Grassy / vegetal flavors

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 6th, '11, 07:18

Grassy / vegetal flavors

by Noonie » Nov 6th, '11, 07:18

I've been drinking loose leaf tea (daily) for a few months. I'm still experimenting with different types of tea, though I've found I do not like tea with what I think is described as a grassy and/or vegetal Flavour. One tea I've had where I find this flavor too strong for my liking is dragonwell tea. I'm guessing that not all dragon well teas have this flavor, so I'm not completely ruling them out.

Anyway, my question - are most (or just some) green teas noted for this type of flavor?

Being new I'm still buying new types of tea to see what I like, though I'm starting to narrow down what I know I really like (Darjeeling, wuyi oolong, Formosa oolong, tie guan yin--with these I've tried several different types of each and liked all of them).

I haven't tried a lot of green, but if you have suggestions of types that are not what I describe as grassy /vegetal, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Nov 6th, '11, 11:05
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Grassy / vegetal flavors

by Chip » Nov 6th, '11, 11:05

For dragonwell, maybe bringing the temp down a bit will help. And/or brew time and/or how much leaf you use.

I tend to gravitate towards the greens that are more veggie/grassy. :mrgreen:

Nov 6th, '11, 20:01

by debunix » Nov 6th, '11, 20:01

I have found a LOT of variation in the grassiness of dragonwell. Some is very nutty, some sharp, some more delicately pea-sweet (my personal preference). Different grades, different sources all seem to vary a lot.

Nov 13th, '11, 02:46

by SlientSipper » Nov 13th, '11, 02:46

Noonie wrote:I've been drinking loose leaf tea (daily) for a few months. I'm still experimenting with different types of tea, though I've found I do not like tea with what I think is described as a grassy and/or vegetal Flavour. One tea I've had where I find this flavor too strong for my liking is dragonwell tea. I'm guessing that not all dragon well teas have this flavor, so I'm not completely ruling them out.

Anyway, my question - are most (or just some) green teas noted for this type of flavor?

Being new I'm still buying new types of tea to see what I like, though I'm starting to narrow down what I know I really like (Darjeeling, wuyi oolong, Formosa oolong, tie guan yin--with these I've tried several different types of each and liked all of them).

I haven't tried a lot of green, but if you have suggestions of types that are not what I describe as grassy /vegetal, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Kuding-Cha is quite grassy and can be quite bitter.
It also one of the easiest to brew.
I think Pouchong can be grassy too.

Dec 31st, '11, 16:50

by joelbct » Dec 31st, '11, 16:50

Chip wrote:I tend to gravitate towards the greens that are more veggie/grassy. :mrgreen:
Mwahaha, Chiran Kago super-grass ;)

For Dragonwell, I prefer the nutty savory batches.

Japanese tea is usually the grassiest, in a good way, although low end Chinese can be grassy in a bad way...

Dec 31st, '11, 17:45

by Chip » Dec 31st, '11, 17:45

joelbct wrote:Japanese tea is usually the grassiest, in a good way, although low end Chinese can be grassy in a bad way...
+1!

Jan 1st, '12, 01:59

by FlyedPiper » Jan 1st, '12, 01:59

Greens in general are grassy/vegital... especially Chinese greens. I'd get into roasted oolongs and puerhs- those might be more up your alley.

Jan 1st, '12, 02:11

by kasey » Jan 1st, '12, 02:11

Green teas in general tend to be fussy with regard to brewing temperature and time. Try gunpowder tea. It's got a very tasty sweet/smoky pungency to it. 175 degrees at 3 minutes.

Jan 11th, '12, 08:39

by joelbct » Jan 11th, '12, 08:39

Chip wrote:
joelbct wrote:Japanese tea is usually the grassiest, in a good way, although low end Chinese can be grassy in a bad way...
+1!

The word "grassy" gets thrown around a lot, but I've never actually eaten grass come to think of it, so I'm not sure it's the word I'd use... Must be some sort of vestigial collective-ancestor memory instinct, did we have grass-eating ancestors? lol maybe we didn't actually...

So I would say, good Japanese Sencha is vegetal in a succulent, balanced, composed, intense, flavorful, moderately acidic/astringent, generally delicious way.

Low-end Chinese Green, and sometimes low-end Japanese, like store-bought bagged tea, is vegetal in a harsh, shallow, grating, bitter, two-dimensional way...

Jan 11th, '12, 09:05
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jan 11th, '12, 09:05

joelbct wrote:
Chip wrote:
+1!

The word "grassy" gets thrown around a lot, but I've never actually eaten grass come to think of it, so I'm not sure it's the word I'd use... Must be some sort of vestigial collective-ancestor memory instinct, did we have grass-eating ancestors? lol maybe we didn't actually...

So I would say, good Japanese Sencha is vegetal in a succulent, balanced, composed, intense, flavorful, moderately acidic/astringent, generally delicious way.

Low-end Chinese Green, and sometimes low-end Japanese, like store-bought bagged tea, is vegetal in a harsh, shallow, grating, bitter, two-dimensional way...
Smell of fresh cut grass, no need to eat it :lol: At least one idea where it comes from.

Jan 11th, '12, 09:11

by Chip » Jan 11th, '12, 09:11

+1 ... exactly what I was thinking. Though not so fond memories ... :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply