Jan 1st, '12, 20:12
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by the_economist » Jan 1st, '12, 20:12

it has a flat filter, and the style/workmanship makes me think its not that old. maybe 90s?

Jan 2nd, '12, 02:12

by Chasen » Jan 2nd, '12, 02:12

TIM wrote:Clay: Zisha. high fired.
Size: 95 ml
Age/Year: 2002.
Walls: Medium
Pour: Smooth +/- 12 sec. Straight / No drips.
Source: Old Hong Kong Collector
Tea Pairing: Traditional High Fired Wuyi SX
Info: This is an original design, under the direction of the late National Grand Master Jiang Rong. Made by her student Liu JianJun. Receiving a 1st place honor in 2002.

http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/200 ... -pots.html

Tim, this pot is absolutely exquisite! Do you know if one can find pots of this quality stateside, or do you know of a reputable source online?

Eileen

Jan 2nd, '12, 20:10
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 2nd, '12, 20:10

ArNg wrote: TIM, the chop at the bottom of our pots are different yes? Could mine be a reproduction of your piece by a different artist?
ArNg, they are different artist for sure. I don't know if yours a reproduction, thats up to those experts to determine. What I know is, artist might have to try for many times before they can develop something original. Like the frog on lotus pot which Liu's Master made: http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/201 ... -with.html

Just to get the frog right, she did spend over many years to study and prefect. After many many 'test' pots later, resulting a couple of true "Master" variations of the pot.

Jan 2nd, '12, 20:19
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 2nd, '12, 20:19

Chasen wrote:Tim, this pot is absolutely exquisite! Do you know if one can find pots of this quality stateside, or do you know of a reputable source online?
Eileen
Thank You for the kind words Chasen. Not sure on the stateside, unfortunately. I am sure you can find good quality everyday pots online in the West, but I would do more homework for master grade yixing. If I might suggest not to rush into the madness :wink:

Jan 2nd, '12, 21:52

by Chasen » Jan 2nd, '12, 21:52

TIM wrote:
Chasen wrote:Tim, this pot is absolutely exquisite! Do you know if one can find pots of this quality stateside, or do you know of a reputable source online?
Eileen
Thank You for the kind words Chasen. Not sure on the stateside, unfortunately. I am sure you can find good quality everyday pots online in the West, but I would do more homework for master grade yixing. If I might suggest not to rush into the madness :wink:

Thanks Tim. Advice duly taken. Doing my research mostly on TeaChat, although I am reading other articles and checking out potters, techniques and prices.

Jan 2nd, '12, 22:56

by ArNg » Jan 2nd, '12, 22:56

TIM wrote:
ArNg wrote: TIM, the chop at the bottom of our pots are different yes? Could mine be a reproduction of your piece by a different artist?
ArNg, they are different artist for sure. I don't know if yours a reproduction, thats up to those experts to determine. What I know is, artist might have to try for many times before they can develop something original. Like the frog on lotus pot which Liu's Master made: http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/201 ... -with.html

Just to get the frog right, she did spend over many years to study and prefect. After many many 'test' pots later, resulting a couple of true "Master" variations of the pot.
I rather it is a reproduction by a different artist than a fake :D

Jan 3rd, '12, 01:15

by Poohblah » Jan 3rd, '12, 01:15

ArNg wrote:
Poohblah wrote:
ArNg wrote:Let me share with you guys another pot which I bought in Taiwan. I called it 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon'.
Well, the inscription on the side does read 虎踞龍盤, "where tigers crouch and dragons coil."
Thanks Pooblah, can also help me out with the zhu ni pair?
Anyway Happy New Year 2012 to teachatters!
Sorry, I can't. I've been staring at them for a while and they just don't quite make sense to me. I'm still learning Chinese in university, so quite a bit of Chinese is still lost on me. For instance, I understood the crouching tiger hidden dragon phrase without too much difficulty, but I didn't realize it was an idiomatic expression (chengyu) until I looked it up in a dictionary. Apparently it describes perilous places or something like that.

