Orange Pekoe

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jan 12th, '12, 12:21

Orange Pekoe

by PamEast » Jan 12th, '12, 12:21

Please don't wince at the subject line of this message... it's not me... really.

I've been talking about tea with my dad, and he feels "there is nothing better than a good old Lipton tea bag". blech....

I'd like to introduce him to the joys, and health benefits, of whole leaf tea. I thought a good place to start is with something that has at least something in common with the flavor of his beloved orange pekoe tea bags. I know it's black tea, but the flavor of black teas varies so wildly depending on where it comes from.

Any suggestions that might "taste like tea" to him? I'm hoping to show him the difference between a good cup of tea and floor sweepings, but it won't fly if it doesn't have similar flavor characteristics.

Thanks!

Pam

Jan 12th, '12, 12:28
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Orange Pekoe

by Chip » Jan 12th, '12, 12:28

You can't win every tea battle. But I would suggest Ceylon OP perhaps. Or a decent Ceylon. Ceylon had been used a lot in Lipton ... at least before Kenyan became the new low baller.

Jan 12th, '12, 17:12

by PamEast » Jan 12th, '12, 17:12

Just brewed my dad a nice cup of Ceylon Sonata. Dad drank it, shrugged and said "it's ok." I don't think I've made a convert.

Oh well...

Pam

Jan 12th, '12, 17:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 12th, '12, 17:15

OK, maybe you need to rock his world with something more ... interesting.

Or maybe dear ole dad is too stubborn to admit a tea is better than his cheap Lipton since he is still trying to teach you a lesson :idea: :?: :!: :mrgreen:

Jan 12th, '12, 17:25

by PamEast » Jan 12th, '12, 17:25

Chip wrote:Or maybe dear ole dad is too stubborn to admit a tea is better than his cheap Lipton since he is still trying to teach you a lesson :idea: :?: :!: :mrgreen:
LOL... I think you nailed it. His main comment about the tea I brewed him was "I wouldn't pay more for it". So I expect cost is one of the factor, even though Ceylon Sonata is hardly an expensive tea. I also think he balks when it comes to convenience. He doesn't want to "fuss". He just wants to drop a cheap bag into hot water and be done with it.

At least he DOES drink some tea! Better than coffee all the time like my father-in-law was.

Pam

Jan 12th, '12, 17:30

by teaisme » Jan 12th, '12, 17:30

adagio ceylon?! No that wont do for someone set in their ways...

http://www.jingteashop.com/pd-jing-tea- ... d-zsxz.cfm

:wink:

this years is real nice just had some last night
great value and perfect for winter

btw at $13/100g it is cheaper per cup then his lipton...another selling point...tell him its Sherlock Holmes favorite tea too :mrgreen:

Jan 12th, '12, 18:22

by verus » Jan 12th, '12, 18:22

Agree with the Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong...

You could also try a good Darjeeling second flush. They're a bit more delicate and interesting than most of the tea that is sold as breakfast blend, but not so different that it'll scare him.

Or you could try a "dark" white tea like Pai Mu Tan, or Shou Mei. They're pretty accessible teas, they have some natural sweetness that make them likeable to most people.

Feb 18th, '12, 11:01

by Tead Off » Feb 18th, '12, 11:01

PamEast wrote:Please don't wince at the subject line of this message... it's not me... really.

I've been talking about tea with my dad, and he feels "there is nothing better than a good old Lipton tea bag". blech....

I'd like to introduce him to the joys, and health benefits, of whole leaf tea. I thought a good place to start is with something that has at least something in common with the flavor of his beloved orange pekoe tea bags. I know it's black tea, but the flavor of black teas varies so wildly depending on where it comes from.

Any suggestions that might "taste like tea" to him? I'm hoping to show him the difference between a good cup of tea and floor sweepings, but it won't fly if it doesn't have similar flavor characteristics.

Thanks!

Pam
Most of the responses have been substitutions for black tea. What originally woke me up to the joys of tea more than 20 years ago was Tie Guan Yin. It's accessibility, wonderful aroma and pleasant, interesting flavor, have remained a favorite of mine and opened a world that I had never knew existed. Before that, it was the tea bag and some herbals.

+ Post Reply