Shizuku cha, Gyokuro "drop tea"

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 2nd, '07, 13:55
Scrolling: scrolling

Shizuku cha, Gyokuro "drop tea"

by Chip » Jul 2nd, '07, 13:55

Someone mentioned shizuku cha (sizuku cha) to me over the weekend. I had only heard of it, but decided to google it and see what the buzz was all about. Supposedly, this is a new "Japanese tea trend."

I would be interested on any thoughts on this interesting new trend in gyokuro enjoyment. It sounds pretty intense!!! :shock: But they call it "rich." :roll:

The basic premise is to put around 4 grams of a special grade of gyokuro into a special tiny lidded teacup that looks very much like a Chinese gaiwan, in fact I would swear it is simply a gaiwan. This is interesting, on IM we had spoken about the use of a gaiwan for Japanese tea and why it would not work. And here the use of one is actually a trend in Japan.

The tea is prepared using a "drop method." Basically, 4 grams gyokuro with only around 20 ml (yes, 20 ml, not an error) of water at 40* C poured over the leaf which is then allowed to brew for 1-2 minutes. The brew is drunk directly from the lidded teacup gaiwan style, using the lid as a strainer to hold back any leaf. It is drunk "drop by drop" with the head facing skyward, allowing the concentrated drops of gyokuro brew to sit on the tongue in order to savour the flavor. The flavor is very rich.

This is repeated for 3 infusions, after which it may then be brewed like sencha at 80-90* C and/or even eaten with soy sauce and vinegar or used in other food dishes.

Here is a link which includes a promotional video. Most of the video is about Yame/Fukuoka tea in general, but towards the end, shizuku cha is shared.

http://webtv.pref.fukuoka.lg.jp/en/mov_ ... &s=8&no=43

Also here is another link on shizuku cha.

http://www.o-cha.net/english/kitchen/science/sc04.html

Jul 2nd, '07, 15:18

by teaspoon » Jul 2nd, '07, 15:18

Sounds intriguing, especially since I like Japanese greens. Out of curiosity, why did you determine a gaiwan would not work for Japanese green teas?

~tsp
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Jul 2nd, '07, 15:49

by Chip » Jul 2nd, '07, 15:49

teaspoon wrote:Sounds intriguing, especially since I like Japanese greens. Out of curiosity, why did you determine a gaiwan would not work for Japanese green teas?

~tsp
I think the general consensus was that due to the smaller particles of most Japanese teas compared to say Chinese greens or oolongs, too much leaf might get by the lid.

I guess we are wrong...lol. But still, it would require more careful/skilled use of a gaiwan.

I will try shizuku cha at least once. It must be amazing, but I would not want it too often.

Jul 2nd, '07, 17:29

by Space Samurai » Jul 2nd, '07, 17:29

I stumbled upon this last night: http://www.tamayura.fr/s/fr/objets-de-t ... ?ref=MKO01

I forgot to translate the page, but it said that his vessel was for gyokuro.

Jul 5th, '07, 13:29

by Libertatis » Jul 5th, '07, 13:29

I have never heard of this, it sounds crazy though.

I also think it is crazy that people mix matcha with orange juice and take it like a shot! (yes they mix matcha with orange juice, i know it sounds crazy)

http://www.jambajuice.com/menuguide/matchagreentea.html

I must admit that i love their juice smoothies, but i refuse to mix matha and orange juice.

In a completely unrelated note i found the following quote from wikipedia on Wheatgrass to be absolutely hilarious

In The Simpsons episode "When You Dish upon a Star", Homer invents a cocktail made of wheatgrass and vodka called a "lawnmower".

Jul 5th, '07, 18:22

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 5th, '07, 18:22

*cue Jamaican accent*

boo matcha mixed with orange juice...

hooray lawnmowers!
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jul 5th, '07, 22:57

by Mary R » Jul 5th, '07, 22:57

scruffmcgruff wrote:*cue Jamaican accent*

boo matcha mixed with orange juice...

hooray lawnmowers!
Oh Scruff...you have totally just made my month. :D

Jul 6th, '07, 08:49

by teaspoon » Jul 6th, '07, 08:49

LoL, I love it, Scruff.

To be honest, I'm intrigued by the idea of matcha and oj. I tried using matcha (okay, Stash's Green Iced Tea, but really it's cheap matcha) to make a green tea mojito, and it didn't work so well. The mojito mix I had was too overpowering. Gotta try with just some fresh lime and mint and make it from scratch...

~tsp
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Jul 6th, '07, 11:22

by Mary R » Jul 6th, '07, 11:22

Mmm...call me crazy but a mojito with real lime and mint and matcha sounds awesome.

Jul 9th, '07, 01:27

by augie » Jul 9th, '07, 01:27

teaspoon wrote:
To be honest, I'm intrigued by the idea of matcha and oj. I tried using matcha (okay, Stash's Green Iced Tea, but really it's cheap matcha) to make a green tea mojito, and it didn't work so well. The mojito mix I had was too overpowering. Gotta try with just some fresh lime and mint and make it from scratch...

~tsp
I do the exact same thing, tsp. Green tea (any) and lime juice iced is very refreshing in the summer.

OJ is just way to heavy to mix with tea, for me. Just doesnt sound good.

Dec 4th, '07, 13:08

by Chip » Dec 4th, '07, 13:08

Actually, I am glad you answered this old thread. I was developing a complex.

I have thought about trying this so many times. I suppose I should get a highest grade gyokuro to try it,
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 11th, '08, 10:01

by Chip » Jan 11th, '08, 10:01

This practice seems to have many names but few references and and even fewer resources. I stumbled across this one though...it even has the blue line tjfry mentions. Not too thrilled with the motif, but I might go for it anyway.

Susuricha Gyokuro

From the looks of it, they use around 5 grams in like a couple ounces of water. Super concentrated....and this is only done with super high quality gyokuro.

The super concentrated brew comes out drop by drop. Like a caffeine IV drip...

Sep 4th, '08, 21:03

by Pentox » Sep 4th, '08, 21:03

Libertatis wrote: I also think it is crazy that people mix matcha with orange juice and take it like a shot! (yes they mix matcha with orange juice, i know it sounds crazy)
I actually do this. It's really good. (don't use great matcha for it though you won't notice the difference in taste).

+ Post Reply