"My" Cold Brewing Method

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jul 19th, '11, 09:29

"My" Cold Brewing Method

by RachelC » Jul 19th, '11, 09:29

I was recently asked about cold brewing since I have been a bit of a cold brewing nut as of late. Maybe a bit of a “Mad Scientist of Loose Leaf.” As a result, I have written a blog post about my experiences and how you can replicate them. Of course this information is based on my personal preferences, but I have had consistent delicious results. Your personal tastes may be different but what I have provided may be a wonderful start. At least I hope it is… Here you go…

http://iheartteas.teatra.de/2011/07/my- ... ew-method/

Thank you and Enjoy! :D

I hope I put this in the right place. Thanks!

Jul 19th, '11, 21:47

Re: "My" Cold Brewing Method

by Olmanrivah » Jul 19th, '11, 21:47

OK, I'm game. I'll try a batch. I guess you can place the container in the frig while it's brewing. Do you periodically, stir it or just put the tea in, add the water, and let it brew.

Interesting............... :idea:

Jul 19th, '11, 22:19

by woozl » Jul 19th, '11, 22:19

9g/liter, 12hrs. in the frigo.
Strain, enjoy. Not rocket science,
based on good lea :shock:

Jul 20th, '11, 14:19

by Olmanrivah » Jul 20th, '11, 14:19

Just made a batch and should ready tomorrow morning. It does take a lot of tea leaves per cup. Not going to use my Assam. :lol:

Jul 22nd, '11, 22:14

by Olmanrivah » Jul 22nd, '11, 22:14

Well. I tried it. I think in situations where hot water isn't available it does make a fair tea.

It doesn't have the aroma and taste of a brewed tea. And it takes more tea per volume.

If I have hot water I prefer hot brewed. 8)

Sep 16th, '11, 10:22

by blueye » Sep 16th, '11, 10:22

I did tried cold tea brewing but only for japanese green as recommended by the manufacturer. It taste nicer too.

For now I would pass for other chinese tea cold brewing.

Sep 19th, '11, 10:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 19th, '11, 10:10

blueye wrote:I did tried cold tea brewing but only for japanese green as recommended by the manufacturer. It taste nicer too.

For now I would pass for other chinese tea cold brewing.
Welcome to TeaChat!

I have cold brewed Japanese greens in the past, but it is not my desire to cold brew expensive teas. Usually I would cold brew selections I did not like hot, but it is rare that I purchase one that I do not like hot. I did just receive a sencha that is not great, might try it cold brewed.

Usually I will hot brew a later steep of sencha for iced tea instead. Quite refreshing, but not exactly potent! But I like it ... :mrgreen:

Sep 21st, '11, 07:06

by sherubtse » Sep 21st, '11, 07:06

Chip wrote: I have cold brewed Japanese greens in the past, but it is not my desire to cold brew expensive teas. Usually I would cold brew selections I did not like hot,
+1.

I use the cold-brewing method to use some some left-over tea that I am not really fond of, but which I don't want to waste either. The results have been pleasant, but not as great as when brewing in hot / water.

Still, the method has come in very handy for me. :)

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Sep 21st, '11, 20:25

by RachelC » Sep 21st, '11, 20:25

Wow, I am so excited so many tried this. It really is a fun way to try tea cold. Plus, the same tea hot has the potential to be so different cold brewed giving you a different experience entirely. As far as stirring while in the fridge, no. I just leave it be and strain the next day.

Please, continue to share your stories. It is so fun to read about your experiences. :D

Jan 9th, '12, 10:49

by SimonRichie » Jan 9th, '12, 10:49

I cold brew oolong teabags, two per 14-oz. glass or bottle, or I swap one with a local grocery store's white tea in a tea bag, and let it sit at room temperature overnight.

This is my on-the-go tea.

I started this because of the news that cold-steeped tea has more antioxidants.

This video is pretty interesting, health-wise.

http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/cold-s ... green-tea/

Jan 12th, '12, 21:15

by SimonRichie » Jan 12th, '12, 21:15

WHOA!

My Adagio order came on the 9th (three days ago) and since then I haven't drank my cold-brew.

But I did leave it in the bottle.

I always noticed some white haze and film left on the bottle or glass the next day. Well, yesterday I noticed the cold brew had started to look like kombucha, with big white floating masses.

Today, mold on the bottle.

So I guess the lesson here is to drink it the next day or throw it out.

Jan 12th, '12, 22:20

by Chip » Jan 12th, '12, 22:20

So you had this in the fridge and it still got moldy that quickly? Did you leave the leaves in all that time too?

A touch of honey acts as a natural preservative. I use this for 5th to 7th steeps of sencha ... but I do hot brew it with boiling water endeavoring to draw out any remaining flavor (which is basically sweet tea water even before adding any honey).

With the added touch of honey, the tea retains its attractive color and retains its flavor for up to several days.

Jan 12th, '12, 22:23

by SimonRichie » Jan 12th, '12, 22:23

No fridge. I "cold brew" at room temperature. Normally I drink it within 24 hours.

Jan 12th, '12, 22:26

by Chip » Jan 12th, '12, 22:26

SimonRichie wrote:No fridge. I "cold brew" at room temperature. Normally I drink it within 24 hours.
Ohhhhhh ...

Feb 7th, '13, 14:31

by RachelC » Feb 7th, '13, 14:31

It is nice to see that even in the dead of winter people are still cold brewing their tea. I drink cold brew and other RTD's everyday no matter the weather or time of year.

Just wanted to let you know I have added a ton of new blog posts on my new site...

http://www.iHeartTeasTheBlog.com

I eat Sencha, infuse tea with alcohol and more. I will probably be moving this "My" Cold Brew Method" post to this new domain.
Last edited by Chip on Feb 7th, '13, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderator edited

+ Post Reply