Yame Matcha Yame no Hana

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 30th, '11, 11:22

Yame Matcha Yame no Hana

by Ill-literate » Dec 30th, '11, 11:22

Hey guys, I recently ordered a matcha beginners kit from Hakoniwado, which I am very happy with. I am assuming the kit came with the cheaper of their two matchas. At just under $12 CAD I realize it is rather inexpensive. The taste is not bad at all, (although I have nothing to compare it to) at 2 full Chashaku scoops with 80ml of 80°C water it is only slightly bitter. However, I am having trouble achieving a good froth. I am basically mimicking whisking techniques from youtube. My question is, assuming I am whisking correctly, is it possible the lack of froth is due to the low quality of matcha? Also, what other factors may affect the amount of froth? Thanks guys.

Dec 30th, '11, 11:55

Re: Yame Matcha Yame no Hana

by puerhking » Dec 30th, '11, 11:55

When you are making your W pattern with the whisk....try accentuating the stroke with your wrist...a quick flick if you will. The more you practice the better you will get.

Jan 4th, '12, 00:09

by breakawaymatcha » Jan 4th, '12, 00:09

It's entirely possible that it's the grade of matcha. Try an aero latte handheld milk frother and see if it improves.

Jan 6th, '12, 01:44

by SlientSipper » Jan 6th, '12, 01:44

The Freshness is also always a factor.
Also you want to be firm when you stir. Experiement with your strength and the bowl.

Happy matcha consuming.

Jan 9th, '12, 00:03
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jan 9th, '12, 00:03

Your whisk should slightly touch the bottom, 'W' motion might be a bit difficult to do fast enough. I'm moving whisk fast from one side to another side and then just finish with circular motion. This gives me fine froth and creamy texture of liquor, sometimes bigger bubbles appear, but i pop them with whisk when they do appear. Also i didn't really notice any difference between froth of yame no hana and seiho, taste of course is different :)

Jan 9th, '12, 01:53

by Oni » Jan 9th, '12, 01:53

Don`t buy from unknown vendors, I recomend trying the vendors listed at teachat`s vendor guide list. These most of us has tried and they have a good reputation, there are many others that sell below standard quality tea for a high price, try to avoid those.

Jan 9th, '12, 15:10

by Ill-literate » Jan 9th, '12, 15:10

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good advice, I definitely found that working on my technique improved amount of froth and the taste of the Matcha. I think I just needed practice, as the last bowls were by far the best, with no bitterness, and a unique flavor I have not found in other teas which was very tasty.

Jan 28th, '12, 10:18

by Chajin » Jan 28th, '12, 10:18

Are you sieving the tea before using it? That can definitely affect how it whisks. If you don't have a matcha sieve you can just force it through any small sieve or even a tea strainer. Warming the bowl and whisk before making the tea will also make a difference.

Jan 28th, '12, 17:34

by Ill-literate » Jan 28th, '12, 17:34

I just started sieving and it indeed froths up easier and has a better texture. Speaking of sieving, do you sieve enough for each bowl or a larger amount all at once? I've been doing it for each bowl.

Jan 28th, '12, 18:05

by AdamMY » Jan 28th, '12, 18:05

Ill-literate wrote:I just started sieving and it indeed froths up easier and has a better texture. Speaking of sieving, do you sieve enough for each bowl or a larger amount all at once? I've been doing it for each bowl.
Bowl by bowl is generally easier, as the powder tends to get compacted in the scooping process. So you would need to sieve each batch anyway.

Jan 28th, '12, 21:18
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jan 28th, '12, 21:18

Ill-literate wrote:I just started sieving and it indeed froths up easier and has a better texture. Speaking of sieving, do you sieve enough for each bowl or a larger amount all at once? I've been doing it for each bowl.
It's better to reduce contact with air as much as possible, so sieving for each bowl is a lot better, not to mention it will form lumps latter anyway.

For usucha i often skip sieving. I break up big lumps with scoop, add half amount of water and gently mix, then add everything and start whisking. This usually works fine unless matcha is really stale.

I can suggest one more thing to try, what you can do with your matcha... Try it with milk and sugar :) My own preference is 2 scoops of matcha for 50ml water and 50ml milk with one spoon of sugar. First i disolve sugar in water, then same as usuacha, froth is not forming that well, maybe it's because i always use cold milk or because of milk itself. Mathca is probably only one green tea that goes well with sugar.

+ Post Reply