Chinese Oolongs VS Taiwanese Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 5th, '12, 12:36

Chinese Oolongs VS Taiwanese Oolong

by cinemadonkey » Jan 5th, '12, 12:36

Can someone explain to me some of the bigger differences between the two types? Are Taiwanese Oolongs typically just fermented longer?

Jan 5th, '12, 13:24

Re: Chinese Oolongs VS Taiwanese Oolong

by AdamMY » Jan 5th, '12, 13:24

Chinese Oolongs are from China, and Taiwanese Oolongs are from Taiwan. That is about as helpful as I can be based on the question asked. From China and Taiwan there are a huge variety of different oolongs made in each place. Some can have very little oxidation, while others can be heavily oxidized, some are even roasted. All of those things can occur with oolongs in each country, so unless you have a more specific question we can't help you much more.

I guess what I am trying to say, is unless you are asking about typical difference between two types, say Green Tie Guan Yin, and High Mountain Ali shan, we can not be more specific.

Jan 5th, '12, 14:02

by teaisme » Jan 5th, '12, 14:02

Hi donkey :mrgreen:
China:Dancong, anxi style greener oolong, wuyi style oolong

Taiwan: High mountain tea, oriental beauty, roasted tgy, oriental beauty, boazhong

There are many other styles too.

Those are some general styles of oolong that each country is known for. To answer your question you need to try out all those different styles to get a better idea. I don't think you will gleam too much from words. They can overlap, like roasted tgy is made in both countries (though outcome seems rather different). A green anxi tgy can have similarities to boazhong depending on processing.
Taiwanese style high mountain tea (and really any style of tea there is a demand for) can be processed and grown in china (and other countries).
Here is an example of taiwanese style grown in china.
http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... oduct=1881

Rather strange to compare country to country, after all taiwanese people were chinese not too long ago....maybe best to break it down into style of oolong if you want to compare things (though even then processing can change things so much)

Jan 5th, '12, 16:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » Jan 5th, '12, 16:02

teaisme wrote: Rather strange to compare country to country, after all taiwanese people were chinese not too long ago...
Ethnic groups
98% Han
2% Taiwanese aborigines
(70% Hoklo)
(14% Hakka)
(14% Waishengren)
i think you mean the population living on the island increasing became Han Chinese over the centuries.

Jan 5th, '12, 16:35

by teaisme » Jan 5th, '12, 16:35

yes that is exactly what I meant, I should have added the word 'most' for thorough readers like you !

98% han...no freaking way (yes I know what wiki and cia says....but no freaking way.

I think a lot of taiwanese people don't like to be associated with the aboriginals, but truth is many intermingled and mixed together more then taiwanese people would like to admit (so says genetic tests). To say that 98% are han is well....misleading. I can feel the headhunter in me :mrgreen:

Jan 5th, '12, 17:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » Jan 5th, '12, 17:16

teaisme wrote: 98% han...no freaking way (yes I know what wiki and cia says....but no freaking way.
I think a lot of taiwanese people don't like to be associated with the aboriginals, but truth is many intermingled and mixed together more then taiwanese people would like to admit (so says genetic tests). To say that 98% are han is well....misleading. I can feel the headhunter in me :mrgreen:
teaisme, headhunter? care to elaborate :lol: i agree that individuals and societies make claims that genetic testing cannot substantiate. i just quickly posted those figures, but even other numbers won't simplify a complex country. it's already hard enough to get straight answers about taiwanese vs. chinese oolong tea. :lol:

Jan 9th, '12, 13:46

by teaisme » Jan 9th, '12, 13:46

hehe a few of my ancestors were/are paiwan aboriginals

+ Post Reply