Jan 3rd, '12, 02:24

by ArNg » Jan 3rd, '12, 02:24

Poohblah wrote:
ArNg wrote:
Poohblah wrote:
ArNg wrote:Let me share with you guys another pot which I bought in Taiwan. I called it 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon'.
Well, the inscription on the side does read 虎踞龍盤, "where tigers crouch and dragons coil."
Thanks Pooblah, can also help me out with the zhu ni pair?
Anyway Happy New Year 2012 to teachatters!
Sorry, I can't. I've been staring at them for a while and they just don't quite make sense to me. I'm still learning Chinese in university, so quite a bit of Chinese is still lost on me. For instance, I understood the crouching tiger hidden dragon phrase without too much difficulty, but I didn't realize it was an idiomatic expression (chengyu) until I looked it up in a dictionary. Apparently it describes perilous places or something like that.
Oh Ok. No probs. I'm a bit shy to say I'm chinese but can't read chinese. Can speak though. If I do get the translation I will share it with you guys as well. Thanks.

Jan 8th, '12, 22:52

by debunix » Jan 8th, '12, 22:52

I don't think this recent discovery is in the same class with the lovely pot featured in the last few posts, but it's slowly growing on me.

I found it among my father's belongings while cleaning out the clutter in his study. He's the one who first encouraged me to drink tea, and he learned his tea lore mostly from his calligraphy friends. I have no idea where this set came from, and my mother doesn't remember how or when he got it. His work took him to once or twice to Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong, but I think I saw most of his treasures from those trips on his return. A lot of his collections came from antique stores, thrift shops, and eBay, and so this could have come from any of those sources, or have been a gift.

The teawares are quite thin pottery,

(curves on the outside are visible on the inside too)

and the teapot is so large (600mL!) that I don't know how or when I'd ever use it. At 125 mL the teacups are more reasonably sized, and like the pot, have different designs on both sides (sea dragon/air dragon?)

But the dragon theme is pretty cool.

The bottom of the teapot just has the same spiraling curves as on the sides:

and this little mark on the inside of the lid is the only identifying mark on the whole set:

I'm guessing it was more made for a showy gift than for tea-making quality, and it's likely to stay mostly on the shelf, given the absurd size of the pot.

I don't think the plate was really intended to go with the set--it's a very different style with the bamboo vs the dragon of the teawares. And again, no identifying marks.

Jan 9th, '12, 00:15

by ArNg » Jan 9th, '12, 00:15

600ml is one large pot but I'm sure you will be able to find an occasion to use the pot. The lid fit seems to be very good and the workmanship looks good. Nice set!

Jan 11th, '12, 15:17

by fdrx » Jan 11th, '12, 15:17

i just received a new yixing teapot:

clay: qing shui ni
size: ~100 ml
pour: 13 sec
filter: flat 9 holes
craftman: shenqun
tea pairing: not sure yet, probably shu pu
price: $60
Attachments
SDC11910.JPG
SDC11910.JPG (24.55 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
SDC11913.JPG
SDC11913.JPG (19.84 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
2CwRIX.jpg
2CwRIX.jpg (31.38 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
Last edited by fdrx on Jan 11th, '12, 17:36, edited 3 times in total.

Jan 11th, '12, 16:07

by Drax » Jan 11th, '12, 16:07

Neat pot, fdrx!

I'm curious, does anybody know the two large characters on the pot?

One is 飲, which is 'drink'...

But the other one, has a radical that looks like 龠 (flute), but, at least in Japanese, there are no characters where this radical appears on the left (same with the simpler 侖, 'think').

Jan 11th, '12, 21:54

by TokyoB » Jan 11th, '12, 21:54

龢 is the character I think. The dictionary says it is an archaic version of 和.

Jan 12th, '12, 06:54

by Drax » Jan 12th, '12, 06:54

Cool beans, thanks, TokyoB!

Jan 12th, '12, 13:51
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Jan 12th, '12, 13:51

Clay: the good kind, hahaha
type of pot: Shi Piao
Size: 60 ml
Age/Year: Modern
Walls: medium
Pour: +/- 10 sec
filter: flat seven hole
Source: mad monk tea shop
Tea Pairing: dark roast WuYi oolong

+ Post Reply