LA Times article featuring some Teachat members...

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 12th, '12, 17:00

LA Times article featuring some Teachat members...

by bearsbearsbears » Jan 12th, '12, 17:00

LA Times article featuring a couple of us on Teachat.

Posting this in the Pu-Erh forum because the article discusses mostly that...including my license plate! :mrgreen:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 5451.story

Jan 12th, '12, 17:09

Re: LA Times article featuring some Teachat members...

by woozl » Jan 12th, '12, 17:09

Read the comments, fun stuff. :lol:
Nice plate mon.

Jan 12th, '12, 17:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jan 12th, '12, 17:13

That was a fun read, thanks for sharing!

Out of curiousity, how did the journalist pick up on the story? Is she part of the group?

Jan 12th, '12, 17:21

by teaisme » Jan 12th, '12, 17:21

Always good to see yourself in the news :mrgreen:

I was a bit surprised at how many negative comments and bickering an article written by one viewpoint can cause

r-e-s-p-e-c-t tell me what it means to me.... :wink:

Jan 12th, '12, 17:26

by wyardley » Jan 12th, '12, 17:26

teaisme wrote: I was a bit surprised at how many negative comments and bickering an article written by one viewpoint can cause
I think part of that is just because of the slant / tone of the article. And some of it is just because extremes of anything are an easy thing to make fun of.

For the record, I don't think the "dirty bandage" tea was a rare vintage pu'er.

Jan 12th, '12, 17:36

by teaisme » Jan 12th, '12, 17:36

wyardley wrote:
teaisme wrote:
For the record, I don't think the "dirty bandage" tea was a rare vintage pu'er.

seriously though how does she know what dirty bandage tastes like... :)

Jan 12th, '12, 18:03

by bearsbearsbears » Jan 12th, '12, 18:03

She found the group by finding my review on Yelp of a teashop she visited as part of her original story idea (Taiwanese tea culture in LA) and chatting me up online. The rest, I blame on wyardley. :lol:

Jan 12th, '12, 18:12

by wyardley » Jan 12th, '12, 18:12

If you all didn't notice, Teachat gets a mention too, though it's referred to as "a TeaChat forum" rather than "the TeaChat forum".

Jan 12th, '12, 18:44

by Drax » Jan 12th, '12, 18:44

Very cool!

I had to laugh at that bit with "a TeaChat forum", wyardley...! Though I did so because she even spelled it "TeaChat"...

As for the comments... I rarely read comments anymore and I purposefully avoided them for this article in order to taint myself with the inevitable snideness.

Jan 12th, '12, 19:18

by debunix » Jan 12th, '12, 19:18

Irony: the article, as I read it on a computer not tricked out with ad-blocking software, was accompanied by an ad for.....

....wait for it....

Teavana!

Jan 12th, '12, 19:35

by Chasen » Jan 12th, '12, 19:35

wyardley wrote:If you all didn't notice, Teachat gets a mention too, though it's referred to as "a TeaChat forum" rather than "the TeaChat forum".
I certainly noticed--I lived in the Echo Park area for many years before I moved to Silver Lake, which is just a hop, skip 'n jump away. Now I live atop Mt. Washington, so I don't get over that way much. We seem to do everything in South Pas and Pas now. I do miss it, though--it was a great little community back in the day (when I was in my 20's and 30's) before we all "grew up" :roll: and went our separate ways. With folks like you there, I trust it still is, now you 'youngsters' are holding down the fort. It was nice to see the article and, along with your name, I even recognised your face, Yardley. It was neat, especially since I'm such a newbie on TeaChat. Like seeing friends in my morning paper (in a good way, of course). Cool! :mrgreen:

Jan 12th, '12, 22:24

by Chip » Jan 12th, '12, 22:24

Wow, that is great! Unfortunately you cannot control what is in the final article, but great job anyway. Thanks for sharing this with us.

I also saw the reporter sort of mentioned TeaChat ...

Jan 31st, '12, 10:26

by wh&yel-apprentice » Jan 31st, '12, 10:26

debunix wrote:Irony: the article, as I read it on a computer not tricked out with ad-blocking software, was accompanied by an ad for.....

....wait for it....

Teavana!
Not irony, just better Google ads placement savvy on the part of the low-end advertisers. Irony that an article on high-end tea drinking...using this other link to the story (w/o ad blocking gives you tons of Google ad placement by the lowest of the low-end and yet no Adagio ads), gives you sidebar 'FROM THE ARCHIVES' tea related stories, but missing is the one Thi did on Imen from 2009 :( ...high-end Dan Cong:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/12 ... a-20120112

Not a very well written article, but sadly such is the case with dime store (yeah, I'm ancient) journalism, or what passes for it in the LATimes these days.

yancha that costs $130/25gm...not 28g, but 25g ...so which is the particular tea in question, from what vendor???
deciding on the perfect pot to use for the medium-roast Fujian tea he wanted to drink on a recent afternoon.

He packed 10 grams into a clay teapot smaller than his fist. The rare tea is a luxury that can cost $130 for just 25 grams. Called a "rock tea" in Chinese, the variety has a distinct taste because of the way it's grown in the cracks of Fujian province's steep cliffs.
What is medium-roast? (loaded Q :) )

"distinct taste because of the way it's grown[ in the cracks of Fujian province's steep cliffs.]" <<<we can debate that one too :p

*edit* link in OP, now shows no comments posted for the story :D ...the wonders of online moderation(censorship)?

Jan 31st, '12, 10:34

by gasninja » Jan 31st, '12, 10:34

wh&yel-apprentice wrote:
debunix wrote:Irony: the article, as I read it on a computer not tricked out with ad-blocking software, was accompanied by an ad for.....

....wait for it....

Teavana!
Not irony, just better Google ads placement savvy on the part of the low-end advertisers. Irony that an article on high-end tea drinking...using this other link to the story (w/o ad blocking gives you tons of Google ad placement by the lowest of the low-end and yet no Adagio ads), gives you sidebar 'FROM THE ARCHIVES' tea related stories, but missing is the one Thi did on Imen from 2009 :( ...high-end Dan Cong:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/12 ... a-20120112

Not a very well written article, but sadly such is the case with dime store (yeah, I'm ancient) journalism, or what passes for it in the LATimes these days.

yancha that costs $130/25gm...not 28g, but 25g ...so which is the particular tea in question, from what vendor???
deciding on the perfect pot to use for the medium-roast Fujian tea he wanted to drink on a recent afternoon.

He packed 10 grams into a clay teapot smaller than his fist. The rare tea is a luxury that can cost $130 for just 25 grams. Called a "rock tea" in Chinese, the variety has a distinct taste because of the way it's grown in the cracks of Fujian province's steep cliffs.
What is medium-roast? (loaded Q :) )

"distinct taste because of the way it's grown[ in the cracks of Fujian province's steep cliffs.]" <<<we can debate that one too :p

*edit* link in OP, now shows no comments posted for the story :D ...the wonders of online moderation(censorship)?

Huh???

Jan 31st, '12, 11:10

by tortoise » Jan 31st, '12, 11:10

The subtext of the article seems to be "Isn't this bizarre!".

I guess any "obsession" outside of football is too fringe for 98% of Americans. :roll:

Handsome pic of you two though. Looks like you all were having fun.

+ Post Reply