General Characteristics in Oriental Beauty

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 6th, '12, 17:26

General Characteristics in Oriental Beauty

by tst » Jan 6th, '12, 17:26

I recently tried my first Oriental Beauty (not a high quality sample by any means) and we all seemed to think the tea had a distinct "citrus" taste" to it.

I'm curious, what distinct characteristics are oriental beauty teas known for? Is a "citrus taste" common?

As always, thanks for any opinions/experiences/input you may have to offer.

Jan 6th, '12, 17:35
Vendor Member

Re: General Characteristics in Oriental Beauty

by TIM » Jan 6th, '12, 17:35

The taste is pure honey plum, muscat, Champaign, perfume. Long lasting sweeting in the back of the throat. Round and full but soft mouth feel. The brew started from light to dark and light again. All in all, more then 12 cups of spectacular color changes for a good grade OB.

Jan 14th, '12, 03:28

by isaac » Jan 14th, '12, 03:28

hi Tim,

which can bring out its flavour better? Will it be a gaiwan or a yixing pot? If yixing, what type of clay is best?

I was at a tea-tasting session and the person uses a glass teapot to brew this tea. It did not occur to me to ask at that time.

Jan 14th, '12, 09:28
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 14th, '12, 09:28

isaac wrote:hi Tim,

which can bring out its flavour better? Will it be a gaiwan or a yixing pot? If yixing, what type of clay is best?

I was at a tea-tasting session and the person uses a glass teapot to brew this tea. It did not occur to me to ask at that time.
IMO, a Taiwanese clay high fired is preferable.

Jan 14th, '12, 10:13

by isaac » Jan 14th, '12, 10:13

Thanks Tim.

Jan 15th, '12, 14:14

by Splinters » Jan 15th, '12, 14:14

I agree with Tim generally on the indescribable, but excellent, taste of oriental beauty. To his list, I'd add vanilla and caramel overtones.

I have seen many oriental beauty teas described as having a citrus taste, but try as I might, I've never had the experience of brewing one that could plausibly be described as citrus. I wish I could, however; anyone know if a particular brewing style brings this characteristic to the fore?

Jan 16th, '12, 17:35
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 16th, '12, 17:35

Splinters wrote:I agree with Tim generally on the indescribable, but excellent, taste of oriental beauty. To his list, I'd add vanilla and caramel overtones.

I have seen many oriental beauty teas described as having a citrus taste, but try as I might, I've never had the experience of brewing one that could plausibly be described as citrus. I wish I could, however; anyone know if a particular brewing style brings this characteristic to the fore?
If you understand a good champaign, that's one of the citrus character described. Brewing a good quality OB needs high heat and flash infusions.

+ Post Reply