thanks for the quick response though.

Dec 27th, '11, 04:58

by bsteele » Dec 27th, '11, 04:58

The biggest thing you'll need to be prepared for with Teavana is to sell, sell, sell.

And to sell some more.

And to annoy customers until they buy something, preferably a cast iron teapot :D

So real knowledge of tea pretty much takes a back seat. Not that some basic tea info wouldn't hurt at least for personal reasons.

Dec 29th, '11, 08:25

by Chip » Dec 29th, '11, 08:25

Hello and welcome to TeaChat, RandomConsumer!

Dec 29th, '11, 22:33

by bcrav1024 » Dec 29th, '11, 22:33

OP, you are so lucky! Rather, I am so unlucky hehe.

I have been trying to get a job at Teavana since July. I've applied twice, I absolutely love teas, and selling is one of my strong points. I just don't understand why it is so difficult to get a job at the mall when I'm the only person who would be enthusiastic about such a job.

Dec 30th, '11, 00:08

by Poohblah » Dec 30th, '11, 00:08

bcrav1024 wrote:I just don't understand why it is so difficult to get a job at the mall when I'm the only person who would be enthusiastic about such a job.
Because Teavana doesn't care about enthusiasm for tea, in fact, their tea is actually very low quality. They only care about sales, the bottom line, profit, etc.

Dec 30th, '11, 01:18

by Chip » Dec 30th, '11, 01:18

Poohblah wrote:
bcrav1024 wrote:I just don't understand why it is so difficult to get a job at the mall when I'm the only person who would be enthusiastic about such a job.
Because Teavana doesn't care about enthusiasm for tea, in fact, their tea is actually very low quality. They only care about sales, the bottom line, profit, etc.
Well that and because yu are not marked with 666 ... :twisted: (as expected since you are enthusiastic about tea).

Dec 31st, '11, 01:31

by SlientSipper » Dec 31st, '11, 01:31

bcrav1024 wrote:OP, you are so lucky! Rather, I am so unlucky hehe.

I have been trying to get a job at Teavana since July. I've applied twice, I absolutely love teas, and selling is one of my strong points. I just don't understand why it is so difficult to get a job at the mall when I'm the only person who would be enthusiastic about such a job.

Working at Teavana was one of the worst financial/emotional investments I have ever made in my life.
I have seriously been considering filing a corporate compliant to those people because the labor board didn't care/have enough time to do anything.

I seriously got treated better working at Sam's Club then I did there.

Dec 31st, '11, 20:25

by bcrav1024 » Dec 31st, '11, 20:25

Haha it's funny to see my comment got some lively responses. I normally don't even shop at Teavana since most of their teas are like a 4:1 filler to tea ratio, but when I do I buy only the strictly loose leaf stuff (Ex. Black Dragon Pearls, Sencha, etc.).

I've heard mixed reviews from various places about working there. In any case if I do land a job there I'll be sure to spread some honest, heartfelt love for tea :D

Jan 1st, '12, 01:26

by Acaelus » Jan 1st, '12, 01:26

Heya, I'm in the same boat haha... I applied to be a barista and I got an interview soon, so I'll probably be working at teavana. I'll be back to share my experience. I hope I'm not scared.

Jan 1st, '12, 01:47

by FlyedPiper » Jan 1st, '12, 01:47

The Tea class on the website here is a good starter. I went through it when I was new to different teas...

Other than that you have to listen to folks on the forum here and try a lot of good teas... a labor of love for sure.

Welcome to TC!

Jan 3rd, '12, 16:56

by ron45 » Jan 3rd, '12, 16:56

RandomConsumer wrote:Heh ._. I need the money. The other places for part time I have applied to are GNC and vitamin shoppe. No response for shoppe and a decent chance at GNC after first interview. GNC seems to be held in the same view as Teavana is in the supplement world.

I guess I will float around looking for threads that spark my interest. Thanks for the quick response though.
Hi seems to me you are looking in the right kinds of places to find work. I'm also a musician and did have a not so great experience at Teavana. Gotta love the name tho. Very smart. My experience there was my all fault as I thought I was getting 20 ounces for twenty dollars of some hot damn Darjeeling tea I was unfamiliar with. It turned out to be .2 ozs for the 20 bux. It was posted accurately on their site.

[Spell check thinks I'm a cretin so far but they let me get away with bux so that's something]

Not their fault at all but I haven't been back. PLUS I didn't like the tea. Single source estate tea that after you paid that kind of money you should like no matter what. Sorta like getting a new multi K dollar synth [ in the 32 meg sound chip days and loving all the sounds till you hear some a Kurzweil or other sampling synth. The tea was too tanic acidy if I steeped it the advised time and anemic if you didn't. I couldn't convince my self I was cool drinking this expensive tea.

I don't know the other's experiences, I'm new here too. But I expect you can find plenty of sell sell sell at any business you care to visit. The concept of forever more and more and more and still more doesn't work on a planet w/finite resources AND exponential population growth, exponential extraction of EVERYTHING, and exponential printing of money. Hmmmmmm guess that could be trouble for some of you. Soooooo,

How about that Lapsang Sou Chow and Sou Chong. `Smoked tea if you need something besides coffee to cut thru the bacon and eggs at breakfast. A quarter teaspoon or less in a large cup makes your favorite tea taste like you made it over a camp fire. So that's it. Lets get out there and scavenge those free radicals.... well maybe just those wrong wing radicals.... {:^)>

Ron

+ Post Reply