New Years resolution to drink more tea brought me here

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jan 2nd, '12, 12:48

New Years resolution to drink more tea brought me here

by Neist » Jan 2nd, '12, 12:48

Title sort of states the obvious tidbits. :)

Been a grocery store herbal tea drinker for quite a long time. In fact, we used to grow our own mint for tea when I was a child. On pretty much a whim, I've decided to give up most sugary drinks for the sake of my health and my teeth. Tea is my chosen replacement, as I could do far worse for something healthful.

Don't really drink anything besides herbals (mostly because I don't consume very much caffeine). I love chamomile, mint, and spice teas. Citrus teas are can be nice on occasion as well. :)

As a side note, I noticed the dislike for Teavana. I just took advantage of their sale and purchased some small amounts a couple teas, and while a few of them aren't amazing, I have to admit the sale prices I got them at were fairly nice, and the Zocolatte Spice tea is quite yummy. I'm rather satisfied at the price I paid, though I'm not sure if I'll get more once it's no longer on sale. The sales staff were a bit pushy, I admit, but fortunately I'm not a person that wavers under pressure.

I've rambled enough though! I look forward to learning more about tea, and I hope I can fit into this nice little community here.

Thanks!

Jan 2nd, '12, 15:06

Re: New Years resolution to drink more tea brought me here

by iannon » Jan 2nd, '12, 15:06

Welcome!
im not much of an herbal drinker personally but my daughter is a regular Rooibos drinker. blends i get at Adagio.

Jan 2nd, '12, 16:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 2nd, '12, 16:41

Welcome, Neist to TeaChat. Hope to see you around the forum.

Regarding caffeine ... is there a particular reason you stay away from it? Unless you are hyper sensitive to caffeine, you can comsume regular tea and then do shorter multiple steeps in order to reduce your caffeine consumption versus all long single steeps.

Jan 2nd, '12, 18:15

by Neist » Jan 2nd, '12, 18:15

Chip, the reason I stay away from it is probably going to seem a bit strange, but I'm happy to explain. :) A few years back I got a bad case of pleurisy. It was bad enough that I could feel my heart beat. When I had something caffeinated, my heartbeat became noticeably faster, and the pain obviously increased.

It took a good year to get totally over that spout, and I had given up caffeine because I didn't really enjoy the pain. Part of me avoids caffeine because I got into the habit of not drinking it. I tend to sleep better than I ever had before.

Another part of me avoids it because I realized how much it increased my heartbeat. Maybe I am sensitive to it, but I can't think that an increase in pulse by at least 50% was all that good of a thing.

Didn't know about the multiple steep thing. That's good to know. :)

I did look over the Adagio list of teas. Definitely are considerably more affordable than Teavana! I'll have to order me something.

Thanks for the welcome!

Jan 2nd, '12, 18:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 2nd, '12, 18:45

... OK, I would say that is a pretty good reason ... glad to hear that it is under control, and I would be the last person to suggest giving it another go ... :!:

If you want to try an herbal that is really different, Korean Hydrangea called Gamro Cha. You would likely have to buy it from a place online like Hankook. Just drop 2 leaves in around a cup of hot water. It is not cheap, but a bag lasts a long time! And great hot or cold!!!

http://www.hankooktea.com/hydrangea-lea ... n-can.html

They also have it in a larger container.

Jan 4th, '12, 09:38

by Neist » Jan 4th, '12, 09:38

Herm. That sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip! :)

+ Post Reply