Chart or guide to number of steepings?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jan 9th, '12, 12:56

Chart or guide to number of steepings?

by SimonRichie » Jan 9th, '12, 12:56

I've seen a lot of general information about which teas can be resteeped and how many times, but does anyone know of a chart listing such a thing?

Jan 9th, '12, 13:11

Re: Chart or guide to number of steepings?

by debunix » Jan 9th, '12, 13:11

I've never seen one. It depends so much on the quantity of leaf and length of the infusions and how much you like the 'sweet water' where the flavor is fading but still barely present at the end. As a general rule, the key is to keep going with steeps until there isn't enough flavor to enjoy it, or you're too sloshingly full of tea to drink more (and if the tea is really good, you can save the leaves for more).

I like my tea a little more dilute than most, and often get more steeps than other folks here because of that. I usually anticipate 3-4 steeps for white teas, 4-6 for green teas, 6-10 for oolongs, 10-20 for really fine Dan Cong oolongs, 1-3 for yunnan black teas, and 10-30 for puerhs.

Hope that gives you some idea....

Jan 10th, '12, 09:06

Re: Chart or guide to number of steepings?

by sherubtse » Jan 10th, '12, 09:06

debunix wrote:I like my tea a little more dilute than most, and often get more steeps than other folks here because of that. I usually anticipate 3-4 steeps for white teas, 4-6 for green teas, 6-10 for oolongs, 10-20 for really fine Dan Cong oolongs, 1-3 for yunnan black teas, and 10-30 for puerhs.
On the other hand, I like my tea rather strong. So I never get more than 3 brews from any white or green. And the third brew is usually just coloured water.

Like debunix said, it really comes down to personal taste and preferences.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

+ Post Reply